How good are these ECs for medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seek_advice1

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
The next year I will apply to medical school and I want to know if I need to improve my ECs.

My GPA is 3.5 and my first MCAT is 503. I will retake it in the next months though.

As for my ECs I have 1 year of research assistant full time work experience in a laboratory in a hospital (my current job) with one publication just published and hopefully others coming. In my job I also have to call the patients by phone and ask if they are feeling better and register some information about that or their symptoms. Sometimes, I also go with my boss around the hospital for the same reasons. I do not have any clinical volunteering experience but when I was in college I was part of a club that aimed at giving food to homeless people. I also volunteered at a few runs and similar events. I do not have any shadow experience.

Is this good enough for MD school? What should I improve to be competitive for mid-top tier schools?

Members don't see this ad.

You’re likely lacking in the clinical area.

As for non-clinical volunteering, what exactly did you do?

Research is muy bueno!

The next year I will apply to medical school and I want to know if I need to improve my ECs.

My GPA is 3.5 and my first MCAT is 503. I will retake it in the next months though.

As for my ECs I have 1 year of research assistant full time work experience in a laboratory in a hospital (my current job) with one publication just published and hopefully others coming. In my job I also have to call the patients by phone and ask if they are feeling better and register some information about that or their symptoms. Sometimes, I also go with my boss around the hospital for the same reasons. I do not have any clinical volunteering experience but when I was in college I was part of a club that aimed at giving food to homeless people. I also volunteered at a few runs and similar events. I do not have any shadow experience.

Is this good enough for MD school? What should I improve to be competitive for mid-top tier schools?

You aren't going to be competitive at mid-top tier schools with that GPA/MCAT combo. You're better off looking at lower tier schools. For ANY school you should certainly accumulate some shadowing (at least 20 hours) and some clinical work/volunteering.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You aren't going to be competitive at mid-top tier schools with that GPA/MCAT combo. You're better off looking at lower tier schools. For ANY school you should certainly accumulate some shadowing (at least 20 hours) and some clinical work/volunteering.
I know and that is why I am going to retake the MCAT. My goal is to get 510+. Doesn't my job count as clinical work?

How many hours did you help feed the homeless? Probably you should consider resuming that activity or something similar.

You can list the patient interaction experience as either Research or Employment-Medical/Clinical, not both for AMCAS schools (but you can hope that adcomms notice it covers both). For TMDSAS schools you can list it twice.

Average shadowing listed is 40 hours.

What is your BCPM GPA? Are you doing anything to raise your cGPA over the next year? Do you already have a steep upward grade trend?

I would highly suggest more patient experience and volunteering. You can call around to local hospitals to find their opportunities.!

I know and that is why I am going to retake the MCAT. My goal is to get 510+. Doesn't my job count as clinical work?
Nope, to my eyes your job counts as research. You did not participate in the delivery of care.