How hard is it to get allergy/immunology fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tenesmus83

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in this field. What criteria do they look and how is the lifestyle afterwards.

Members don't see this ad.

You will need to finish either a residency in Internal Medicine or Pediatrics before applying. The practice covers all ages and working in a HMO, lifestyle is excellent: calls are rare, hours basically 9 to 5 with one short evening clinic now to 7, otherwise evenings and weekends off. Immunology is a fascinating science.

I'm interested in this field. What criteria do they look and how is the lifestyle afterwards.

Lifestyle?

This is the derm of IM / peds subspecialties.

Every clinic is filled with several months waiting. Very compliant and appreciative patients.
You can actually MAKE people BETTER! (Unlike most subspecialties.)

Your patients love you and all AI docs are generally happy and well compensated and can set their hours since the demand is so high.:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)

Work hard in medical school and residency. Do some rotations to see what the lifestyle is and see if the field fits with your personality.

The only thing that scares me about allergy is the current job market and (as Extract explained) the advent of SLIT.

The only thing that scares me about allergy is the current job market and (as Extract explained) the advent of SLIT.

I hope I didn't confuse you about my views on SLIT. I know allergists who offer both SLIT and SCIT and they are telling me that believe it or not, more people prefer SCIT. There are individuals who start SLIT, don't get better and go on to SLIT. Retrospective studies show that SCIT is superior to SLIT in terms of symptomatic improvement in patients with allergic asthma and rhinitis.

Again for now SCIT is still the gold standard for disease modifying treatment. As for the aforementioned allergists who offer both forms, they have significantly increased their clinic revenue.