How hard are Masters programs? Does anyone have experience with any of these Masters programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pre Dental Rev

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I will be graduating in May 2022 and I am planning on applying that summer. I still trying to decide if I should apply this cycle because I have a low GPA 3.1 (sGPA 3.0). I have confidence in bringing my GPA and sGPA up to 3.3 (3.4 if I work extra hard) by the time I graduate because my low gpa is caused by a horrible freshman year with 1 failing class as well. The last 3 semesters I had all A's so I think I have my problem all figured out.

I do feel like I can do good in a Masters program, but the problem is I don't know how hard Masters programs are so I am kind of wary. So right now I am deciding between applying for Masters program, or finding a dental related job while applying for dental school next cycle. One of my shadowing dentists taught me how to be a dental assistant and gave me lots of experience as one, so I think it is possible for me to get a dental assistant job.

These are the current pre-dental Masters programs I am thinking about, can people who have attended these programs share their experiences?
Nova Southeastern biomedical sciences
Rutgers biomedical Sciences
Boston University Oral Health Sciences
Tulane Cell and Molecular Biology
Marquette biomedical sciences

Does anyone know of any other good pre-dental Masters programs?

Edit: I think I might apply this cycle and take the DAT next month just to push my luck and see if I get lucky.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Barry is another great program
Case western has one of the best masters as well

Reactions: 1 user
So I will be graduating in May 2022 and I am planning on applying that summer. I skipped applying this cycle because I have a low GPA 3.1 (sGPA 3.0). I have confidence in bringing my GPA and sGPA up to 3.3 (3.4 if I work extra hard) by the time I graduate because my low gpa is caused by a horrible freshman year with 1 failing class as well. The last 3 semesters I had all A's so I think I have my problem all figured out.

I do feel like I can do good in a Masters program, but the problem is I don't know how hard Masters programs are so I am kind of wary. So right now I am deciding between applying for Masters program, or finding a dental related job while applying for dental school next cycle. One of my shadowing dentists taught me how to be a dental assistant and gave me lots of experience as one, so I think it is possible for me to get a dental assistant job.

These are the current pre-dental Masters programs I am thinking about, can people who have attended these programs share their experiences?
Nova Southeastern biomedical sciences
Rutgers biomedical Sciences
Boston University Oral Health Sciences
Tulane Cell and Molecular Biology
Marquette biomedical sciences

Does anyone know of any other good pre-dental Masters programs?
With a master's on your application you will be able to get in. As long as your DAT score is above average.

Members don't see this ad :)
In all honesty if you can get a 21+ AA on the DAT you won’t even need a Masters as long as you can bring your GPAs up to a 3.3.
The thing is, I don't know how well I'll do on the DAT. I'm planning on taking the DAT in September but I feel like I should still apply to a Master's school while applying to Dental school because I'm afraid of not getting accepted and wasting an entire year doing nothing after I graduate.
With a 3.3 do you think it's better to do a Master's after graduating? Or should I spend a year working while studying to up my DAT scores if I don't do well on my DAT this year?

The thing is, I don't know how well I'll do on the DAT. I'm planning on taking the DAT in September but I feel like I should still apply to a Master's school while applying to Dental school because I'm afraid of not getting accepted and wasting an entire year doing nothing after I graduate.
With a 3.3 do you think it's better to do a Master's after graduating? Or should I spend a year working while studying to up my DAT scores if I don't do well on my DAT this year?
I’m not familiar with the deadlines for masters programs but if you’re able to take your DAT first and then make a decision from there that would be best. If you get a 22 or 23 AA, there’s really no need for a Masters if you can get your GPA up to that 3.3 mark. Otherwise, with a 19-20, I would suggest a masters, I got in with a 3.3 and a 19 AA but I didn’t get an overwhelming amount of interviews either.

In all honesty if you can get a 21+ AA on the DAT you won’t even need a Masters as long as you can bring your GPAs up to a 3.3.
Of course you dont need a masters to get in, hell you dont need a good score, you just have to know someone lol. but what i'm trying to help with is increasing OPs chances of getting in and for his specific case, a masters would grant him more opportunities than without.

Unless you are ready to go into the Masters program and get all As, I would advise not doing it at all. If you think GPA is an issue, do a DIY post-bacc with upper level science courses. Don't go in to a Masters program unless you are 100% sure that you will devote every hour of your day to the coursework and get a bare minimum of a couple Bs. It's extremely difficult and if you struggle and end up with a low GPA (anything below a 3.8) you won't have a chance to get in to dental school. It's far better to make money and hours (experience) being a dental assistant and study your butt off for the highest possible DAT score. DO NOT go in to the Masters unless you are willing to devote every hour to the classes and get all As.

GPA (anything below a 3.8) you won't have a chance to get in to dental school.
this is not true lol. also a completed masters program will give you a point on your application that other applicants don’t get, i was told this by admissions at a couple of schools. yes it is cheaper to get a higher dat score than to do a masters but not everyone can get a 22+ score.

this is not true lol. also a completed masters program will give you a point on your application that other applicants don’t get, i was told this by admissions at a couple of schools. yes it is cheaper to get a higher dat score than to do a masters but not everyone can get a 22+ score.
The programs OP refers to are SMPs and are not real Masters that hold no value outside of trying to get in to professional schools. The whole idea of SMPs is to prove to professional schools that you can handle the coursework of a professional school. A completed Masters program can mean anything from a 3.0 to a 4.0. I can tell you with full confidence that a completed SMP with a 3.0 is seen as proof that you won't do well at professional schools and such people are not even considered for professional school. It's not at all a positive thing to have, but a negative thing to have.
There have been many people who had a decent GPA and MCAT/DAT scores who could've simply earned more hours and worked to improve their application that end up doing SMPs and get GPAs below a 3.5 and are no longer seen as "viable" candidates. My whole point is that if your mindset is that doing an SMP will "improve my undergrad GPA" or "be a good indicator" it's not true at all. It's a very high risk, minimal reward program, especially with the grades OP has. Do a DIY post-bacc which can actually raise your undergrad GPA. Work at the dental office that you have a connection to. Study as hard as you would at a SMP for the DAT and you will surely get a higher DAT score. These are far better options for OP.