How hard is going to be in TX, with my stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ichimaru

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know these posts are annoying, but I'm feeling really down right now. I just made an 80 on exam 3 of one of my bio courses, and there is no way I'm getting an A in there. The same goes for biochem. It's frustrating how I can't seem to make A's when I really need to.

If I manage to pull all A's next semester, my science GPA will be a 3.34, and overall 3.5x. To make things worse, my MCAT this past August was a 24... :( I hope I can do better after taking TPR. Anyway, have any of you had similar stats (perhaps with a higher MCAT) and gotten into a Texas MD school (or any out of state)? I think my only hope is to do well on the MCAT in April. Sigh...

Members don't see this ad.

Just pull out your Bankai...

Sorry, had to say it...can't help you on the TX stuff =[], but good luck on the MCAT dude. Show them that 24 was a fluke :).

I don't want to be a jackass and destroy your dreams, but with your stats, very hard.
I don't know about TX, I've got 3.35 and a 36 and I'm not getting any interviews.
I'm the exception (a cautionary example for everyone else?) but make sure you've got great ECs. Study hard for the MCAT, get some good LORs and, of course, clear up the ECs and you'll have a good chance at some of the TX schools (Tech, San Antonio).

Members don't see this ad :)
desiredusername said:
I don't want to be a jackass and destroy your dreams, but with your stats, very hard.
I don't know about TX, I've got 3.35 and a 36 and I'm not getting any interviews.
I'm the exception (a cautionary example for everyone else?) but make sure you've got great ECs. Study hard for the MCAT, get some good LORs and, of course, clear up the ECs and you'll have a good chance at some of the TX schools (Tech, San Antonio).

Thanks for the feedback. I've done a bit of volunteering at a hospital & teaching at a local elementary school. I also worked in an OR for a year, and I'm currently working at a lab for one of my bio profs. Other than that, I'm in a premed club. That's about it...one thing that may hurt is not having leadership positions.

It really worries me that you're having trouble getting interviews with a 36 MCAT...I don't know if I'll even be able to match your MCAT score =/ When did you submit all your apps?

Turkeyman said:
Just pull out your Bankai...

Sorry, had to say it...can't help you on the TX stuff =[], but good luck on the MCAT dude. Show them that 24 was a fluke :).

Haha I don't even know what my Bankai is yet :p They haven't revealed it in the anime yet, & I don't read the manga.

ichimaru said:
Thanks for the feedback. I've done a bit of volunteering at a hospital & teaching at a local elementary school. I also worked in an OR for a year, and I'm currently working at a lab for one of my bio profs. Other than that, I'm in a premed club. That's about it...one thing that may hurt is not having leadership positions.

It really worries me that you're having trouble getting interviews with a 36 MCAT...I don't know if I'll even be able to match your MCAT score =/ When did you submit all your apps?

Wow, your ECs look great. I tutored kids, it's tough. I bet teaching them is even harder. I've got a lot of respect for that - I don't know what med schools think. And you can do well on the MCAT. Just be methodical. Figure out the patterns and you'll do well. There are a lot of great insights on the MCAT Prep forum here on SDN. I studied content HARD and it worked out well for me.
I've been complete anywhere from a month to a week. So, I'll be more patient. It worries me that I'm having trouble getting interviews, too. It only takes one acceptance, right? Granted, I have one interview from my state school, but they interview EVERY in-state applicant and I'm not going to get in because I told the dean of admissions their "school f*cking sucks because [they] like to admit ugly ******s who lie to [them]." No, before you ask, I was sober. Well, at least I'm not a *****. That will keep me warm when I'm sleeping on the streets. Anyway.... maybe my personal statement sucks, maybe my ECs are unconvincing, who knows... I think schools really do look at the whole package.
Frankly, I would love to get the opportunity to go to school in TX. I think the state schools are great and you've got a great opportunity at your doorstep. All you've got to do is get that MCAT up a few points (30+?) and I think you'll do great.
Good luck!

According to TMDSAS, I have a 3.2 sci GPA (it's a 3.3 on AMCAS) and a 3.6 overall. I got a 27 on the MCAT and I'm a TX resident. I had an interview at UT Houston in October which went very well, so there is hope for the average stat applicant. Just make sure you bring your MCAT score up to at least a 27. I had a 10 in one section and a 9 in another, and I wish I could just bump that up to have 2 10's.

To the OP, checking out some of the stats off the TMDSAS website...the matriculant average GPA and MCAT was a 3.6 and a 28-29. If you have around these stats and are a texas resident, it will be much easier for you than having these stats and being out of state. if you are OOS, you will need to have better stats to have a better chance at getting noticied than others.

Aside from this, good ECs and LORs will definitely help out your cause. Good luck.

BaylorGuy said:
To the OP, checking out some of the stats off the TMDSAS website...the matriculant average GPA and MCAT was a 3.6 and a 28-29. If you have around these stats and are a texas resident, it will be much easier for you than having these stats and being out of state. if you are OOS, you will need to have better stats to have a better chance at getting noticied than others.

