How feasible is it to start therapy while in med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Latteandaprayer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
TL;DR: Interested in getting therapy but can't until school starts. Is it manageable to balance therapy and M1?

I got into medical school so I figured this would be the better forum to ask it in. I have diagnosed anxiety and depression, but my meds are managing them pretty well. However, while the meds have plugged up the leaky pipe, so to say, I want therapy to drain the basement. My Medicaid only covers two therapists in my area, and both of them just aren't what I want. Once I start med school, the school's insurance will cover other therapists (I've checked). Will it be too much work to balance M1 and therapy?

Members don't see this ad.

Med school isn't this all-consuming life that some people may make it out to be. Plus, you'd be far better equipped to manage med school with therapy than without it. This is your health we are talking about here - make that a priority. Also, therapy is only like at max 2-3 hours a week and typically far less (~45-60m).

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
I would say a good 20-25% of my class was in therapy by the end of M2 so definitely doable!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I did therapy in UG for 1 hour + travel once a week. Some people only need one session every few weeks. There were nights were I was too emotionally drained for intense studying. That doesn't happen for everyone but it's something worth considering while scheduling appointments. The upfront time investment may suck now but it's worth it.

I see a psychiatrist. I’m only on med management, but during preclinical it would have been very easy to incorporate therapy if necessary. Rotations may be a little harder depending on the rotation and the availability of the provider, but you could probably still make it work albeit probably not as regularly.

I think that you should absolutely utilize therapy during medical school! In addition to pre-clinical therapy, our school actually has extended hours for MS3/4s who are doing rotations and want to schedule therapy.

I think that you should absolutely utilize therapy during medical school! In addition to pre-clinical therapy, our school actually has extended hours for MS3/4s who are doing rotations and want to schedule therapy.

True, but you shouldn't go to therapy at school associated practitioners. Could come back to bite you if you say anything that they feel is "relevant" to the school.

True, but you shouldn't go to therapy at school associated practitioners. Could come back to bite you if you say anything that they feel is "relevant" to the school.
Not sure what you're trying to say. Our school has specific individuals (psychologists, psychiatrists, etc.) who are non-faculty and are designated to serve as therapists/whatever position for the medical students so that there is no issue of a potential instructor finding out classified health information or anything like that. I think that there is a lot of stigma associated with getting mental health care during medical school, and I really think that prioritizing one's mental health is crucial to succeeding. That being said, If the OP is worried about someone finding out, they could always just ask the student health center.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you saying they would violate hipaa and rat you out to your school’s admin? 🧐

Im saying there have been incidents where people said things to their school-associated therapist and then that therapist told the school (e.g suicidality). When I heard about it I 100% thought it was a violation and out of line on the part of the therapist, but I guess there is some loophole or something.

I 100% support going to therapy, but I would always go to someone who isn't associated with your school.

Reactions: 1 user
Im saying there have been incidents where people said things to their school-associated therapist and then that therapist told the school (e.g suicidality). When I heard about it I 100% thought it was a violation and out of line on the part of the therapist, but I guess there is some loophole or something.

I 100% support going to therapy, but I would always go to someone who isn't associated with your school.

I mean, if you are a danger to yourself, there very well may be a duty to report.

Reactions: 1 users
Probably safe to say you’re better off finding the time than not (and you should have time). At least in the beginning. Medical school is hard, and getting and keeping yourself in a good place is one of the smartest things you can do, and it could very well help you use your other hours more efficiently. I only went to 1 session at school and then additional with an outside (couples) therapist in 3rd year, but earlier would have been better...

Good luck! It’s a wild ride but I’m personally very excited for the next step! (Into residency...)

Doable and recommendable.

I used to have psychotherapy every other week and would see a psychiatrist once per month. Now as a resident I still do, but at a lesser frequency. Not because of time, rather because of therepeutic progress.

Your mental and physical health is more important than getting a good grade on a test. Do it.

Therapy is only 1-4 hours a week. Its also your health, which should come first. If it makes you feel better, the gains you will have with therapy will make your study time more efficient and beneficial as well. It's 100% worth it for your mental health (and for the benefits academically you will see once you are in a more sound state of mind).

TL;DR: Interested in getting therapy but can't until school starts. Is it manageable to balance therapy and M1?

I got into medical school so I figured this would be the better forum to ask it in. I have diagnosed anxiety and depression, but my meds are managing them pretty well. However, while the meds have plugged up the leaky pipe, so to say, I want therapy to drain the basement. My Medicaid only covers two therapists in my area, and both of them just aren't what I want. Once I start med school, the school's insurance will cover other therapists (I've checked). Will it be too much work to balance M1 and therapy?
Finishing 4 years of therapy right now. Totally was necessary. Please do it.