How hard is it to get a dermatology residency as an IMG?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joycegirl

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm currently in pre-med studies. My GPA is over 3.75 but my MCAT was not very good :( (my first attempt). I am planning on re-writing my MCAT in a few months and hoping for a better score.

I am interested in the dermatology field and would like to know what the chances are to secure a residency spot in the USA if I go to a medical school abroad. A lot of people have been doing it from what I've heard, I know a Plastic Surgery resident who matched to a competitive program after going to Ross.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I'm currently in pre-med studies. My GPA is over 3.75 but my MCAT was not very good :( (my first attempt). I am planning on re-writing my MCAT in a few months and hoping for a better score.

I am interested in the dermatology field and would like to know what the chances are to secure a residency spot in the USA if I go to a medical school abroad. A lot of people have been doing it from what I've heard, I know a Plastic Surgery resident who matched to a competitive program after going to Ross.

Thoughts?
Lol, no, it's an uphill battle as a US MD, it's near impossible as an IMG even you have the qualifications.

Whoever told you the statement in bold was either being intentionally deceptive or is an idiot.

I would give you specifically a <1% chance of matching dermatology as an IMG

12 IMGs matched dermatology in 2018

Reactions: 2 users
Hey, don't even consider carrib. That's a great GPA...with a 3.75+ you should be able to crack 500 and get into a DO program. Take an extra year if you have to and label it a smart investment

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 4 users
Statistically almost impossible unless your parent happens to be CMO of a major hospital network or the PD of a dermatology program

Hey everyone,

Thoughts?

You can look at Ross's residency appointments here. Of note:

2018 - 627 appointments, 0 dermatology
2017 - 660 appointments, 0 dermatology
2016 - 785 appointments, 2 dermatology*
2015 - 830 appointments, 0 dermatology
2014 - 0 dermatology
2013 - 0 dermatology
2012 - 0 dermatology
2011 - 0 dermatology
And so on...

* Of the two listed, one did a surgery internship and two research fellowships before securing a dermatology spot. The other is curiously not listed on the program's website as being a current PGY-3.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm 99% sure you won't be able to get into derm as an IMG. Your chances at even FM/IM/psych are very poor.

Virtually impossible. Once you start and screw up it’s nearly impossible the get your footing back and it’s a constant uphill battle.

Going to a carribean medical school is the ultimate screwup and an uphill climb you will never be able to finish.

Put in the hard work now. Carribean is never an ok option, you will be lucky to get into primary care from the carribean.

Thank you everyone. I guess I was way over my head thinking about that possibility :(