How frequent are "buzzwords" on USMLE Step 2 Ck?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheGreatestDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How frequent are buzzwords on the CK? Secondly, many of the questions often provide lab values, x-rays, and EKG readings, but I've noticed that I can answer many of these questions without them. Is is usually true on the exam as well or will I have to actually look at the x-ray, ekg, or lab values?

Members don't see this ad.

I seem to recall my exam having tons of buzzwords in one form or another. Sometimes it was a description of the buzzword, but there were often painfully obvious buzzwords in the questions. I had "ping-pong ball skull" and "looks like his cheeks had been slapped" on mine for sure. I think i had some pretty obvious lupus questions, too.

I seem to recall my exam having tons of buzzwords in one form or another. Sometimes it was a description of the buzzword, but there were often painfully obvious buzzwords in the questions. I had "ping-pong ball skull" and "looks like his cheeks had been slapped" on mine for sure. I think i had some pretty obvious lupus questions, too.

Thanxs. How about the x-rays and lab values? I've done many questions where they seem to be there more for display than anything else. I can usually answer the question without looking at them. I occasionally do need to look at the lab values but practically never the x-rays and ekgs. Is it the same on the ck or will I have to become good at these as well?

I'd say you almost always need to look at the lab values. The radiographs range from diagnostic to helpful info, but you'll likely need to look at those, too. Actually, you'll be a lot better off looking at the pictures first then reading the questions. I had several that I didn't need to spend time reading for thanks to the ekg/scan being so obvious.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say you almost always need to look at the lab values. The radiographs range from diagnostic to helpful info, but you'll likely need to look at those, too. Actually, you'll be a lot better off looking at the pictures first then reading the questions. I had several that I didn't need to spend time reading for thanks to the ekg/scan being so obvious.

Agree, especially if you have a ginormous paragraph to go along with an image. Look at the image, read the question itself, then decide if you need to read, or just skim, the paragraph.

My test was loaded with buzzwords or their surrogates--a ton of it comes down to simple pattern recognition.

How frequent are buzzwords on the CK? Secondly, many of the questions often provide lab values, x-rays, and EKG readings, but I've noticed that I can answer many of these questions without them. Is is usually true on the exam as well or will I have to actually look at the x-ray, ekg, or lab values?

To answer your question indirectly, there are no curveballs on Step 2. Everything is classic presentation. If something isn't in the paragraph, you should assume its negative, and assume that it means they DONT want you to think about that particular diagnosis. If they take the time to actually SAY that it's not there (since the space they have to ask the question is narrow) then that is a HUGE hinge point. If they say something is positive it is likely pertinent.

In medicine, and in particular on Step 2, I think there are less of "Buzzwords" and are more "Buzz Phrases" referred to as illness scripts. Usually it isn't one word that seals it, its more a constellation that makes it obvious what they are looking for. Though, every once and a while you read "old man with bad breath" then look at the answer choices and choose "zenker's."

Everything is the classic presentation on step 2, there are no curveballs but still few freebie buzzwords.

Utterly and completely 100% agree with the post above me. I couldn't even tell you if there were buzzwords because I straight up was not looking for them. The questions are all "you know this" or you "dont". You do not need to study buzzwords to do well on this test, just do a ton of practice questions and read the explanations. This is not step 1. There is a very good reason why the average score is much higher. At this point in your medical education, your ability to just understand the question should be adequate.