How Funny Is This or is it just Sad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpiritiualDuck

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I was on the bus today heading down town. The bus driver has seen me a lot. She asked me what I do. I told her and I said I was applying to medical school. She said great. I named the school, an Osteopathic school. She said, "Oh, you're not going to be a real doctor." I smiled and explained. She said that she's heard that DO's don't learn as much and that they are dangerous. She then said I'd be lucky to get a job. She claimed that many graduates of this school had to get jobs working at the local grocery store. I'd be a good meat cutter.

I just stared at her. The damn bus driver was knocking me and I just thought, "What the heck is this?"

Members don't see this ad.

Tell her she's not a real bus driver unless she drives a double decker...like in london...now THEY are real bus drivers. ;)

HAHAHAHAHA....

That's a pretty funny story (at least it's funny when's it's happening to someone else). Seriously though, that had to be super frustrating. I've encountered similar situations before and I commend you for educating the bus driver instead of yelling. Maybe fate will have you coding her in an ER someday. When you save her life she might be a little bit more open towards osteopathy. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
It's funny you posted this today. I was taking a break during my biochem class today and started talking to a student who is apply to dental school.
She asked what I was doing and I said applying to med school. She asked which ones.
I told her and then told her I was hoping to get into VCOM as my first choice.
She said she didn't know Blacksburg had a med school.
I told her it was the new Osteopathic school.
She said "Oh is that homopathy? then you aren't going to be a real doctor?"

GGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRR:mad: :mad: :mad:

Do these people live on Mars or what?

I definitely understand where you're coming from. I had a patient's family member ask what I do. I told him I'm a physical therapist and I was seeing his uncle to treat him for his stroke. Well this guy starts asking me if PT is like massage therapy. Nothing against massage but I spent 5 1/2 years to get a master's degree, not 6 months on an MT license. Then he asked if I was like a chiropractor. Lost cause so I gave up.

My doc is a DO and we recently received a small card that explains what a DO is. If I get in I'm considering grabbing a bunch of these cards and when people ask just passing them out.

PTjay

These cards are great to have on hand for situations like those. The AOA is currently running a huge campaign to educate the public on osteopathy, but we are the best advertisements....

http://www.aoa.net/

I wasn't able to find out how to get the cards but if anyone is, it would be good information to post.

Keep on being positive and mature and professional in the face of ignorance and you will represent the profession well....

In choosing osteopathy most of us knew that we'd have to explain ourselves. Upon speaking with one of the DO's I work with -- he said not to go DO because you'll be explaining your degree for the rest of your career. I've been questioned on my osteopathic choice, since I didn't even apply MD, and yes it does become tedious to explain yourself constantly - but just think of it as expanding someone elses mind - as yours was expanded when you first learned of osteopathy.

Originally posted by Amy B
It's funny you posted this today. I was taking a break during my biochem class today and started talking to a student who is apply to dental school.

Ask her if she will be a DMD or a DDS>

Then ask her if she knows the difference.

If not, then tell her when she can understand the 2 different degrees given to dentists, then YOU will gladly enlighten her on osteopathy.

I think this is just part of the path to becoming a DO

I used to be all defensive (or aggressive) about educating people about DO - the philosophies, differences between US and foreign DOs, the stereotypes, etc.

But then I realized it just got more people confused.

Anyway, this is how I personally would have handled the situation

Bus driver: Oh - osteopaths are not real doctors. They don't learn as much, are dangerous, and can't find job.

Me: Are you sure you're talking about osteopathic physicians?

Bus driver: Yes (well, (s)he could say no but then it would be a moot point afterwards)

Me: Well, that's simply not true at all. In fact, osteopathic physicians learn more materials than MDs while in medical school. DOs have to take the same medical board licensing exams (or the equivalent) that MD students have, and must do the same residencies to be board certified. In fact, you have DOs working alongside MDs in almost every hospitals.

