How hard is it to find loan forgiveness in Psych?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justclouds9000

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how hard /competitive it is to find a job as a psychiatrist post-residency , which will pay off some of your student loans? I know there are a couple of federal programs that you can apply for. and military stuff..but I'm interested in finding out about loan forgiveness directly from employers. Can almost anyone find something if they are willing to go into rural/under served areas or is it pretty competitive?

Members don't see this ad.

You can get almost any non govt employer to "give" you loan repayment, but you probably could've gotten them to give you the same amount as a salary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For now, there is a 10 year public service loan forgiveness. Residency, academic jobs certainly are non profit, but many other health systems are too. The REPAYE plan keeps payments down significantly as an attending.

But it's taking a risk that Congress won't do away with these things before you get a chance to forgive the loans, and capitalized interest can bite you hard if you can't at least cover that with your payment.

Reactions: 1 user
Any attendings here go the route of just aggressively repaying loans over course of couple years post residency?

I know 90% of residents claim we are going to do that, but any of you all actually been successful is forcing yourself to do it?

Any attendings here go the route of just aggressively repaying loans over course of couple years post residency?

I know 90% of residents claim we are going to do that, but any of you all actually been successful is forcing yourself to do it?

If PSLF ceased, I think more people would be likely to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
I was wondering how hard /competitive it is to find a job as a psychiatrist post-residency , which will pay off some of your student loans? I know there are a couple of federal programs that you can apply for. and military stuff..but I'm interested in finding out about loan forgiveness directly from employers. Can almost anyone find something if they are willing to go into rural/under served areas or is it pretty competitive?

It's not as difficult as you think. Lots of jobs out there offer loan repayment. Also negotiate. They can give you more than that first measly offer.

I took a job in a mid-sized city in the Midwest that offered generous loan forgiveness. I am now essentially free of student loan debt (assuming I stay in this job for a couple more years - if you leave early, they will expect you to repay some portion of the forgiven loan). These jobs are out there if you are open to going to places that are not saturated markets.