1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

How far in advance can you accept LOR?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by vin5cent0, Aug 2, 2011.

1. vin5cent0

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm ending my internship for the summer, and I got a fairly glowing review from my supervisor. After talking for a while about my plans, she offered to write me a very strong LOR for medical school. She's an administrator at Mayo Clinic who strongly knows what values and traits someone should possess in medicine and how to best exemplify them in a letter, knows the intricacies of interviewing/writing recommendation letters, etc. As a result, I feel like she could write me a very strong, unique LOR that I couldn't get from a professor, especially since her work is interwoven in a very large and well known medical facility.

The only thing is, I was only there for ~3 months as an intern. I'm afraid if I ask her for a LOR in, say, April of next year, it might not go as well for me as it would now. I'm taking the MCAT this month and applying next summer, so is it possible to get it now or would I have to wait?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Barcu

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Get it now. That way, you will be fresh in her mind and the letter will be better.

You can set up an interfolio to store the letter electronically, or do a similar thing through your school's prehealth office if they have that available.

4. vin5cent0

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm not familiar with the LOR process at all. There's no way I can submit it to AMCAS, or wherever it is that you submit it, now?

5. vlk2008

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't think it is possible to submit a LOR for a future application cycle, as you would need to have an open application for them to accept your letter. Like Barcu said, I would highly recommend creating an account with Interfolio. They are a website that allows your letter writers to submit their LORs directly to their site, and then when the application cycle opens next year you can send all of your letters from interfolio directly to AMCAS. Interfolio is widely used by applicants and AMCAS is extremely familiar with them and i have had no problems submitting letters to AMCAS this cycle using them.

I think that is your best bet if you want to have your supervisor write you a letter now!

6. ALMD

Pre-Medical
    You can ask for the LOR now or like me, this is what I did:

I worked closely with a well known surgeon the summer of my freshman in college and he was willing to write me a strong LOR but instead of asking for it right away, I used the opportunity and kept in contact with him very often, a few phone calls, emails, visits, to let him know about me even more, created a mentoring relationship. So when I asked for LOR this summer, he can said that he knows me for a couple years, not just including about works but also said he saw me grow and mature, etc. If you kept in contact, she won't forget how good you were.

To me, I did not want to show that I worked hard just for the LOR, but because I enjoyed it personally and he realized that.

Plus, because I kept in contact, he invited me back for another summer , more experience for me and a publication.

7. donaldpeters

Removed

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I'd say keeping in touch over email or phone is pointless. If you will be meeting in person, get a letter later. If you will be mainly emailing or telephoning, get a letter now. People forget. Especially positive memories. Negative memories remain forever. What do others think?

8. ALMD

Pre-Medical
    Yes of course don't just email or phone calls, put in a few visits in between was what I did. I visited whenever I had a break from school, phone calls during school. It is easy to keep in touch with a mentor.

OP, It also depends on your supervisor's personality, if you think you can keep in contact to let her know you more, then do it. If you don't feel like it will work, ask for LOR now.

9. donaldpeters

Removed

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    What is Interfolio? How does it work? If someone writes a LOR, dates it Aug 2011, signs it, sends it to Interfolio, how will it be used in 2015 when someone applies to medical school? Won't it be like 4 years old already?