how hard is it to get into DO schools? I have low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medinterest

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a GPA of 3.2 and have not taken mcat yet how hard is it to get into DO? should I do special masters program first?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a GPA of 3.2 and have not taken mcat yet how hard is it to get into DO? should I do special masters program first?

A 24 will get you in if you apply broadly and early

Try a 28+ if you don't want to potentially waste a lot of money

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
is there any way I can retake classes with C to boost GPA

so 28 plus is good for california too for DO
A 24 should get you into a school like LMU ACOM or LUCOM, but if you want to be competitive for most schools I would shoot for 30+.

A 24 will get you in if you apply broadly and early
3.2/24 while it may get you in somewhere, probably isn't going to be all that competitive.

I agree, more on the order of 27 will be competitive.

Reactions: 2 users
is there any way I can retake classes with C to boost GPA
Retakes 4-5 classes maybe at a CC that have the same # of credit (or higher). That will bring up your GPA to 3.4+ if you get As on them. 25+ MCAT will get you somewhere with your current GPA.

A 24 should get you into a school like LMU ACOM or LUCOM, but if you want to be competitive for most schools I would shoot for 30+.
Not should. Might.

Raise the gpa. DO isn't the cakewalk people on here allude to, and the 3.1/23's that matriculate are the exception and not the rule. Good luck.

Reactions: 5 users
I have a lot of Cs but i haven't failed any classes so will I be able to retake the classes again? is that possible?

Not should. Might.

Raise the gpa. DO isn't the cakewalk people on here allude to, and the 3.1/23's that matriculate are the exception and not the rule. Good luck.
Unfortunately they are the exception--because the bulk of lower stat applicants fail to apply broadly, early, and to the right schools.

3.2/3.2/24 + early, broad application = solid chance of acceptance

Someone with 3.3/22 for example, has received interviews from WVSOM and LUCOM. They've been accepted to WVSOM so far

I have a lot of Cs but i haven't failed any classes so will I be able to retake the classes again? is that possible?
If your University allows that. Some schools don't if you already passed the class, but you can always retake at a school nearby or a CC. The DO grade replacement have helped many. Take advantage of it. Your GPA is not atrocious for DO, but it could be better.

Do your research. You can retake classes at another institution if yours has a limit on what grade attained and retake eligibility. You won't be competitive with a 3.2 24, but likely would get in somewhere if the test of your application is up to snuff. Apply early and broadly. Also maybe reconsider if you are applying DO because you want to be a DO or because you just want to be a doctor. You will get asked about the osteopathic philosophy and why you specifically want to be an osteopathic physician.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Retakes 4-5 classes maybe at a CC that have the same # of credit (or higher). That will bring up your GPA to 3.4+ if you get As on them. 25+ MCAT will get you somewhere with your current GPA.

Do your research. You can retake classes at another institution if yours has a limit on what grade attained and retake eligibility. You won't be competitive with a 3.2 24, but likely would get in somewhere if the test of your application is up to snuff. Apply early and broadly. Also maybe reconsider if you are applying DO because you want to be a DO or because you just want to be a doctor. You will get asked about the osteopathic philosophy and why you specifically want to be an osteopathic physician.

Thank You :D

If your University allows that. Some schools don't if you already passed the class, but you can always retake at a school nearby or a CC. The DO grade replacement have helped many. Take advantage of it. Your GPA is not atrocious for DO, but it could be better.

I graduated from UCLA so is it ok to retake classes at UCD or UCB, do i have to make sure with UCLA first

I graduated from UCLA so is it ok to retake classes at UCD or UCB, do i have to make sure with UCLA first
You should check with UCLA first, and if not possible, then retake at UCD or UCB. Make sure the classes have the same # of credits or higher. Good Luck...

Unfortunately they are the exception--because the bulk of lower stat applicants fail to apply broadly, early, and to the right schools.

Someone with 3.3/22 for example, has received interviews from WVSOM and LUCOM. They've been accepted to WVSOM so far

You tend to be a very optimistic poster on SDN but when would you say is the end of the "early window" of applying time wise?

If you have a 3.2/24 you are by far one of those "lower stat applicants"...

