How hard is it to get into a DO school? Also, how hard is it for DO's to get into ophthalmology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

techiewizz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For someone with a 3.63 GPA, how likely is DO school acceptance, assuming ECs are average? ( average clinical volunteering, shadowing, very little research, one leadership activity, some part time work).

Also, I am interested in ophthalmology. How hard is it for DOs to get into ophtho?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
For someone with a 3.63 GPA, how likely is DO school acceptance, assuming ECs are average? ( average clinical volunteering, shadowing, very little research, one leadership activity, some part time work).

Also, I am interested in ophthalmology. How hard is it for DOs to get into ophtho?
22 MCAT plus broad application should get you at least 1 acceptance.

25 MCAT and you will have interviews coming out of your ears.

Make that 22 MCAT plus broad application should get you at least 1 interview. It's on you at that point

Concur with this
25 MCAT and you will have interviews coming out of your ears

~28+ MCAT and you will have interviews everywhere.

Opthalomology is hard, but I'll give an n=1 that one of my grads got into such a residency.

Sorry, but 22 is way too low. I would say 24 is the bare minimum to get an acceptance even with an above average gpa. I realize there are people who got in with lower mcat, but those are few and we can't draw solid conclusions based on a handful of people who got in with ridiculously low stats, just like we can't say 3.4/28 is not good enough for the more established schools just because some people with such numbers didn't get interviews.

Reactions: 4 users

I would say 23 is when you really start having a true shot at the lower end schools. I would agree with your assessment of 25 for newer/less mcat driven schools, but the better schools could go either way. With a 27+ OP would theoretically be able to get an interview invite from any COM.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry, but 22 is way too low. I would say 24 is the bare minimum to get an acceptance even with an above average gpa. I realize there are people who got in with lower mcat, but those are few and we can't draw solid conclusions based on a handful of people who got in with ridiculously low stats, just like we can't say 3.4/28 is not good enough for the more established schools just because some people with such numbers didn't get interviews.
N=2, but hvilledoc and Indianarn got 5 and 4 ii's with 3.7/22 and 3.3/22, respectively.

I would say 23 is when you really start having a true shot at the lower end schools. I would agree with your assessment of 25 for newer/less mcat driven schools, but the better schools could go either way. With a 27+ OP would theoretically be able to get an interview invite from any COM.
really? wow thats amazing. That sure is a whole lot better than MD schools. Dude they need like a 30+ and you might not even get an interview D:

The DO philosophy sounds cool though, but I am also really interested in ophtho.

really? wow thats amazing. That sure is a whole lot better than MD schools. Dude they need like a 30+ and you might not even get an interview D:

The DO philosophy sounds cool though, but I am also really interested in ophtho.
It is easier to get into some of the colleges, but you're still limited by the COMLEX/USMLE. If you don't score high enough, kiss Ophthalmology good bye. Yes, you may think you can compete with other mid-20 MCAT students, but still 20% of DO students had a 30+ and they might just be your competition into the specialty of choice. If you want to be an Ophthalmologist, you can do it as a DO, but it won't be easy.

It is easier to get into some of the colleges, but you're still limited by the COMLEX/USMLE. If you don't score high enough, kiss Ophthalmology good bye. Yes, you may think you can compete with other mid-20 MCAT students, but still 20% of DO students had a 30+ and they might just be your competition into the specialty of choice. If you want to be an Ophthalmologist, you can do it as a DO, but it won't be easy.
I'll study extra hard in medical school. Which test is easier, USMLE or COMPLEX?

N=2, but hvilledoc and Indianarn got 5 and 4 ii's with 3.7/22 and 3.3/22, respectively.

Again, cGPA 3.65, sGPS 3.75, 29O MCAT, 1 interview, 1 acceptance.

What you do (setting the bar low for future applicants) is not only a massive waste of your time, but could also jeopardize their chances in the future, wasting their time and money. It's not constructive, and is frankly getting really annoying.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know 3 ppl who got into MD schools with a 26.....guys u only need a 26 to get into MD schools!!!! :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 users

What you do (setting the bar low for future applicants) is not only a massive waste of your time, but could also jeopardize their chances in the future, wasting their time and money. It's not constructive, and is frankly getting really annoying.
Then please click ignore button. You're not going to change my mind. I have PORED through these forums + MDapps. I have gathered more data points in my head than you can imagine. I do not make any of my statements on baseless whims. Thank you.

Pretty much same stats here and I feel I was lucky to get a couple acceptances at the places I did. Bottom line: if you don't want to apply to new schools (which you should probably avoid) the average mcat is going to range from 27-30 for most schools. Having below average numbers does NOT guarantee you an acceptance. Even with good numbers, I got silent rejections from schools with low averages.. It's a crapshoot just like MD admissions.

