How good is Kaplan Review Book for Part 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pdentist2007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For part1 NBDE preparation does the Kaplan Review book help to awnser more questions on the exam aside from studying the decks and question papers .Or is better to read other review books.If so which ones are good ones.Also is the USMLE First Aid better or NBDE First Aid better.

Members don't see this ad.

yeh guys i m wondering too.......but i guess we have to complete our NBDE 1 book first n thn proceed to review....

For part I, the Kaplan review book helped me a lot, but for part II it doesn't help that much. I did the old exams and read the entire kaplan book. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I study from decks and texts, but It takes long time. How do u guys study? how long do u planing to study for part one? I don't have kaplan's review book..do u think it is more helpful than texts..I am really confused...:(

I study from decks and texts, but It takes long time. How do u guys study? how long do u planing to study for part one? I don't have kaplan's review book..do u think it is more helpful than texts..I am really confused...:(

Hey arkom,
Kaplan review book is really very helpful for NBDE 1.If you are comfortable with your text books than its also good, but I would say kaplan is best.All the topics are explained in a very good manner that you dont have to go with the text book.It is as good as text book.Moreover you will require less time with kaplan.I studied from kaplan and I studied all these subject long back but with Kaplan I was fine.I think for NBDE 1 3 months are enough with Kaplan,dental decks and Qs papers U will surely get good score.
So dont worry so much just start reading with the material you feel you are comfortable.You will be fine once you finish reading everything.

good luck
ddsaspirant

hi ddsasparint,
i am very confused as i have started studing after 3 yrs.don't know from where to start.u said 3 months r enough for nbde 1 prep.how many hours a day u use to study.is there any study pattern u can suggest for someone who has started with subjects studied 5 yrs back as i graduated in 2004.hope u'll advice me something.thx.....shall be waiting for ur reply.am all confused n lost.

Hi
Can U Please Tel Me How Can I Get The Unrealased Qaustions For Part 1?is It Ganna Help Is It A Lot Of Old Quations Epeated From There?what A Bout Release Quastiona?where Can I Get Them?what Is The Diffrent Between Them?
Thanks

hi
even im in the same boat..ive to start everything anew as well..if u have unearthed something..please let me know as wel
thanks

I took my part I 4 years ago, so hopefully my advice will still hold true.

In general, studying the decks is plenty enough to guarantee a 90 on the test, granted you know everything in the back of those cards. Some of my classmates studied 1 month, but I studied for 3 months (putting in about 3-4 hours a night initially and finishing off with 8hr a night). Also, make sure you do practice questions from the old tests - they serve as indicators to see whether of not you have retained any info. I tried looking through kaplan's book, but I noticed that there were a lot of errors in there. I used other review books just as references.

I kicked ass on the test with basically old tests and dental decks. Good luck to you guys.

I took my part I 4 years ago, so hopefully my advice will still hold true.

In general, studying the decks is plenty enough to guarantee a 90 on the test, granted you know everything in the back of those cards. Some of my classmates studied 1 month, but I studied for 3 months (putting in about 3-4 hours a night initially and finishing off with 8hr a night). Also, make sure you do practice questions from the old tests - they serve as indicators to see whether of not you have retained any info. I tried looking through kaplan's book, but I noticed that there were a lot of errors in there. I used other review books just as references.

I kicked ass on the test with basically old tests and dental decks. Good luck to you guys.

So you think dental decks for passing in 11 days is good enough?

hi i too am just starting with my preparation.i was wondering if the kaplan books are separate from the kaplan review book.
pls do let me know
thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
hi i too am just starting with my preparation.i was wondering if the kaplan books are separate from the kaplan review book.
pls do let me know
thanks

I was wondering too. I had posted same question as got reply that review book, review notes, lecture notes r d same.

Guys,
What is Kaplan review book again, is it the Dentessentials.

Is there any difference between old and new version of the dental decks? like 2004 VS 2007
Thanks,

Guys,
What is Kaplan review book again, is it the Dentessentials.

Is there any difference between old and new version of the dental decks? like 2004 VS 2007
Thanks,

I have the samw question. If you go on Kaplan's website, it seems like there're 2 kinds of books under 2 different programs with different prices, a Dentessentials & Lecture notes. I went to my local offce, and the people there couldn't tell me if they're exactly the same or not. Does any one know? Thanks.

From what I heard, the only difference in 2007's decks are the clinical cards, which you can download from ADA's website:)

does anyone know the difference between the kaplan lecture notes and the dentessentials?

does anyone know the difference between the kaplan lecture notes and the dentessentials?

The Kaplan Lecture Notes (aka Review Book) is 800+ pages and is extremely comprehensive in covering Part I material. DentEssentials is slightly more condensed (a little over 400 pages) and is primarily charts, diagrams, etc. I found both to be extremely helpful for my exam. I am also looking to sell both books, so PM me if interested.

pls do let me know
thanks

hi. me too just starting my preparation. can i join u ?

hi guys... wanted sumone to tell me wot is exactly the name of the kaplan review book???
i have to ask my uncle to get it for me from vancouver...
is it dentEssentials????? 2nd edition by michael and leslie manley????

hi guys... wanted sumone to tell me wot is exactly the name of the kaplan review book???
i have to ask my uncle to get it for me from vancouver...
is it dentEssentials????? 2nd edition by michael and leslie manley????

the name is just kaplan review book for part 1

The Kaplan Lecture Notes (aka Review Book) is 800+ pages and is extremely comprehensive in covering Part I material. DentEssentials is slightly more condensed (a little over 400 pages) and is primarily charts, diagrams, etc. I found both to be extremely helpful for my exam. I am also looking to sell both books, so PM me if interested.
can you please tell me how much you want for the kaplan books and dentessential and also tell me do you have decks [email protected]

I've only read the Biochem section in the Kaplan Review Book, and it's really weak.

