How far are you willing to go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student12x

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Another survey, how far are you willing to go to get good grades? Would you sacrifice sleep, friends etc.? We all know that as premeds, we have to make certain sacrifices that usually other students don't have to. But just how much can a person take?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't sacrifice sleep! How can one even get good grades without appropriate amounts of sleep?!

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably to third base, but then past that, you'd have to buy me dinner.

My friends help me study. I like studying in groups because it gives me a chance to validate my methods and material. Not to mention some of my friends came up with the most interesting ways to remember the kreb cycle. Sleeping is my hobby. I would seriously rather sleep then go out with people.

My real friends know that I will disappear for a month around finals time, and they accept that. :oops:

All the way to the flo!

ill give up pretty much everything except my bollywood movies..lol and since each of them is 3 hours long i dont really study much at all

ill give up pretty much everything except my bollywood movies..lol and since each of them is 3 hours long i dont really study much at all

hell ya yaar haha

Another survey, how far are you willing to go to get good grades? Would you sacrifice sleep, friends etc.? We all know that as premeds, we have to make certain sacrifices that usually other students don't have to. But just how much can a person take?

Sleep is important but you can sleep after you ace the exam. And if they were your "true" friends, then they would understand that achieving your academic goals is very important to you.

Members don't see this ad :)

Oh lord I have not seen any new bollywood movies in forever. Last one I saw was Devdas! (Which rocked, :love: Sharuk Khan).

Oh lord I have not seen any new bollywood movies in forever. Last one I saw was Devdas! (Which rocked, :love: Sharuk Khan).

Tauba! It's alright Senorita, Bade Bade Deshon Mein, Aisi Choti Choti Baatein Hoti Rahti Hain...

you need to watch the following movies:

Main Hoon Na
Paheli
Kal Ho Na Ho
Krrish
36 Chinatown
Salaam E Ishq
Jaan-E-Mann
Dhoom !!!
Dhoom 2 !!!
Partner
Hey Baby
Om Shanti Om!!
Gangster
Jab We Met
Baabul
I See You
Fool N Final
Don
Dil Maange More (one of my all time favorites)
that should be good for now...ill add more later

I would sacrifice everything, but I don't think one needs to. I worried about starting a relationship but if anything it's only improved my grades, so. Go figure.

I've sacrificed a lot to maintain the grades I have, because I take forever to get things done. If I could do it again, I would've developed firm study habits in high school and been more balanced in college. That being said, I'm extremely happy with my success in the application process, and of course hindsight is always 20/20 (or so they say..... :) )

All I have to say is enjoy undergrad while it lasts. While yes, pre-meds do (generally) have to do more work than other undergrad students, the workload is nothing compared to what you'll have in medical school. Spend time with your friends, have a few drinks, go out on the weekends (and weeknights, too). Don't make any major sacrifices at this point, because they're probably not necessary. Work hard and you will be rewarded.

I had good sleeping habits, close friends, and a girlfriend...

...by the time I graduated one semester later, I was an insomniac, had distanced my friends, and broke up w/ my girlfriend...

...but I graduated Hopkins in three years.

Looking back retrospectively, I believe it was worth it. I regained control of my sleep, mended strained friendships, and somehow made my (ex)-girlfriend one of my best friends.

Tauba! It's alright Senorita, Bade Bade Deshon Mein, Aisi Choti Choti Baatein Hoti Rahti Hain...

Main Hoon Na
Paheli
Kal Ho Na Ho
Krrish
36 Chinatown
Salaam E Ishq
Jaan-E-Mann
Dhoom !!!
Dhoom 2 !!!
Partner
Hey Baby
Om Shanti Om!!
Gangster
Jab We Met
Baabul
I See You
Fool N Final
Don

Om Shanti Om!! had such a great soundtrack that I actually bought it way overpriced at the grocer.
36 Chinatown?? That movie was so cheesy, but in a real fun way. The songs were great but some of the acting was just soo hilarious, especially the detective guy and his assistant.