That may give you a shot at the newest schools, but if you're serious you want to shoot for at least 28, which is around the average for the well-established schools. I only got interviews from half of the schools I applied to with a 3.7/29, and my stats were well above average for every school I applied to.

Reactions: 1 users
You tend to be a very optimistic poster on SDN but when would you say is the end of the "early window" of applying time wise?

If you have stats like that and expect to get in without something significant that sets you apart, you better be sending your app in the day it opens. Even then, the chances aren't amazing.

You are way too optimistic IMO. 3.2/24 is swimming against the current and I doubt someone's acceptance will depend all on app logistics (early/broadly,etc). The ones that do get in with those stats prob did apply early,etc AND have other compelling stories. they must be extraordinary in some way for a particular school.

3.3 29 here.. 5 interviews so far, 2 newer schools 2 medium 1 older. I got terrific ECs too, so yeah.. get a high MCAT

LMU has an average MCAT of 26 and it's only going to get higher. I have a 3.6/27 and LMU hasn't even responded to me yet. I've been complete for almost 3 months.

Now you're left with 2 schools out of 30+ that MIGHT find a 24 competitive.

To be competitive these days you want a 27-29. A 30+ would allow you to go where ever you want.

You are way too optimistic IMO. 3.2/24 is swimming against the current and I doubt someone's acceptance will depend all on app logistics (early/broadly,etc). The ones that do get in with those stats prob did apply early,etc AND have other compelling stories. they must be extraordinary in some way for a particular school.
Not true. There is a wide spectrum of competitiveness of DO schools. The lowest tier tend to have an "acceptable" range down to around 3.0/3.0/24, often lower (LUCOM, for example will probably accept a good chunk of people with even less than this).

But I'll put my money where my mouth is. Find me someone with 3.00+/3.00+/24 that applied broadly and early but failed to get in.

LMU has an average MCAT of 26 and it's only going to get higher. I have a 3.6/27 and LMU hasn't even responded to me yet. I've been complete for almost 3 months.

Now you're left with 2 schools out of 30+ that MIGHT find a 24 competitive.

To be competitive these days you want a 27-29. A 30+ would allow you to go where ever you want.
Call or email LMU and ask for a status check. Many people have gotten ii's by doing this

A friend of mine got in with a 2.9 cgpa/3.0sgpa. He had a 35 MCAT. So all in all, just go destroy the MCAT and see where you stand after. And a 3.2 gpa for a DO applicant isn't that low. I've seen many kids get in within the 3.0-3.5 range.

Not true. There is a wide spectrum of competitiveness of DO schools. The lowest tier tend to have an "acceptable" range down to around 3.0/3.0/24, often lower (LUCOM, for example will probably accept a good chunk of people with even less than this).

But I'll put my money where my mouth is. Find me someone with 3.00+/3.00+/24 that applied broadly and early but failed to get in.
I know of two, personally. My best friends fiancé applied to all but two DO schools with a 3.1/3.1/24 and has received zero interview invites. And I doubt he gets any, unfortunately. I have 7 ii so far with upper-average stats, and the vast majority of applicants I've met on the interview trail have been very impressive individuals with significantly better stats than me.

Now that I've been through a cycle, I would absolutely recommend that an applicant should have a gpa no lower than 3.4 and at least a 26. Lower than that and your numbers become somewhat of a liability.

Of course, many people get in with lesser numbers. I've spent thousands this application cycle, and so would someone with sub par stats having to apply "broadly". It becomes incredibly risky. But with a 3.4 and 26 I can almost guarantee an acceptance if you're a well rounded person.

Call or email LMU and ask for a status check. Many people have gotten ii's by doing this
I would imagine the decision to interview at LMU is made before the phone call. They dont interview all that many people. With that said they have been advising people to check back mid January for status updates given the holidays.

LizzyM of 60+ gives a decent shot at for IIs at some schools with no gpa under a 3.0 or MCAT under a 25 with 7+ on each section (3.0/30, 3.3/27, 3.5/25) bump this to a 3.5+/28+ to be competitive at all osteo schools assuming avg ECs

I graduated from UCLA, myself; I'm now attending graduate school at UCD. I looked into course repeats and transferability between the two schools, and retakes of UCLA coursework at UCD/UCB are not possible for AACOMAS. The course descriptions (and course names) do not match at these schools, so repeats of even 90%+ similar courses will not count as de facto course repeats. Feel free to check with AACOM, yourself.