They try to explain how prot, lipids, and carbs metabolism are all tied together at acetyl CoA, and that's about it.

If you have the time, Lippincott's Ill Rev is the best. It ties in Phys and Path with the biochem so you see the whole picture.

If you have no time then, Kaplan Review Book will have to suffice.

:confused:hi im international dentist im going to take ndb part I i would like to know opinions about study materials wHAT ABOUT crack dental board part I IS IT GOOD OR SHOULD I STICK WITH KAPLAN MATRERIAL PLEASE I NEED ADVISE THANKS :confused::confused::confused::confused:

hi ddsasparint,
i am very confused as i have started studing after 3 yrs.don't know from where to start.u said 3 months r enough for nbde 1 prep.how many hours a day u use to study.is there any study pattern u can suggest for someone who has started with subjects studied 5 yrs back as i graduated in 2004.hope u'll advice me something.thx.....shall be waiting for ur reply.am all confused n lost.
Hi,
Don't worry,I graduated in 1993 and is still planning to appear for NBDE part 1.So u now know u r in a better position.Start studying seriously,and once u get into the flow,u will know how long u will have to prepare.The time needed for each individual differs.For me 3 mths is not enough,but it might be enough for u.So just get going.BEST OF LUCK>:thumbup:
jrose

Kaplans was good for me to help recall some old things such as biochem.. if you have enough time look through kaplans don't worry about memorizing it throughly, just refresh yourself. However i would highly recommend throughly knowing the decks and released exams.... most importantly know why your answer is right and the others are wrong.... this will help you narrow down questionable answers when you take take the boards

this is my personal opinion on the Kaplan review and even the decks, they have all the material needed, but if your going to be doing part I and your science training in your original country was very deficient as was mine, you will find that reading Kaplan or decks is more about memorizing things than knowing them, it condenses all the info to where if you already knew it and had forgotten it, it reminds you, but for example bio and micro when i read it, i was like #$@$@ ????

so i would say that it depends on your original training was like will determine your study style, you might want to use online resources to study the materials with images so you get a proper visual image in your head and that way you understand it, ultimately if you read and can't visualize it, do you really know how the body works?

once you have studied the materials and have visuals in your head, then use Kaplan or decks and exams to study faster.

here is a link to some of the resources online that i have used, once i find a new website i add it.
it is a word document that i always have open to use as i find new sites and add them!

and good luck!!!!
haven't decided between may and June yet, will decide by the middle of the month

Attachments

• weblinks of interest.doc
    51.5 KB · Views: 475
hey .. cld u let me knw tht out of both of them which one wld u really prefer or recommend..i am utterly confused abt the fact tht..both are good and cant make up my mind..is it tht dentessentials is gonne be less deatiled tht cld land me trouble

I personally believe that books, such as, the kaplan book and maps....

ok let me start over:

The Kaplan book is horrible. Really hard to read and it goes too much into detail about irrelevant things. The old kaplan book (2003, I believe) was bigger than the new revision and even worse. They made a couple of good changes on that book, but I think you are better off with the latest Dental Decks, and do all ASDA exams at least once. Getting familiar with questions is the key; ask any dentist. :)

Do both kaplan lecture notes AND dentessentials. you can use dentessentials just for revision and not for actual prep. it is very good

hey .. cld u let me knw tht out of both of them which one wld u really prefer or recommend..i am utterly confused abt the fact tht..both are good and cant make up my mind..is it tht dentessentials is gonne be less deatiled tht cld land me trouble

how do you buy the kaplan review book? It's not listed on kaplan bookstore, so would i have to buy the course to get that book?

dentessentials i can buy from amazon

how do you buy the kaplan review book? It's not listed on kaplan bookstore, so would i have to buy the course to get that book?

dentessentials i can buy from amazon

You cant buy the book itself, unless its used....but according to kaplan agreements, you cant sell the book...You get the book when you sign up for kaplan, but must people sell it after they pass their boards.

When you sign up for kaplan you have to sign this paper that says "I promise I wont sell this book" in lawyer lingo.

is dentessentials (one you can get without the course) good enough to study from, or is it neccessary to get the review notes from kaplan?

Also it seems like trend that people use USMLE step 1 books like first aid to prepare for NBDE part 1. Is this the future trend? Does usmle books really prepare for dental part 1 well? obviiously we have to use some nbde prep for dental anatomy but that can be solved with dental decks.

is dentessentials (one you can get without the course) good enough to study from, or is it neccessary to get the review notes from kaplan?

Also it seems like trend that people use USMLE step 1 books like first aid to prepare for NBDE part 1. Is this the future trend? Does usmle books really prepare for dental part 1 well? obviiously we have to use some nbde prep for dental anatomy but that can be solved with dental decks.

Korndoctor, Kaplan dentessentials is not a very good book to refer from..atleast thats what I think...You can just keep it as an adjunct if you like the book very much ;) .. You should read from the Kaplan Review Notes... They are like a combined textbook which you should refer too. Of course you can go back to your basic textbooks if you do not understand some part of it from the review book.... Also few say that they read from USMLE counterpart of books like first aid, kaplan etc.. I haven't given the exam yet..and so i can not add as to which one is the best..But would say..have a look at both and decide for yourself !!

ya i had to refer to USMLE sometimes because NBDE kaplan did not cover everything that is asked on the exam.