36 chinatown and Jab We Met are proof that shahid and kareena are a good couple...but not as good as Shahid and Amrita Rao!!!! (Ishk Vishk, Vivah) But yeah Om Shanti Om just goes to show that Shahrukh Khan can act circles around anyone...and that pretty girls can nevvvvver do bad in bollywood (deepika, lara dutta, aish, bips)

i never sacrifice sleep. pulling all nighters never worked for me anyway as the next day duringi the test i will be so apathetic from lack of sleep that i end up performing worse that i would have otherwise.

i have a photogenic memory, and when i can go through all of my notes in my mind without looking at them, that's when i know i'm ready for a test.

i sacrifice different amounts of time based off of my class load and how many tests i have that week. some weeks i find myself with absolutely nothing to do, and other weeks, i am pretty busy.

i never sacrifice sleep. pulling all nighters never worked for me anyway as the next day duringi the test i will be so apathetic from lack of sleep that i end up performing worse that i would have otherwise.

i have a photogenic memory, and when i can go through all of my notes in my mind without looking at them, that's when i know i'm ready for a test.

i sacrifice different amounts of time based off of my class load and how many tests i have that week. some weeks i find myself with absolutely nothing to do, and other weeks, i am pretty busy.

We need pics to back up that statement.

:thumbup::laugh: thanks for catching that!

Main Hoon Na
Paheli
Kal Ho Na Ho
Krrish
36 Chinatown
Salaam E Ishq
Jaan-E-Mann
Dhoom !!!
Dhoom 2 !!!
Partner
Hey Baby
Om Shanti Om!!
Gangster
Jab We Met
Baabul
I See You
Fool N Final
Don

wow thats a long list... I have Kal Ho Na Ho's sound tracks, and they are really good. Some of my favorite songs.

when i can go through all of my notes in my mind without looking at them, that's when i know i'm ready for a test.

I do that too. I don't have photographic memory though. I wish I did...

I tend to sacrifice social events, especially if a big exam/paper is coming up. I will only sacrifice so much sleep (I need to get at least 3-4 hours, preferably 5-6) before it's not even worth it to study anymore. Besides, I'm not much of a partier anyway, so it isn't that upsetting for me to not be able to go out. Having to study actually lends itself to being a good way to politely decline invitations for events I don't want to attend.

I've lost like 3 close friends because of my study habits, but its ok because they weren't true friends. My true friends understand completely, and I'm glad I dropped the dead weight. I'm doing a lot better because of it.

Very doable.

Trust me you learn how to live on half of the full amount of sleep i.e. 3-4 hours or on power naps in between.

You should have seen us finals time at the med school before our finals for first semester of grad school. People were camping out on campus by taking only 3-4 hours of sleep at the most if not less even with studying like this far in advance and not like a few days worth.

I know some people who've pulled true all nighters with no sleep and just crashed after the final instead too as was the case for a friend of mine after her ochem final.

I'd sacrifice sleep but not friends. I'd sacrifice some of the time I'd rather be spending with them but not them themselves i.e. betray them esp. if they are someone I'm close to.

We need pics to back up that statement.

:laugh: :laugh: If you don't have one now you develop it. A 3rd year med student told me that a year or two ago when he came to speak to us at an AED meeting. he was an alumni of the organization. Anyhow, I didn't really truly believe him but sure enough he's right because to some degree this semester I was studying so much that when we started studying for the final I could connect the dots between different lectures based on memory of seeing certain slides and certain notes from before. I could pinpoint which powerpoint or which chapter something came from to the Tee on certain topics.

Its just the way it is.

The only time I sacrifice sleep is during test week when a really rough test is the next day. Case in point, I had a Immunology test which I started the final stages of studying for at 1 p.m., I stopped at 9 p.m., slept from 9 p.m to midnight, woke up and studied until the test started at 8 a.m. Of course this doesn't happen for every test, but most normal nights, I'm in bed by 10 pm. and up by 5 a.m.

I would never sacrifice sheep! That's disgusting. Oh wait, you said sleep...

ive had to sacrifice so much that it makes me cry myself to sleep every night....like i havent been able to watch all my shows when they're one....how tragic!!!!!!

I HATE PREMEDICAL STUDIES!

Why would anyoen sacrafice sleep when your brain regenerates its neurons while you're sleeping?
If you misss out on many nights of REM rest you risk memory impairment and detriment to your ability of learning.