Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

How good are winter interviews?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Overlap12, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Overlap12

Overlap12 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Ok guys, I just received an interview for the University of Chicago on January.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. -Goose-

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    even if you are interviewing for a spot on the waitlist (which i think is probably unlikely), there is a ton of movement on them up until the day classes start (even after)... so go for it and see what happens...

g/l

4. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Contrary to SDN myth, most schools continue to interview and accept people throughout the winter. Schools always give out more acceptances than there are spots, and sometimes seem to actually be more stingy with acceptances and make greater use of the waitlist at the very beginning of the admissions process, until they get a better sense of what the applicant pool looks like. Nonetheless, there will be posters who indicate as early as now that XYZ school has "filled up its seats". Don't buy it -- you're still good.
    But even if you do end up on the waitlist, that doesn't mean you won't get in. Schools use the waitlist to varying degrees, depending on what percentage of their acceptees actually matriculate. Some schools historically have taken a huge percentage of their class off the waitlist, which others only a handful of folks (Not sure where Chicago falls in this). There will be people still coming off the waitlist at some schools as late as orientation week in August.

5. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Some schools send out two or three times more offer letters than they have seats. Although plenty of people would give their right arm for an offer from U Chicago, plenty of people who are offered admission there will also hold an offer from UIC, Northwestern, Hopkins, Harvard, WashU, Yale, etc and that being the case, only one school will be the winner in the contest to get that applicant to matriculate. So, although it seems that they must have filled up by now, it is not the case and up until the end, most people are interviewing for a seat, not a spot on the waitlist.

6. frycek

frycek Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm an MS 1 at U Chicago - I interviewed in mid-January and was offered an accpetance several weeks. later. A couple other people from my interview day are in my class as well. So acceptances definitely come in the winter. Good luck!

7. Overlap12

Overlap12 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Non-Student

Thanks a lot guys. I feel a lot better about spending a few hundred on the plane ticket. :)

In case you're curious:
    http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=04609

8. Saluki

Saluki 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Your gpa isn't great, but obviously they liked you if they invited you for an interview. Your URM status and interesting ECs should give you a really good shot now that you've gotten past the initial numbers screening. Good luck!!!!!