Aside from this, good ECs and LORs will definitely help out your cause. Good luck.

So how much better do the stats of an OOS applicant need to be to have a good chance with Texas schools?

Wait, you aren't OOS are you? (Being honest here). If so, it isn't worth spending the money on applying without a mid-thirties MCAT. I know one OOS with a 38R 3.8g.p.a. and UT-H said he just didn't have the minimal scores needed.

However if you are in-state, like someone else said, a 28-29 would be fine.

mag68 said:
So how much better do the stats of an OOS applicant need to be to have a good chance with Texas schools?

Since Texas schools take 90% instate (except Baylor), you need to have stats that will not only far surpass Texas residents, but all other OOS applicants. I don't know if its as sever as TexasPreMed just said, but i'd say at least a 3.7 and a 31-32.

But then again, all med schools are a little crazy in their choosings, so you may get lucky with something lower or get nothing with something higher.

ichimaru said:
I know these posts are annoying, but I'm feeling really down right now. I just made an 80 on exam 3 of one of my bio courses, and there is no way I'm getting an A in there. The same goes for biochem. It's frustrating how I can't seem to make A's when I really need to.

If I manage to pull all A's next semester, my science GPA will be a 3.34, and overall 3.5x. To make things worse, my MCAT this past August was a 24... :( I hope I can do better after taking TPR. Anyway, have any of you had similar stats (perhaps with a higher MCAT) and gotten into a Texas MD school (or any out of state)? I think my only hope is to do well on the MCAT in April. Sigh...

You need a 28 to have have a chance at an interview in Texas.

Apply to out of state and to DO schools.

I'm a Texas resident, thankfully. I really hope a 28+ will be good enough. I'd be very happy to get accepted at any TX school, but I'd love to go to one in Houston, San Antonio, or Dallas (my hometown).

ichimaru said:
I'm a Texas resident, thankfully. I really hope a 28+ will be good enough. I'd be very happy to get accepted at any TX school, but I'd love to go to one in Houston, San Antonio, or Dallas (my hometown).

You might get into TCOM or Tech with a 28. I really don't forsee you hearing from Dallas without at least a 30.

Keep in mind that with a 28-30, you'll have a slight chance only.

To make sure you get in, you'll want to apply out-of-state.

Members don't see this ad :)
OSUdoc08 said:
You might get into TCOM or Tech with a 28. I really don't forsee you hearing from Dallas without at least a 30.

Keep in mind that with a 28-30, you'll have a slight chance only.

To make sure you get in, you'll want to apply out-of-state.

Agreed. No doubt I'll be applying to tons of out-of-state schools. I was flipping throught he MSAR and the out-of-state schools with lower GPA's/MCAT's are so expensive! TX med schools are such a good deal :)

ichimaru said:
Agreed. No doubt I'll be applying to tons of out-of-state schools. I was flipping throught he MSAR and the out-of-state schools with lower GPA's/MCAT's are so expensive! TX med schools are such a good deal :)

They are. I completely agree with you. Fortunately, it won't make much of a difference, since you will get adequate money to pay off wherever you go.

OSUdoc08 said:
You need a 28 to have have a chance at an interview in Texas.

Most likely true, but there are always exceptions to the rule. OP, you never know what the admissions committee will do.

Canuck99 said:
Most likely true, but there are always exceptions to the rule. OP, you never know what the admissions committee will do.

The Texas admissions committees aren't as mysterious as some of the AMCAS schools. They pretty much base everything off of GPA/MCAT.

OSUdoc08 said:
The Texas admissions committees aren't as mysterious as some of the AMCAS schools. They pretty much base everything off of GPA/MCAT.

This is usually the case, but I have a white male friend that go into UT-South last year with a 26, and another who goes to Tech also with a 26, after interviewing at all TX schools, except Baylor. It can be done, OP keep at it.

Canuck99 said:
This is usually the case, but I have a white male friend that go into UT-South last year with a 26, and another who goes to Tech also with a 26, after interviewing at all TX schools, except Baylor. It can be done, OP keep at it.

Yeah, but certainly their GPA must have been higher than yours.

If not, then I really got screwed over, since I had a 28.

OSUdoc08 said:
Yeah, but certainly their GPA must have been higher than yours.

If not, then I really got screwed over, since I had a 28.

they were good, but not outstanding. i am just trying to give the OP some hope by saying that there are always exceptions to the rule. pretty sure that i will get screwed this year from all TX MD schools. however, i have had the pleasure to interview at TCOM.

a/m is pretty good at looking at the whole applicant even though they have the smallest class size in TX.

I was waitlisted with a 26 and 3.4 GPA about 3 years ago. Worked in a hospital and had a GREAT PS though.

tx schools arent very hard to get into
3.6 28 and some token ECs along with a decent app and youre set
except dallas

Shredder said:
tx schools arent very hard to get into
3.6 28 and some token ECs along with a decent app and youre set
except dallas

:thumbdown: