How hard is it for a Canadians to work as an associate in US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys!

I am planning to get my dental degree in US if I can't get in Canadian dental schools. But I probably would like to work in US for awhile to pay back the expensive loan. I am wondering how hard is it for new Canadian dental graduated to find a position an associate in US?

Are Canadians graduates welcomed in US?

And what kind of working visa do I need? How troublesome is it to get this type of working visa?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Smooth Operater said:
Hello guys!

I am planning to get my dental degree in US if I can't get in Canadian dental schools. But I probably would like to work in US for awhile to pay back the expensive loan. I am wondering how hard is it for new Canadian dental graduated to find a position an associate in US?

Are Canadians graduates welcomed in US?

And what kind of working visa do I need? How troublesome is it to get this type of working visa?

Thanks!!

hi smooth operater
I am doing the same thing
I am permanent resident in canada but will soon get canadian citizenship
I got admission into a us school
from what little I know, canadian citizens (not permanent residents) need TN visa , and not H1 visa
this is because of NAFTA aggreement between us canada and mexico
so canadians are allowed to work in usa provided they find an employer
so if you have a letter of employment from an employer in usa , all you need is go to the border and pay some 50 dollars as fees and they give you working (tn) visa
but I think we cannot do private practise in usa unless we have a green card
and private practise is where the money is
so maybe it is better to come back to canada and start your own practise
now that the canadian dollar is very strong, it is financially viable to come back and start our own practise
well that is what I know , I maybe wrong