How far do you commute to school and how long/far is too far?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1Path

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just trying to gather some info on this. I know for the area I live in (metro DC), a commute from a "resonable" place to schools in the city takes about an hour because of traffic. Assuming I get accepted this year, I'll commute at least an hour which doesn't seem too bad to me. Of course, I know for 3rd year, other arrangements will HAVE to be made.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be commuting about 20-30 minutes but it will be through farming communities and rolling hills. I'm looking forward to it. :)

I commute about 15 minutes to go to school. Hence, that is my limit. Anything over 15 minutes is too long :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Geronimo said:
I'll be commuting about 20-30 minutes but it will be through farming communities and rolling hills. I'm looking forward to it. :)

I had a similar commute to UNC but you'll hate it when you're late to class because a truck with horses and cows on it, gets in front of you for 28 of a 30 mile commute. :mad: :laugh:

When I was in the Masters program at BU I commuted 45 min to an hour. I sucked it up because it was a choice that I made but if I had to do it over again I would not live more than a 30 minute commute away. I had to change from bus to bus, or bus to train to bus to get to campus. The upside was that I was able to read so many books and it gave me a chance to wake up before class. But getting home at a reasonable hour was never possible and I didn't like having to wait at bus stops alone at night. The tid bit of wisdom I'm trying to impart by this complaint is that HOW you commute matters as much as HOW LONG. If I had to drive an hour, well that might not be such a big deal.

Anything longer than 25 minutes from getting in my car to finding a parking spot is too long for me personally.

I do Wilmington to Philly almost everyday and I hate it. On a good day it will take 30 minutes but most days it's about 40 minutes. It takes me some time to unwind from the ride so I end up with almost an hour of unproductive time.

15 minutes and anything over 30 minutes (each way) would be too much IMHO...that is about one hour a day stuck in the car which I could be studying...again *if* there is no option then you have to do what you have to do....but when there is *an* option to NOT commute as much versus drive your arse off then you have to reconsider IMHO...

I commute anywhere from 17min-1.5 hrs depending on traffic and time of day. Usually it's around 45minutes each way. Lately I've been using the time to listen to recorded lectures so I feel it's not completely wasted....and some days I use the drive home to relax and collect my thoughts. It can get frustrating though. As for 3rd year, I don't think it will be a huge problem b/c of the off hours I will be driving...should only take 20min or so.
I guess the point is that it's possible to do it, especially if you have to. Good luck.

For me, the commute was always <20 minutes. But, parking is a huge issue at a lot of schools. So, even though we're in a smaller town, you have to factor in the time to get from the commuter lot to class. Or, if you park in the pay ramps, it gets really expensive.

On the other hand, if you are taking public transportation, a longer commute isn't that bad because it's extra study time. And, the taped lectures in the car is a good deal too - one of my friends drove in from about 40 minutes away, but that's almost a whole lecture :)

1Path said:
Just trying to gather some info on this. I know for the area I live in (metro DC), a commute from a "resonable" place to schools in the city takes about an hour because of traffic. Assuming I get accepted this year, I'll commute at least an hour which doesn't seem too bad to me. Of course, I know for 3rd year, other arrangements will HAVE to be made.

Traffic in our area sucks though. Rush hour is so aggravating. Are you sure you want to deal with that every single day for 2 years? If you live by a metro station, wouldn't it be so much easier to take the metro to class?