how far is U Maryland from Boston?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
how far is U Maryland from Boston... in driving time ? train?

What about NY?

This info could play a role in my decision between BU and Maryland.

Members don't see this ad.

Do a search in maps.yahoo.com or mapquest.
Traffic usually a problem in NY. And I had terrible experience with driving in Boston. Baltimore is cool.

Not sure about the driving time from Boston but from NY its about 4-6 hours Thats prob not much help but I live in Queens and traffic can be a problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for yahoo map look-up suggestion. That had totally slipped my mind.

I found out that:
MD to NY about 3 hours
MD to Boston 6 hours

futureD, r u living in maryland now?
if so, how is the weather there?
Is the coldest month during January?

No. i am in Oakland, CA right now.

Of the schools on the east coast, I am deciding between Maryland and Boston and I was just curious about where I can go from Baltimore MD.

As far as the details go, I like Boston city but I don't think that justifies spending 100K more for BU than Maryland. I am getting the sense that BU's APEX program isn't all that great anyway since I'll probably be watching the dentist as I did when I shadowed. Plus, why pay to watch another dentist when I should be at school learning and doing procedures myself.

Maryland seems better clinically. Plus, they're building a brand new facility there and it is much cheaper than Boston. The downside is Baltimore is not all that great to live. Nothing much to do in the city. I'll probably have to go to Philly or I don't know for fun.

I went to Tufts, but I can tell you that U Maryland is a solid school. I have a couple of friends who graduated from there and their knowledge and skills are excellent. If I had to chose between both(and mind you I am from Boston, but not for long) I would chose U Maryland.

I went to undergrad in baltimore and now i am living in boston.
boston is a great city. i love it!! but it is very expensive to live here.

i did not like baltimore that much but UM dental area is not that bad.a lot of people do not like their first year in baltimore but after you find out more about the city you can have fun. if you are a NY person, i would say not to go. but the downtown is nice. it is cheap to eat out. many nice apartments near UM. you can get a lot more with the same amount of money.
it is about 3.5 hrs to NYC by car if traffic is not too bad. if you take train, 2.5 but the cheapest ticket is about $80 one way. and 5hrs by bus ($60 round trip)
I went to DC more than philly. there is a lot to do in DC but it is kinda far away for me since i am so lazy. but i know many friends who went to DC almost every weekend. during the weekend, train is more expensive (~$15) but during the weekdays, $6 one way. lots of nice places to go. i love georgetown area.

i dont really know a lot about UM and BU but UM seems to be harder to get in.

it is kinda hard for me to figure out what to tell you... hope this helps.
if you have any other questions about two cities, just pm me...

Baltimore's not bad!! I'll admit I thought it was gonna be like NYC when I first went, and THAT was a bad notion to go down there with. But it's not empty! There's a few music venues ranging from intimate to convention center size, there's a bunch of good restaurants especially in little italy, the inner harbor has lots of stuff going on during the year, Powerplant Live has alot of bars and clubs in a block radius. There's a few really cool museums right in the area if you're into that sort of thing. If you have a car you're like 10 minutes away from an outlet mall. Fells Point is around the area and that's alot like philly with all the little shops and whatnot, and they also have even more bars and clubs, spread out a little more. There's an indie theater north a little and a few cool shops up in that area by Mt Vernon. And yeah, only an hour to DC and an hour and a half to philly if that's not enough. Hehe, sorry, I feel I need to stick up for Baltimore. It's an ingrained thing with me cuz I've been sticking up for jersey all my life :p

SpringHaze, thx
do u go to UMB? you probably just finished final, right?
Could you share some of your experience in UMB? like tell us what u like most or dont really like, etc.

I don't go to UMB, but I go to undergrad here in Baltimore. I'm trying to decide about going to UMB myself, and I really think that's where I'm going to end up. But nope, just getting through senior year right now, bleh