How happy were you when you got your first med school acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nu2004

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was pretty thrilled. I wrote my parents and my ex-girlfriend an email (sounds weird, I know, but she pretty much convinced me that I could still do medicine if I worked my butt off).

However, I didn't quite have the level of ecstasy that I sense from some MDApps profiles... I guess because it wasn't my top choice school at the time.

Anyone else experience this sort of muted happiness?

Members don't see this ad.

My mom called me and told me she received it in the mail. I was happy that I had a spot, but I guess the level of happiness depends on how much you expected to get in. For me, it was my state school, so I expected as much.

I even had to fake excitement when I got called by the admissions committee of another school. But, when I got an acceptance by a "top" school, I was pretty stoked and celebrated at a pub with some friends. Personally, only the last one made the sacrifices that I've made really feel worth it, although now I'm leaning towards my state school (go figure...).

Summary: Depends on the circumstances

Members don't see this ad :)
I felt very blessed and happy. It felt like I'd finally accomplished something after 16 years of education.

i tinkled all over myself. then i ran around my apartment building screaming "i'm going to be a doctor" with a huge urine stain on my crouch for 30 minutes until i passed out in front of one of my neighbor's doors. she found me 3 hours later, still wet, clutching my acceptance letter, sucking my thumb, and sleeping like a baby.

That sounds about right. I'll probably do the same if I get an acceptance. I like to think I'll go out and party like crazy with my friends, but I'll probably just chug a bottle of champagne and cry myself to sleep.

I've had several DO acceptances and they felt good since I knew I was going to be a doctor, but kind of muted since I didn't really fall in love with any of the schools and the fact they were all very expensive and private didn't help. I just got my first MD acceptance yesterday (to a school I am really psyched about!) and I hollered until my poor dogs started shaking because they thought something was wrong with me. I also called every single family member I could think of. Then my husband and I went out and drank margaritas.

when i got my first acceptance, i was happy and relieved because i knew i was going to med school. however, this was a bittersweet experience because the school that i first got into did not have a graduate program for my husband.

when i got into my top choice (which was also in a great location for my husband), i was totally freaking out. it was awesome. :smuggrin:

My first acceptance was not my first choice - it's a few hours away from where my husband goes. So I was happy, but I really didn't celebrate. I just felt worried that I might "have" to go there.

But when I got my top-choice (where my husband is) acceptance, I freaked out! I laughed, I cried, I took a shot of Patron (seriously.). It was great!!! Also, I stopped worrying about the biochem test I had just bombed - it's a good feeling to just be happy with a B or maybe even C for once! :D

I've had several DO acceptances and they felt good since I knew I was going to be a doctor, but kind of muted since I didn't really fall in love with any of the schools and the fact they were all very expensive and private didn't help. I just got my first MD acceptance yesterday (to a school I am really psyched about!) and I hollered until my poor dogs started shaking because they thought something was wrong with me. I also called every single family member I could think of. Then my husband and I went out and drank margaritas.

haha. THAT'S the kind of excitation i'm talking about

bioteach,

i just saw your post in the acceptance thread. that's so exciting. congrats!

Thanks, Jolie. I finally get to join you as a non-trad with an allo acceptance. I am seriously psyched!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is going to sound a bit weird...

Okay but honestly, it was like having finally taken that huge dump you have been building up for months.

Pure relief

I felt relieved. Which feels pretty good.

hope i'll find out some day

didn't believe it at first, cried, drank a bottle of fine champaign with my parents, then preceded to party til 5am (it was my 1st choice). it was a good time

Since I didn't get my first choice school, I felt like I really, really, really wanted a puppy for Christmas, but got a hamster. Still warm and fuzzy, but not quite the same as the puppy.:(

The hamster and I are moving in a few weeks.;)

Glad I wasn't a failure, wasn't too off-the-wall because it wasn't my first choice.

Now my second acceptance... was a day to remember. :)

I **** bricks.

Last edited:
I was happy enough to go out and have a beer and not think about homework at all... but none of that screaming and running stuff because the first school that accepted me wasn't my first choice and I sorta thought I would get in there. I was, however, pretty ecstatic when I got into SLU.

Unfortunately, I don't yet know the feeling. But if that wonderful day comes, I think it'll feel like I beat the adcoms at a very long and hopeless game of chess.

My first line will probably go something like "I can't believe it worked"!!!

I was sitting in a prep room waiting for an interviewer to pick me up for my interview when i received an email (on my smartphone) of an acceptance from a school I interviewed at 2 weeks earlier.

Weird feeling. I probably smiled the entire interview knowing I finally had *some* options.

