How hard is it to get a Military residency in internal medicine in HPSP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kg062007

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a person get's an HPSP scholarship, and applies to an military residency in internal medicine how likely is it that they will be selected? Does competitiveness differ among the army, navy, air force?

Members don't see this ad.

I can only comment on Army, because as you mentioned, each Specialty varies across branches.

Please see this thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=792439

Post #15 is the GME slideshow and page 14 shows you the Match Statistics for IM for the last 5 years. It looks like everyone that wanted an IM spot got one, but this doesn't mean they went where they wanted to go.

Also the Army only has residency spots for IM at:
SAUSHEC
EAMC
MAMC
TAMC
NCC
WBAMC

These are the only places you could go for IM. If I wasnt misinformed from my USUHS friend trying for IM he mentioned that MAMC is one of the most sought IM residency locations and after that I do not know.

Hope this helps on the Army end.

If a person get's an HPSP scholarship, and applies to an military residency in internal medicine how likely is it that they will be selected? Does competitiveness differ among the army, navy, air force?

Army: Do you have a pulse and a service obligation? Yes? Congratulations, you matched! It might not be where you wanted, but you got in!

Army: Do you have a pulse and a service obligation? Yes? Congratulations, you matched! It might not be where you wanted, but you got in!

Ditto for Navy (at least for internship, there's around a 50% straight through rate for IM these days)