How feasible is it to do a 1 year international locum tenens job right out of residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tealeafexplorer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there’s a doc on here, I think cabinbuilder, who does locum tenens jobs.

Was wondering if it’s common and feasible to do 1 year locum tenens jobs in different countries right out of residency.

Maybe like Australia or new Zeland, but also maybe some European countries

Members don't see this ad.

It's not an answer to your question, but what is your general student loan situation? For a typical resident graduating with 250-300k in debt even while living frugally, making anything less than 200k gross is too little imho. In general, docs make a fair amount less working outside the USA.

If you have minimal or no debt then money isn't as big of a factor of course.

Personally I haven't heard of anybody working abroad as a locums doc out of residency. I was going to do locums right out of residency and didn't hear about any international jobs but maybe things have changed.

Sure, y not, you don't have much experience, so build one

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean sure you could in theory. Agree with the above. Less money abroad. Also you need licensing in alternative countries. You'd have to look into each country. Also, the units/medication names aren't exactly the same. It will be a little bit of a learning curve. If you want the travel abroad experience - may want to work in the US for say a month then travel abroad for a month...