How far do Adcoms go in looking up your online profile?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HughMyron

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know they hire investigators to do crap on Facebook and stuff, but do they look at SDN? If so, do they try to match IP addresses to people?

The reason I ask is that I posted some very honest things here, and I'm worried that people might hunt me down for it. I wouldn't put it past an adcom.

Members don't see this ad.

I know they hire investigators to do crap on Facebook and stuff, but do they look at SDN? If so, do they try to match IP addresses to people?

The reason I ask is that I posted some very honest things here, and I'm worried that people might hunt me down for it. I wouldn't put it past an adcom.

Also curious about this

lol wut? I do not think adcoms have time for this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you are doing something really out of line, there is no need to worry about every thing you post on some random online forum.

Consider the time it would take for each person, in addition to the amount of applications they go through. Not sure if they have the time to trace IP addresses. Possibly, they could search you on google. I don't see them doing this to an extreme extent.

Consider the time it would take for each person, in addition to the amount of applications they go through. Not sure if they have the time to trace IP addresses. Possibly, they could search you on google. I don't see them doing this to an extreme extent.

Not to mention that tracing IP addresses doesn't even prove anything.

How are you going to pin down people to an IP address when it's fairly commonplace to:

1) Be on school/work/internet cafe networks
2) Get on/steal other peoples' wi-fi connections
3) generally mask IP addresses through specialized software

Even legally IP addresses don't really mean much.

Not sure if they have the time to trace IP addresses. Possibly, they could search you on google. I don't see them doing this to an extreme extent.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

They don't have time for that. I conducted a fair number of interviews, and I never once searched for that person online.

You run more risk in the school-specific threads - I think quite a few schools (whether they'll admit it or not) follow their threads at least casually. If you haven't shared any identifying information and you don't post ridiculous things, you'll be fine.

Thinking that schools go out on a mission to figure out who people are is absurd, however.

I can guarantee you that medical schools have absolutely no access to your IP address on SDN unless you decide to post it yourself. Same goes for other identifying characteristics of your profile.

They're all covered by our privacy policy.

adcoms don't hire fcking investigators you crazy person.

It's fine to have an opinion, just don't post anything that people can hold against you. People in medicine are very busy with their own lives so I wouldn't be too worried.

I have heard M3 members of the adcom have a thing or two to say about specific applicants who have poor taste in photos that are available on Facebook (it is pretty easy to be the friend of a friend of someone who went to the same college or same HS you went to). So, tighten your privacy settings, if you are going to post pictures of your beer pong prowess.

In all my years here, I've only recognized one applicant as someone I "knew" on SDN. He was non-trad 10 ways to Sunday so it was pretty easy. I "came out" to him later and believe it or not, we're Facebook friends some 5 years later.... and yes, he got admitted, but didn't attend, my school.

word on the street is that they will create a fake profile of a super cute girl/guy, friend you, and get you to reveal your deepest secrets to them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard M3 members of the adcom have a thing or two to say about specific applicants who have poor taste in photos that are available on Facebook (it is pretty easy to be the friend of a friend of someone who went to the same college or same HS you went to). So, tighten your privacy settings, if you are going to post pictures of your beer pong prowess.

In all my years here, I've only recognized one applicant as someone I "knew" on SDN. He was non-trad 10 ways to Sunday so it was pretty easy. I "came out" to him later and believe it or not, we're Facebook friends some 5 years later.... and yes, he got admitted, but didn't attend, my school.

I thought the applicants would recognize you right away during the interview since your profile picture is public on SDN. :confused:

Maybe he's thinking of the picture you see if you look at my profile. Of coures, I don't wear a Catwoman mask at interviews so I'm not sure how many peeps recognize me.

If you have an MDApps profile linked to SDN, they might be able to nail you down based on GPA, MCAT, and/or an activities list. I've even seen a couple of profiles with their personal statement posted.

How do you know this? It is crazy how fear adds so much fuel to people's imagination when it comes to med school. Clearly this is an extreme post. I suggest you stop reading SDN for a month, go out into the real world, shadow a doctor at a hospital, meet other various medical professionals (including med students), and touch base with reality. You will then understand how ridiculous your post and concerns sound. It looks like you spent too much time on here, and you are getting severe paranoid delussions. What's next? Adcoms hiring private investigators to snoop around your home and trash cans? God forbid you start waking up to hallucinations of men wearing black hats and long raincoats....

Seriously, take a break from SDN. I know its addicting like crack, but you clearly need an intervention.

You should be judicious about what you post in public forums. I am realizing that my app is unique enough that it could be pinned to my SDN name pretty fast by any admissions person who hangs out here.

I can't imagine they look for IP addresses though. So if your username isn't your real name, & your app is "normal" enough that you could feasibly be one of a sizable number of applicants, I am sure you're fine. But watch what NickNaylor said about the school-specific threads.

How do you know this? It is crazy how fear adds so much fuel to people's imagination when it comes to med school. Clearly this is an extreme post. I suggest you stop reading SDN for a month, go out into the real world, shadow a doctor at a hospital, meet other various medical professionals (including med students), and touch base with reality. You will then understand how ridiculous your post and concerns sound. It looks like you spent too much time on here, and you are getting severe paranoid delussions. What's next? Adcoms hiring private investigators to snoop around your home and trash cans? God forbid you start waking up to hallucinations of men wearing black hats and long raincoats....

Seriously, take a break from SDN. I know its addicting like crack, but you clearly need an intervention.

Lmao!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

Heh, I don't have any incriminating facebook photos, fortunately. I also keep 2 accounts, one which I speak freely, and the other (my "real" account) which is rigidly censored and I maintain just for personal appearances.

word on the street is that they will create a fake profile of a super cute girl/guy, friend you, and get you to reveal your deepest secrets to them.

Actually that IS what the police do to get students to admit to pot possession and distribution. Gotta love seeing where our tax dollars go.

Geez op, just delete all of your social media accounts and be done with it.:p

stalker adcoms? I thought they are busy with life and all..:laugh:
Just make you don't reveal too much personal stuffs. I personally won't mention EVERYTHING in posts

Last edited: