How fatal is a “Pass” in surgery for an app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Detective John McClane

Yippee-ki-yay
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title says it all. If it helps, school is H/HP/P/LP/F.

Members don't see this ad.

Not necessarily fatal as long as it is an exception on an otherwise excellent application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not necessarily fatal as long as it is an exception on an otherwise excellent application.

How detrimental? I was expecting to have to find a different field. Not to turn this into a WAMC but ~250 step 1, 3 honors one high pass and obviously one pass. 3 uro publications.

As for low pass, it’s reserved for people with negative comments. Pass is for people who performed adequately with no negative comments who failed to impress anyone.

Look at the google sheet, plenty of applicants who had no honors or didn't honor surgery are getting plenty of invites.
I think my step is about average for urology. Where is this years google doc? I've looked for it but all i can find is 2016-2017 application cycle.

Does anyone know where this year's google doc is? Or does it come out after everyone has heard back? I'd be curious to see some stats to gauge my competitiveness.

People usually post after they match, which is on Thursday.

You can probably expect urology numbers to be similar to ENT. If I had to guess, "average" Step is in the mid-low 240s.