I guess I was kind of expecting it (my state school), so I wasn't thrilled, but I was relieved. I was excited to be a doctor, but it was somewhat muted because I was so into some other schools at the time.

I called my mom and best friend, and I sent a few texts to some people who cared. Then I went to bed.

My first acceptance was for Pitt, and I was pretty happy :) On one hand I was kind of "expecting" to get in because my numbers were about on par with theirs, but it was also a top 15 school (and I"m not PA resident) so I wasn't sure.

After going to second look, I'm more psyched than ever to go!

My fiance took me out to dinner that night to celebrate :)

I can't even imagine having the luxury of not going completely apesh*t upon receiving an acceptance. Statements like "I even had to fake excitement when I got called by the admissions committee of another school" just make my mind explode. Must be nice!

I got the call at work, so after jumping up and down for a couple of minutes, I rushed back inside to finish a plasmid prep. I was on top of the world for the next week though, it was right before christmas, and i thought it was the best christmas present I had ever gotten.

I can't even imagine having the luxury of not going completely apesh*t upon receiving an acceptance. Statements like "I even had to fake excitement when I got called by the admissions committee of another school" just make my mind explode. Must be nice!

Ditto. Just imagining the day makes me a little teary.

i tinkled all over myself. then i ran around my apartment building screaming "i'm going to be a doctor" with a huge urine stain on my crouch for 30 minutes until i passed out in front of one of my neighbor's doors. she found me 3 hours later, still wet, clutching my acceptance letter, sucking my thumb, and sleeping like a baby.
:lol:

bumped for post-May 15th love

i was happy with my firsts acceptance. not nearly as much as i was with the second. the second settled everything. the second was a dream. im still glowing four days later.:D

i was happy with my firsts acceptance. not nearly as much as i was with the second. the second settled everything. the second was a dream. im still glowing four days later.:D

SAME HERE! Getting into your dream school is ..well...like a dream :) I'm still in disbelief that I'm going to Penn!

I was absolutely ecstatic when I got my acceptance. When I read the words "A position in the freshman class is now available," I lost it for a bit and didn't stop laughing the whole night. I promptly went to a friend's house, slammed 2 strong rum and cokes then headed out for my mom's birthday dinner (which, obviously, turned into a dual celebration). I also went to sleep at about 9. What a relief!

Mine was a few years ago, but I got accepted initially to the one school from which I wanted to be rejected, so I wouldn't even have to deal with it. So I wasn't happy and started crying because my dad told me I had to go there.

When I got accepted to my current school, I was so happy and thankful. I called my parents who were on vacation, and my dad basically yelled out in excitement too, and he was on an airplane that had just landed.

It was the monday of my last week of my clinical research job. I happened to check my email and immediately began jumping around the lab (the study subjects couldn't see me:)). I told all my coworkers and proceded to run into the store closet to call my parents and boyfriend. I then texted my closest girl friends.

It sucked trying to work the rest of the day, because I was so happy and couldn't really explain it to my subjects (they live in time free zones for the duration of their studies and it could be a time cue).

I then celebrated with an upscale Italian dinner and a bottle of wine.

Mine was a few years ago, but I got accepted initially to the one school from which I wanted to be rejected, so I wouldn't even have to deal with it. So I wasn't happy and started crying because my dad told me I had to go there.

When I got accepted to my current school, I was so happy and thankful. I called my parents who were on vacation, and my dad basically yelled out in excitement too, and he was on an airplane that had just landed.

If you didn't want to be accepted, how hard would it have been to hijack your own application...by wearing sunglasses to your interview or pulling a Kumar for example or perhaps something more subtle. (Assuming you were confident you'd get in somewhere else)

I was really stunned when I received mine. It came in a thin envelope and was much sooner after my interview than I was told we'd hear back. I just casually opened it (expecting an interview follow-up of some sort), then stared at it for a minute before tearing up and asking my boyfriend to make sure I hadn't read it incorrectly. It was an odd feeling to have the weight of working and waiting so long finally be removed. Probably would have been more energetic if it hadn't been from a school 1000 miles away, though.

When I got in to my top choice school...I put my head down on my desk and took a catnap. I was totally drained and exhausted and relieved. I called everyone I know, and spent some time alone with the news. I fell asleep soon after that; I'd gotten my wisdom teeth removed the previous day :rolleyes:

It's been four months, I'm finally getting ready to move, and when I need a smile all I have to do is think, 'I'm going to UW' and I giggle a little. I don't think that feeling is ever going to wear off!

