scgroat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Wake is a very good medical school. Its reputation is excellent in NC and beyond. They are very respected within the medical field and among other medical schools. If I were to take a gander, I would suspect that their US News ranking doesn't reflect this due to its size and raw research dollars. Ask anyone in the field, though, and you'll good reports. There, after Wake gave me no love, I turned the other cheek. :eek:

About the Ads

tinypun2

10+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2007
Status (Visible)
I don't know about its a great school. I would say its good just like most med schools not in the top 20 and not in the bottom 20. North Carolina does have 2 other schools though which are great.....

scgroat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I'd argue that in NC Wake carries just as much weight as UNC. If UNC is in the great range, than Wake is either right there or not far behind. I know plenty of people who turned down UNC for wake.

scgroat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Well, then you were obviously sheltered at VCU.

scgroat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey, I guess you're right. I have not heard of Wake Forset either. Too much stress. Sorry.

winthug

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Wake forest is a very good school, but a very boring school. There's seriously nothing to do but watch their ftball/bball team. There's NOWHERE to go outside, from my int. experience and from a friend.

Falco2525

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Wake is a very solid school...i did not like it personally for me...but the people there really seemed to like it

medpro

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2005
Status (Visible)

BigKurz

10+ Year Member
May 22, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Of all the schools I visited, Wake was the one that most had me feeling like "Damn, I would love to be a part of this."

That being said, I'm not going there--waitlisted, and accepted to my in-state public--but it struck me as a great place to be. Those rankings shouldn't be ignored either--you have to remember that Wake is still dealing with getting out of the Duke/UNC shadow.

CTtarheel

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Wake has a very good reputation and some interesting curricular features. They're definitely one of the most "wired" med schools that I visited esp. with their anatomy program.

However, the quality of life at WFU seemed really dismal. The students I talked to seemed to talk about how everyone was married and lots of pepole had kids so there wasn't much of a social atmosphere. Seemed like everyone came to class together and did their own thing outside of it. Winston Salem is also a DISMAL place, there really is NOTHING there. Students either went towards raleigh/chapel hill or charlotte for fun (both over 1 hr drives!). If you're a NC resident I don't understand how you could EVER justify turning down UNC to pay WAY more money to go to Wake. Even from out of state this would have been a no brainer for me (if I had gotten in to wake). In fact, after my UNC acceptance the first thing I did was withdraw from Wake's waiting list, and I couldn't have been happier to do so.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.