How hard is for International student to get into med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Norkick13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an International student. I just came across many universities which do not accept international student. I want to know what are the factors that really play vital role for international student doing undergrad in US. Also What about MD-PHD? Is it barely possible for dedicated international student to got in?

Members don't see this ad.

Usually comes down to undergraduate degree and visa status. Most schools don't recognize foreign degrees. If you aren't a permanent resident, you can almost forget about medical school in the US.

Usually comes down to undergraduate degree and visa status. Most schools don't recognize foreign degrees. If you aren't a permanent resident, you can almost forget about medical school in the US.
I will be graduating from SUNY Stony Brook as bio major. I am on student visa and hoping for three more years for graduation. How hard is to get in? My parents are supporting enough to support me through med school. I hope there are some possibilities.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be graduating from SUNY Stony Brook as bio major. I am on student visa and hoping for three more years for graduation. How hard is to get in? My parents are supporting enough to support me through med school. I hope there are some possibilities.

Stats?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Good stats, good EC's, and you are in man. People make it sounds like its impossible but its not. Its harder than for an average pre-med but its definitely not impossible

Check my MDapplicants' profile (under my avatar). I'm an international student OP and I think I did fine.

The lack of citizenship or permanent residency doesn't mean game over, but it's much more difficult since you're limited to schools that consider internationals, which are often the rich and highly ranked privates. From looking at the statistics, the average GPA and MCAT scores of internationals successfully admitted to medical schools are a bit higher.

How is your English? Are you very conversational and fluent? From my experience, high performing internationals can get interview invites just fine; it's their language that seems to damage a lot of internationals at the interview stage.

The lack of citizenship or permanent residency doesn't mean game over, but it's much more difficult since you're limited to schools that consider internationals, which are often the rich and highly ranked privates. From looking at the statistics, the average GPA and MCAT scores of internationals successfully admitted to medical schools are a bit higher.

How is your English? Are you very conversational and fluent? From my experience, high performing internationals can get interview invites just fine; it's their language that seems to damage a lot of internationals at the interview stage.

I m fluent and well spoken but sometimes my accent comes up but its clear and understandable.

Good stats, good EC's, and you are in man. People make it sounds like its impossible but its not. Its harder than for an average pre-med but its definitely not impossible

Check my MDapplicants' profile (under my avatar). I'm an international student OP and I think I did fine.
Thanks ....You are pretty strong applicant.... congrats for ur success