I see people pointing out that "so-and-so got 5 acceptances with a 3.0/22" but that's not realistic in any way and I can pretty much guarantee that a URM got into Harvard with similar numbers. Doesn't mean you will. You also don't know what kind of ECs these random internet strangers had and what their stories were like. Maybe they were non-trad, started a business, had a PhD and their parents were on the committee..

Reactions: 3 users
Then please click ignore button. You're not going to change my mind. I have PORED through these forums + MDapps. I have gathered more data points in my head than you can imagine. I do not make any of my statements on baseless whims. Thank you.

I didn't know there was one. BRB going to find it.

h45FA2E68

I'll thrown in my $0.02 and not trying to defend user3 in here. But was he was simply saying with 22 OP will have a shot, albeit not a good one.... I would say that OP will have a good shot with 23-24...I am assuming that OP will apply to low tier schools if MCAT is 22-24... And remember next cycle schools like VCOM-Auburn will likely accept another 100+ students and other schools might expand their class size.

22 MCAT? Let's be realistic.

22 MCAT will get you an interview or two if you're lucky. I don't think anyone will accept you though with such poor stats. 25 MCAT should get you an acceptance if you apply broadly. I think the consensus is an MCAT of 27+ and a GPA of 3.5+ will let you be competitive for established DO schools.

Pretty much same stats here and I feel I was lucky to get a couple acceptances at the places I did. Bottom line: if you don't want to apply to new schools (which you should probably avoid) the average mcat is going to range from 27-30 for most schools. Having below average numbers does NOT guarantee you an acceptance. Even with good numbers, I got silent rejections from schools with low averages.. It's a crapshoot just like MD admissions.

I see people pointing out that "so-and-so got 5 acceptances with a 3.0/22" but that's not realistic in any way and I can pretty much guarantee that a URM got into Harvard with similar numbers. Doesn't mean you will. You also don't know what kind of ECs these random internet strangers had and what their stories were like. Maybe they were non-trad, started a business, had a PhD and their parents were on the committee..
I agree with you on that particular comment. No one knows with soecific details the ECs that an applicant has. There are schools that look beyond just scores and gpa, but also look at what has the applicant done throughout the years that demonstrate his/ her commitment and dedication to the profession as well as developing a character that will buil a great physician in the near future. (Just a thought)... ;)

I'll study extra hard in medical school. Which test is easier, USMLE or COMPLEX?
COMLEX, not complex. You are required to take COMLEX 1 as an Osteopathic student. USMLE is if you want to be competitive in allopathic residencies. No test is "easier." They are both exams for the same medical license rights.

I agree with you on that particular comment. No one knows with soecific details the ECs that an applicant has. There are schools that look beyond just scores and gpa, but also look at what has the applicant done throughout the years that demonstrate his/ her commitment and dedication to the profession as well as developing a character that will buil a great physician in the near future. (Just a thought)... ;)

problem is, everyone knows that ECs, research (unless if you have 1st or 2nd authored publications), volunteering...etc is totally BS-able and can be totally fabricated. same with essays and interview responses.

Ophtho is going to be pretty difficult.

problem is, everyone knows that ECs, research (unless if you have 1st or 2nd authored publications), volunteering...etc is totally BS-able and can be totally fabricated. same with essays and interview responses.
Really! Who would take the chance fabricating his/her ECs? I agree with the interview though...

what u need to do is read DO forum and especially underdog thread. there is plenty of so-so stat ppl who got accepted to medical schools. do your homework and ask. by the way, if you think you got confused by these many different responses, go listen whos the most credential one ( and i wont say his/her nick, its your homework to figure out)

ophthalmology is odd.

you need great stats to get an ophtho residency, and at the same time, there have been DOs who have matched into top-notch ophtho programs.

Whether AdComs see ECs the way you do (at MD or DO schools) is debatable, though.

Whether AdComs see ECs the way you do (at MD or DO schools) is debatable, though.

This debate again?

Getting accepted at ONE DO school is not a prestigious feat to the average premed. If someone could apply to every single DO school with a 3.0 and a 23 MCAT, chances are pretty high they would get into the new schools like LarkinCOM or something of the sort coming up soon.

You could apply to every MD school in the nation with a 3.1 and a 24 on the MCAT and I'd wager you probably wouldn't get in anywhere unless you were URM for Meharry then you'd maybe have a chance.

This debate again?

Getting accepted at ONE DO school is not a prestigious feat to the average premed. If someone could apply to every single DO school with a 3.0 and a 23 MCAT, chances are pretty high they would get into the new schools like LarkinCOM or something of the sort coming up soon.

