How far do you plan on living near the medical school at which you are accepted?

How far?

• 5 minutes away

Votes: 31 50.8%
  • 10-15 minutes away

Votes: 23 37.7%
  • 20-30 minutes away

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • 30+

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters

MaryWrathers

10+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
5 minutes away
10-15 minutes away
20-30 minutes away
30+ minutes away

Please post your future living situation. For example, do you think you will live in an apt. across the street from med school? Are you going to live in a house that you built on 5 acres 20-30 minutes from school? Are you going to live with your parents? Are you going to have roommates, live alone, or live with spouse et al.? Just curious.

CaramelDlite

Academic Gangsta
10+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
MaryWrathers said:
5 minutes away
10-15 minutes away
20-30 minutes away
30+ minutes away

Please post your future living situation. For example, do you think you will live in an apt. across the street from med school? Are you going to live in a house that you built on 5 acres 20-30 minutes from school? Are you going to live with mommy and daddy? Are you going to have roommates, live alone, or live with spouse et al.? Just curious.
I think I actually prefer to live in dorms the first year if they are available. I think they help build a good support system

About the Ads

jstuds_66

Free cat to a good home
10+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
USA
Status
Attending Physician
I guess I'm a little slow on the draw .... could someone please explain what it is you mean by "bump"?

defrunner

I'm Greased Up
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
bump = bring up my post

This gets your post higher up the food chain of the forum, if you want to get it noticed.

MirrorTodd

It's a gas.
10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Nowhere
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I would prefer to live as close to campus as possible, if not on campus.

phenylalanine

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
going to be living in med student dorm here :) ....oh... 30-40 steps from classes?

DrMichelle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I'm working at EVMS this summer, and I am renting 5 minutes away. I LOVE IT.

Perfect distance :)

joanofarc0907

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I want to be able to walk to campus. If that means dorms or an apt. nearby then that is that. I can deal with something a little farther, but I don't want to do a commute by any means

GreekPre-Med

GreekPre-Med
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2004
Status
I will be living in downtown detroit, about 10 minutes away from wayne state university.

Emmanuel melonakos

jackieMD2007

***MVI***
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
The Hospital
Status
Resident [Any Field]
joanofarc0907 said:
I want to be able to walk to campus. If that means dorms or an apt. nearby then that is that. I can deal with something a little farther, but I don't want to do a commute by any means
Right, so that you can study and get all of that work done at school.
When I go home, I like to try to just be at home and not be "trailing" work with me if I can avoid it. But if school and home are far apart, there is more of a tendency to not want to have to drive home, etc, when it is late and I am tired, so I would end up doing more studying at home when I should be kickin' it. Or something like that. :thumbup:

ph8

the game is afoot...
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
MaryWrathers said:
5 minutes away
10-15 minutes away
20-30 minutes away
30+ minutes away

Please post your future living situation. For example, do you think you will live in an apt. across the street from med school? Are you going to live in a house that you built on 5 acres 20-30 minutes from school? Are you going to live with your parents? Are you going to have roommates, live alone, or live with spouse et al.? Just curious.
Did you leave out the option "Library/Study Hall" on purpose? :rolleyes:

Dr. Pepper

Duffman in Disguise
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2005
Behind the orange juice....
Status
Medical Student
MaryWrathers said:
5 minutes away
10-15 minutes away
20-30 minutes away
30+ minutes away

I don't know about you guys, but I don't think it's in your best interest to really be that far away from the school just because driving can be very dangerous after long nights of studying...I know this problem is most prominent during resid., but just a thought.

Congrats to all of you, good luck next year.
-Dr. P.

spospo

Going to extremes
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2006
The 'kane
Status
Medical Student
i would definitely want to live close (less than 10 minutes walking if possible). it makes life easier. you don't have to leave early due to traffic/to find parking. if you forgot something, you can run home real quick. it's easier to go home for dinner then go back to the library when done. when i lived farther off campus during undergrad, it was really just annoying to go back to school after i had already left. PLUS, you can save tons of money on gas by living close :thumbup:

maestro1625

10+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2006
Status
Medical Student
GreekPre-Med said:
I will be living in downtown detroit, about 10 minutes away from wayne state university.

Emmanuel melonakos
hey, where at? It's where I'd like to be if I end up at Wayne, and I really dont know what's availible for housing...

...too people I know say they'd just rather live with thier parents in oakland country if they go there.

joanofarc0907

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
jackieMD2007 said:
Right, so that you can study and get all of that work done at school.
When I go home, I like to try to just be at home and not be "trailing" work with me if I can avoid it. But if school and home are far apart, there is more of a tendency to not want to have to drive home, etc, when it is late and I am tired, so I would end up doing more studying at home when I should be kickin' it. Or something like that. :thumbup:
Actually I almost never study at school. I hate libraries. I hope there is a good coffee shop nearby where-ever I end up going because that is where I get the most work done. I just want to be within walking distance so that i can sleep longer in the am. I am so not a morning person!!

About the Ads