How fatal is it to have a letter with no signature?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ace_inhibitor111

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Assuming secondaries are already sent out and completed. My PI just does not know how to scan a document (he's fairly old fashioned). Only thing I can ask him to do is put the signature in a cursive font or ask him to go to Kinkos (which is going to be difficult). I know some schools specify requirements for their letters on their webpage but others don't. Do ALL schools require a signature even if they don't specify and mark you complete anyway? Will they notify you or put you on hold or automatic reject? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

He runs a lab, but can't scan a document??

I'd say first, maybe ask if someone else in the lab could help out by dealing with the electronic submission, basically have a postdoc or some such scan and send it. Otherwise, electronic/typed signature will probably be ok!

Reactions: 1 users
I've seen these a lot, so it's not lethal.
Assuming secondaries are already sent out and completed. My PI just does not know how to scan a document (he's fairly old fashioned). Only thing I can ask him to do is put the signature in a cursive font or ask him to go to Kinkos (which is going to be difficult). I know some schools specify requirements for their letters on their webpage but others don't. Do ALL schools require a signature even if they don't specify and mark you complete anyway? Will they notify you or put you on hold or automatic reject? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the help. I just realized I could have had him mail it to AMCAS directly. It will be a bit of delay, but I'm hoping things works out in the end

Reactions: 1 user
It's fine. See if someone can help him scan in the document so you don't have to worry about resubmitting the letter if your schools care. However, if there is any issue with your letter, schools will let you know, as you wouldn't have necessarily even known that it wasn't signed.