You could apply to every MD school in the nation with a 3.1 and a 24 on the MCAT and I'd wager you probably wouldn't get in anywhere unless you were URM for Meharry then you'd maybe have a chance.
Right? I keep getting baited into responding.

Last edited:
I do see what you mean. But i think that every person who is applying to med school has the common sense to NOT
fabricate those things. Its in the persons best interest to be truthful, especially with ECs. (The interview, i agree with you)..

I don't understand why you get so much crap. I like your brand of optimism in these forums. Too many Debbie Downers on SDN.

Sent from my iPad using SDN Mobile

This debate again?

Of course it is prestigious to get into any medical school, DO or MD. If you look here at the MD stats of accepted white students: https://www.aamc.org/download/321518/data/2012factstable25-4.pdf you will find 108 people that made it with 3.1/24 and several more with lower GPA/MCAT combos. Applying to "all schools" is simply a ridiculous standard. If you look at the DO standards here: http://www.aacom.org/data/applicantsmatriculants/Documents/2013-Applicant-Matriculant-Report.pdf you will find several thousands of students that don't make it into any DO program. Look at this: http://www.aacom.org/data/applicantsmatriculants/Documents/2013 Designations.pdf you will find here that on average schools get 3k to 4k applicants. They probably accept around 500 (or less) to make a class of around 150-200. The fact that you see more people here with lower stats pointing to getting in is because we're not Pre-Allo that will laugh at you and tell you everything is impossible unless you have a 3.8/33. Also, on average, it seems most underdogs here have gone out of their way to pump all kinds of EC and recent coursework to prove their worth. Seriously, if you have not seen the data, it is better you don't comment. If you've seen it and insist on your point, you're just trolling. Getting into medical school is tough **** and hundreds of Caribbean students and (some) Allied Health who are "average" can let you know that.

This debate again?

You're right.. LarkinCOM can suck it. Do you value a Harvard med acceptance the same as a state school acceptance? No. Same thing goes for DO schools, there are the top tier ones like CCOM, NYCOM, DMU that are great and then there are the bs schools like Larkin

Last edited:
Getting accepted at ONE DO school is not a prestigious feat to the average premed.

Are you serious? ?

Way to totally downplay people's accomplishments.

Reactions: 2 users
Are you serious? ?

Way to totally downplay people's accomplishments.
I think he just meant that in the eyes of the average premed, it is not seen as a big deal.

There's a smart way to go about medical school admissions, then there's the "fire all cannons because I have the money" way. Getting into medical school, however you go about doing it, is quite an accomplishment. Look what it took to even get to that point.

Reactions: 2 users
My cycle is over and I spent about $3000 when all is said and done. I have decent stats, and I wouldn't do it again unless I had at least a 3.4/3.4/25. Sure, 22 mcat people squeeze in, but look at the averages. If I got into zero schools this cycle I'd be reluctant to take out another loan for next year's app cycle. And while we're on the topic of unicorns, some dude got into UF without an mcat score.

I think he just meant that in the eyes of the average premed, it is not seen as a big deal.

I don't care.
He sounds like a jerk. As someone who it took 2 cycles to get into one measly DO school it feels like a slap in the face.

Reactions: 9 users
Getting into medical school, however you go about doing it, is quite an accomplishment. Look what it took to even get to that point.
even for a 3.3/23 that gets into LUCOM or LMU? you have to admit, the presence of so many new schools greatly lowers the acceptance threshold for DO.

even for a 3.3/23 that gets into LUCOM or LMU? you have to admit, the presence of so many new schools greatly lowers the acceptance threshold for DO.
Well, it's on them to accomplish more as they decided to take on the challenge of graduate medical education.

Plenty of people give up freshman year of college, sophomore year, and so on... Some give up after not getting in anywhere the first time. Some don't look at DO at all, it's "all or none MD," then proceed to give up after not getting into one of those MD schools.

Just because the "acceptance threshold" may be lowered does not mean little to nothing has been accomplished. If they're proud of what they've done, who cares? Let them be.

Sometimes, the numbers don't paint the whole picture anyway, but obviously that's a case by case basis. Besides, plenty of people once in medical school fail one course or another and are forced to remediate.

At the end of the day, like I said, it is on them, as it is on us, to finish what we decided to start.

I don't care.
He sounds like a jerk. As someone who it took 2 cycles to get into one measly DO school it feels like a slap in the face.

What were you doing while other premeds were getting A's in their classes?

What were you doing while other premeds were getting A's in their classes?

Wow, you not only sound like a dick, you totally are one. Congrats, and good luck with your bedside manner, you ass.

Wow, you not only sound like a dick, you totally are one. Congrats, and good luck with your bedside manner, you ass.

I heard Rocky Vista is still for-profit. Isn't that aspect sort of like vocational school?