At this point, the bus driver will be "oh really, I didn't know that", or reaffirm that what you just said was not correct. If the bus driver maintains his/her position, just go "I dunno - are you sure we're talking about the same profession?"

The bus driver was not "knocking" you. He/She was just repeating what he/she has heard. This is a great opportunity to educate him/her. And in doing so, if this bus driver is gregarious and garrulous, will educate other people about osteopathic medicine.

You will be confronted with this situation a lot. You will be asked "What's a DO?" a lot. Be prepare to give a short (1-2 minute) reply.

Here's my advice (based on my short experience) on how to avoid confusing the person (otherwise, they'll start to think DO = chiropractor)

1. Start off by saying that DOs are doctors, just like MDs - and can do everything that MDs can do.

2. Mention that DOs like to view the whole patient when treating. Avoid words like "holistics" since those words will be registered in the person's mind as "alternative health care" or "homeopathy". Just mention "whole patient" and maybe give one or two examples.

3. Mention manual medicine but don't emphasize OMT (or OMM) too much. Emphasizing this will result in the person thinking DO = chiropractor. Mention that DOs also learn manual medicine to help patients cope with pain. There is no need to go into details about the philosophy behind OMM (and talk about somatic dysfunction or osteopathic lesions) unless they are interested in APPLYING to DO schools.

4. End by saying that DOs are licensed by the state medical board (no need to go into extreme details and talk about states w/ medical board and osteopathic medical boards - mention this only if they are interested in going into medicine). Mention that DOs have to take the same medical licensing exams (not exactly true but again, no need for finite details), and have to do residencies and fellowships to be board certified.

Don't make your reply sound like an essay. It should be around 1-3 minutes long. Emphasize the similarities but mention the differences. Hopefully the person will understand what DOs are (and not confuse it with homeopathy or chiropractics).

Wow - long reply (guess I didn't follow my 1-3 minutes rule)

OK, anatomy exam (head/neck) coming up - chao

Let's keep in mind the source of the comment from the O/P. It was from a bus driver. Not that I want to make assumptions here, but it is likely that this individual has a somewhat lower educational level than most. Clearly if she thinks that DOs are graduating only to scramble for jobs in the local supermarket, she is in the minority.

Most people know and appreciate the fact that DOs are trained and licensed physicians and are not "dangerous." They may not understand exactly what the differences are from an MD, but they are not as ignorant as your bus driver.

I was blown away...the AMA website (front page, no less) has a link to Dr. Mills' article on OMT in chronic otitis media and the student AMA site has an article on National Osteopathic Medicine week...it was nice to see that on a site other than the AOA

When you meet these type of people tell them to ask their favorite M.D. if D.O. is a real doctor. The anwser will always be yes.

I've had times when people (mostly family members, but some non-family members) wondered what a DO was, and then I have told them "Remember Dr. So and So who treated you for ___? Well, he/she was a DO." Which always gets the reply "Oh....Really???" It's funny that so many people don't know which type of doctor their doctor is. All they see is "Dr. John Doe" on the white coat and don't even question the degree. It's interesting to see the looks on their faces when they realize they have seen a DO before after asking the "What is a DO?" questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
SpiritualDuck, this is what you should do:

1) Finish med school
2) Finish residency
3) Pay off school loans
4) Buy the most obnoxious, flashiest trophy car you can find
5) Drive the same route the bus uses. When you bump into your friend the bus driver cut her off and make her slam on the brakes.
6) When she sees you, flash her a thumbs up sign while holding the biggest, most expensive chunk of prime-cut tenderloin you can find (while grinning ear to ear).
7) Drive into the sunset

OK...maybe not.

Don't get too upset just because other people are ignorant about your future profession. I'm a mechanical engineer and my own parents don't understand what I do for a living (do you know what homologation is?). No big deal.

