How hard is it to get a job as a phlebotomist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Funky

This space is for sale
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've done the research on getting a certification to get one but how available are jobs as a phlebotomist especially in the NYC/LI area? Is it easy to get a full time job in it? Does anybody know something about this?

Members don't see this ad.

bump..so nobody knows?

I work in a lab in Chicago (hospital system that includes four hospitals, over 10 patient service centers, and a donor center), and we ALWAYS have openings. I'd say we currently have 7 open positions on first shift alone! I hate to say it, but it's basically a revolving door on that area of the hospital- most phlebotomists (at least in our area) are using the job as a stepping stone...not unlike some of us here on SDN;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I work in a lab in Chicago (hospital system that includes four hospitals, over 10 patient service centers, and a donor center), and we ALWAYS have openings. I'd say we currently have 7 open positions on first shift alone! I hate to say it, but it's basically a revolving door on that area of the hospital- most phlebotomists (at least in our area) are using the job as a stepping stone...not unlike some of us here on SDN;)

At my job we currently have 4 openings. And after I leave at the end of April there will be 5. What you need to figure out is if the hospital only hires certified phlebotomists or will give you on the job training.

How much do phlebotomists make? At least.. the ones in your areas..

Phlebotomy is actually a pretty easy job to get into even if you don't have experience. Companies that do plasma donation are always looking. The Red Cross will do training for whole blood phlebotomists. Hospitals usually want you to have CPR at the very least. Any other licenses like CNA or EMT will go a long way. There isn't a good reason to get a phlebotomy certification unless you plan on doing it for a career. Most make under $10/hour outside of the hospital and can make more within a hospital.