How hard is it to get a 7 in every section?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorFeelGood

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, Im currently studying for the April MCAT and was wondering how hard it is to get 7's across the board? Verbal is my main problem. I've been scoring about 4's on every practice test. What suggestions do you have. English is my 3rd language and I'm trying my best! I'm determined to do what it takes.

MOE :p :confused: :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

That is a pretty vague and relative question, so the answer is: It is slightly harder than it is to get sixes, but not quite as hard as it is to get eights.

i don't have much experience, but i would think that if you have been getting 4's on your practice tests then you prob won't see a dramatic difference on the real thing...but don't give up studying and try your best at it...you never know. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that it is relatively easy to get 7's across the board, if you learn a few tricks. In order to get a 7 on Verbal, I think you can miss about 35-40% of the questions (But check on that, cause I'm not sure.) Anyway, if you feel that you are short on time because it probably takes you much longer to read and actually comprehend a passage, then you could pick out 6 out of the 9 passages and spend your time on those. I find that you have a better chance if you focus on something, than if you are trying to do everything at the same time. Try that on a sample test, and see how you do. Good Luck! :)

If you're really determined to do what it takes to improve your verbal score, there's only one effective way to do it: read books. Specifically, read *good* books. Pick some college-level works of fiction or nonfiction (whichever you prefer) and just try to read as much as you can, in whatever spare time you have.

In my experience, the MCAT prep courses really can't teach you how to do well on the Verbal section. Verbal Reasoning is just something you have to work on by yourself, and is not something that can be easily learned from an MCAT prep course in a few hours! Remember that the main (unwritten) reason for the existence of the Verbal section in the first place is to weed out foreign students who have stellar science GPAs but can't speak or understand English! Thus, it's just an additional hurdle you've got to overcome.

Good luck!

Also, a 7 in every section comes out to a 21 total score. I'm not sure where you're applying, but that's not a particularly impressive MCAT score for any program. Any particular reason you haven't set your sights a bit higher?

It also depends on what tests you are taking because I averaged a 27-31 on the practice tests and got a 35 on the real thing. This is especially true if you are you are taking practice tests from review companies such as princeton review or kaplan.

I have always wondering the same thing but I took a class with a test prep company and the tests we were taking were after we paid all of the money for the class (we took a test every week). So how we did on the test did not effect how much money we gave them. The only reason I can think that they would intentionally make the tests hard is the company likes to brag to potential customers that their students have a much higher average than the rest of the school and they figure by scaring the crap out of us we will study harder and make the average score for the test company go higher.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by DoctorFeelGood:
•Hello, Im currently studying for the April MCAT and was wondering how hard it is to get 7's across the board? Verbal is my main problem. I've been scoring about 4's on every practice test. What suggestions do you have. English is my 3rd language and I'm trying my best! I'm determined to do what it takes.

MOE :p :confused: :mad: •••••I would like to make a suggestion here. Use the examkracker verbal reasoning book. Its not too expensive and it is working for me.
:)

here's a trick i learned. (you can take notes in your mcat test booklet.) practice reading. while reading underline main ideas and make notes. then answer the questions. i made a 7 and 10 on the verbal, in that order. i improved my score, in that area alone, by 3 points.

try it you might like it.