HOW HARD IS DENTAL SCHOOL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What I stated above is what mentors and friends in dental school have told me. I guess it all depends on the program and ultimately the student. I'll be a D1 this fall, so hopefully, they are right!

Members don't see this ad.

School isn't that bad so far. I have about the same average as undergrad, with less than 2 hours of studying per night except nights before exams. Life is better when you don't want to specialize. It did take three tries to get in though...

Lo

lol try telling that to the kids that get held back for failing certain classes... Or the kids that have to makeup failed classes in the summer, or the ones who drop out for hands skill issues. This is defintely not the norm but I really don't like the phrase "the hardest part is getting in", because at least at my school i don't agree with that-- if you don't put in a fair amount of effort you will fail and will be held back.
This. At my school it's not at all infrequent for students to fail courses and have to remediate or even retake the year. I know many who put in unbelievable hours and still only squeeze out Bs and Cs. People excel at different things, too - some in the classroom, some in the clinic, some in both/neither. But all who are devoted and put in the effort will get in and get out. Having a thick skin helps.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Fascinated that this thread began when i was 4! I'm going to begin my undergrad as a biomedical engineering major and am having doubts in myself if i'll be able to perform well enough in all aspects to get into dental school aka GPA, DAT, letters of rec. Any advice on how to stay focused on everything at once? Or does it all fall to you naturally being in pre-dental?

Fascinated that this thread began when i was 4! I'm going to begin my undergrad as a biomedical engineering major and am having doubts in myself if i'll be able to perform well enough in all aspects to get into dental school aka GPA, DAT, letters of rec. Any advice on how to stay focused on everything at once? Or does it all fall to you naturally being in pre-dental?

If dental school is the end game, why the unnecessary stress of a biomedical engineering major?

Maybe it's a backup plan or an actual interest. But Faux makes a good point.

All that effort will most likely not carry over into dental school, if at all.

My advice is to major is whatever you want, not what you think the dental schools will like because they dont care. Take the prerequisite courses then apply.
If you have no preference, then pick a major that'll give you the highest GPA

If dental school is the end game, why the unnecessary stress of a biomedical engineering major?

I have an interest in biomedical engineering and it is also a backup plan in case i change my mind or dont do well enough to get into dental school