When I got in to my top choice school...I put my head down on my desk and took a catnap. I was totally drained and exhausted and relieved. I called everyone I know, and spent some time alone with the news. I fell asleep soon after that; I'd gotten my wisdom teeth removed the previous day :rolleyes:

It's been four months, I'm finally getting ready to move, and when I need a smile all I have to do is think, 'I'm going to UW' and I giggle a little. I don't think that feeling is ever going to wear off!

i've been in at pitt since january and sometimes i find myself smiling like an idiot for no reason when i think to myself i'm going to pitt! it was the best school i applied to (ok about even with pritzker) and i didn't think there was any hope- but it was my first invite and first acceptance and then i withdrew from every other school.
i can just be on line someplace waiting at starbucks and all i need to do is think about the day i got that email from one of the admissions people who interviewed me-- and i just can't stop smiling.

Two of my acceptances gave me distinctly different feelings. For the first one I got, it was like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders and I knew I wouldn't have to apply again. I got this one in November but it was my in-state DO school. I would have been happy going there, but I really wanted to get into my state MD school.

So this past Monday (5/12) I was at work sitting on the toilet when the call came in. The number had the same area code as some of my friends from school so I though it may have been one of them calling from their home so I answered it :scared:. Boy was I surprised when it was my state MD school offering me a position in their class! Had the call come any earlier I probly would have pooped my pants for real, lol. I hope the lady that called couldn't hear the echo :laugh:

I found out less than a week after I interviewed, and it was a complete surprise because they told me I'd find out in 3 weeks. I was shadowing a surgeon and it went late because of traumas that came in, so when I checked my phone as I was leaving, I had missed a call from the school, rushed home [without crashing somehow], and checked my email to get the acceptance letter. Proceeded to jump up and down and scream with my mom, call everyone I knew and downed a bottle of champagne, just in time to get in bed and go back to shadowing in the OR the next morning--a tad hungover. :D

I remember being accepted. Even though I was a very old non-traditional student, I wanted to go to an allopathic school and I wanted to be accepted to my in-state school, although I was applying everywhere. Several of my SDN friends who interviewed the same week I did got their acceptances, and I heard nothing. This was right before Christmas. I started my Christmas break from work - and slept every morning until the mailman came around noon - non-chemical anesthesia.

Anyhoo... the University of Oklahoma always sends your acceptance in a "BRE" - Big Red Envelope. One morning, I went out to the mailbox, saw red, and thought it was a Christmas card. I was just about to close the box when I realized that it was too big to be a Christmas card. I let out an incredible whoop - and I was standing outside in freezing weather in my bathrobe (what I didn't know was that students who were awarded a scholarship took an additional week to process).

Knowing it was an acceptance envelope, there was really no drama in tearing the envelope open. But I laughed and cried at the same time for probably 20 minutes - and just ended-up with snot everywhere. Good thing I was alone - for a 43-year-old grown man, it wasn't attractive. I waited until I cooled-off to call my mother - and started blubbering again when I tried to talk. It took a good 5 minutes for her to understand what I was trying to say.

Of course, before every test block in first year, I'd always think, "what the h*ll was I so excited about??" :laugh:

Two of my acceptances gave me distinctly different feelings. For the first one I got, it was like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders and I knew I wouldn't have to apply again. I got this one in November but it was my in-state DO school. I would have been happy going there, but I really wanted to get into my state MD school.

So this past Monday (5/12) I was at work sitting on the toilet when the call came in. The number had the same area code as some of my friends from school so I though it may have been one of them calling from their home so I answered it :scared:. Boy was I surprised when it was my state MD school offering me a position in their class! Had the call come any earlier I probly would have pooped my pants for real, lol. I hope the lady that called couldn't hear the echo :laugh:

Best acceptance notification story ever.

If you didn't want to be accepted, how hard would it have been to hijack your own application...by wearing sunglasses to your interview or pulling a Kumar for example or perhaps something more subtle. (Assuming you were confident you'd get in somewhere else)

I went into the interviews wanting to go (ideal pre-med stuff -- total PBL, state school, etc). After each subsequent interview and hearing about how PBL worked, I was less attracted to the school. The one good thing about getting accepted was that I got to quit my job.

Don't know what Kumar is.

THESE are the heart-warming acceptance stories i was looking for!

i love all of the above, but the teary, snotty, 43 year-old man in the freezing cold has got to be the best.

also, lol @ answering the cell on the toilet. i'm sure she could hear the echo.

My first one was on a Saturday. It was the day of my graduation and I was really bummed out cause I had gotten waitlisted at another school a couple days before. My parents dropped me off and I was getting ready to walk in the door when I noticed a letter in the mail. It was a small envelope so I was expecting another rejection. I opened it and then flipped the hell out. There I was on my porch, in my cap and gown, screaming like a maniac. I guess my dad saw me cause he slammed on his breaks and stopped the car in the middle of the street and left it there while everyone was congratulating me. It was an awesome day...