By the way, I don't care if people don't know osteopathic medicine as well as allopathic. I'm still proud I'll become a D.O. in 2008! (yes, my days as an engineer are numbered!!!!!!!!!!!!).

"I didn't spend six years in evil medical school to be called 'Mister', thank you very much." - Dr. Evil

I wonder whether Dr.Evil is a D.O or an M.D.

Originally posted by Goofyone
"I didn't spend six years in evil medical school to be called 'Mister', thank you very much." - Dr. Evil

Oh, that's too funny.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by Goofyone

i think he's an IMG... so MD?

Originally posted by t733nu5
i think he's an IMG... so MD?

Yeah, he must be an IMG, because he is from Belgium... ;)

You know when I was a junior in college, and my advisor told me I probably couldn't get into an MD school, and told me to try DO schools, I said to him "What is that? Is that like accupuncture or something? Is it a real doctor?" I didnt' really know much about it myself, and I was a pre-med.

Q, DO

Q, that's pretty funny.

The way I found out about DO's was by looking at my wife's ob-gyn business card. My first thought was "why is a Doctor of Optometry taking care of my pregnant wife?!?!". Luckily, the doctor had some cool brochures that explained everything. He turned out to be the best doc we know, so that pretty much destroyed all the doubts about osteopathic medicine for me.

Originally posted by QuinnNSU
You know when I was a junior in college, and my advisor told me I probably couldn't get into an MD school, and told me to try DO schools, I said to him "What is that? Is that like accupuncture or something? Is it a real doctor?" I didnt' really know much about it myself, and I was a pre-med.

Q, DO

Get this: my premed office considers DO's to be grouped with the "Allied health professions". Yep, that's right -- they group DO's along with DPM's, OD's, and Dentists.

I don't really get why people say, "I can't get into MD, so I'll go DO". In reality, if you can get into a DO school you could probably get into an MD school, given the average for MD is 3.5 and DO is only 3.4.

But the bus driver was probably confusing DO with Chiropractor. Most people don't know what a DO is.

Just say pediatrician, surgeon, anesthesiologist, or radiologist and they will get the picture.

did anyone ever find out if those "what is an osteopathic physician" (not 'osteopath') actually exist?

I would really love to get some for my family and friends at home and abroad.

Yeah, here's another one...my lab partner for physical chemistry and now inorganic chemistry, really smart guy, was talking to me about medical school. When I said my first choice was MSUCOM and said osteopathic he actually said the following....."do they have to take anatomy and stuff?" I couldn't believe it. I mean, he is what I presumed to be an educated young man....however, then I go to get my hair cut and the hair dresser is talking about how her and her friends prefer D.O.'s.....I don't know......I just think the word is getting out there on the whole, but there are still some rough patches.

Originally posted by JKDMed
Get this: my premed office considers DO's to be grouped with the "Allied health professions". Yep, that's right -- they group DO's along with DPM's, OD's, and Dentists.

I don't really get why people say, "I can't get into MD, so I'll go DO". In reality, if you can get into a DO school you could probably get into an MD school, given the average for MD is 3.5 and DO is only 3.4.

They shouldn't be so presumptuous to think that they'll get into DO school with a 3.9 etc. Lot's of people get shown the door or the waitlist after interviews because they don't know much about osteopathic medicine, but went ahead and applied anyways thinking it was sure thing. That seems to be a big misconception amongst premeds that grades=acceptance to both DO and MD schools.

That's a damn shame about your premed office JKD. You should go in their and set them strait.

I would say that anyone who encounters such a glaring lie about osteopathic medicine as is being propogated by JKDMed's advisors actually has an OBLIGATION to the profession to set them straight. Propogation of ignorance like that affects all of us directly.

I suppose I should, but I never go to the office. I have been there maybe twice in three years, and once was to pickup evaluation forms.

I doubt it would get very far, since my university has its own MD school. I need to go seem them before the semester is out to get an address for my DO to mail a LOR, so I'll bring it up while I"m there.