You should know that the UCLA extension in downtown Westwood is where you have to go for things like this.

I'm hoping that you weren't one of the students that sat in the back of the class (when you bothered to show up), complained about how competitive it was all the time, etc etc. I knew a lot of people like that. Your writing style and laziness/lack of knowledge about basic procedures like this tells me that you were.

Last edited:
3.3/3.5/28 was good enough for me to get 7 interviews (including both CA DO schools). if you want to stay in California, sorry to say you gotta really boost up your scores and not be satisfied with anything less than a 27 on your MCAT, or have one hell of an interesting story along with a demonstrated passion to be a DO in order to make you stand out. CA med schools (DO or MD) are incredibly competitive
so 28 plus is good for california too for DO

I applied broadly last cycle with a 3.3c 3.1s and 24 (25 after October). Everything was complete by October, which isn't super early but not necessarily late. No acceptances.

I'm not the only one. You don't seem to understand a sample bias. Most people who fail to get in don't post about it online and SDN in general tends to have much more competitive students in general. Goro can attest to the fact that the a significant number actual applicants have 3.0/3.0/24 and lower.

Ok... OP has a 3.2 GPA now... Would people agree that OP would most likely got in somewhere with a 25 MCAT if apply early to schools like ACOM, LMU, LUCOM, PCOM-GA, SOMA, CUSOM, WVSOM, WCUCOM, KYCOM? I happen to think OP would.....

Ok... OP has a 3.2 GPA now... Would people agree that OP would most likely got in somewhere with a 25 MCAT if apply early to schools like ACOM, LMU, LUCOM, PCOM-GA, SOMA, CUSOM, WVSOM, WCUCOM, KYCOM? I happen to think OP would.....
possible...assuming OP has good extra curriculars, demonstrates knowledge and passion for osteopathic medicine, has good letters of rec, and interviews well. if any of those pieces are glaringly missing, then i wouldn't bet on he/she getting in anywhere. it's amazing how much of a barrier the interview can be for some applicants. some people just don't have the charm or charisma when the red light is on

People on this forum should be more mindful about who they encourage to pursue careers in medicine, IMO.

I graduated from UCLA, myself; I'm now attending graduate school at UCD. I looked into course repeats and transferability between the two schools, and retakes of UCLA coursework at UCD/UCB are not possible for AACOMAS. The course descriptions (and course names) do not match at these schools, so repeats of even 90%+ similar courses will not count as de facto course repeats. Feel free to check with AACOM, yourself.

You should know that the UCLA extension in downtown Westwood is where you have to go for things like this.

I'm hoping that you weren't one of the students that sat in the back of the class (when you bothered to show up), complained about how competitive it was all the time, etc etc. I knew a lot of people like that. Your writing style and laziness/lack of knowledge about basic procedures like this tells me that you were.

Been snooping around this thread. Hate to break it to you, but these people are pretty common in medical school, at least in DO schools, not sure about MD. Half of the time people are complaining about how hard everything is, but from what people say that is just medical school. It's the people that shut their traps and actually spend more time studying than complaining that get the most out of their DO degree.

I know of two, personally. My best friends fiancé applied to all but two DO schools with a 3.1/3.1/24 and has received zero interview invites. And I doubt he gets any, unfortunately. I have 7 ii so far with upper-average stats, and the vast majority of applicants I've met on the interview trail have been very impressive individuals with significantly better stats than me.

Now that I've been through a cycle, I would absolutely recommend that an applicant should have a gpa no lower than 3.4 and at least a 26. Lower than that and your numbers become somewhat of a liability.

Of course, many people get in with lesser numbers. I've spent thousands this application cycle, and so would someone with sub par stats having to apply "broadly". It becomes incredibly risky. But with a 3.4 and 26 I can almost guarantee an acceptance if you're a well rounded person.
Did that person apply to LUCOM? I would imagine they have a good chance there

As for the main topic of this thread, I happen to think the difficulty of getting into a DO school is about the same as getting into an average PhD program or an average to upper Dental School/Pharm School. I know you guys may disagree, but take a step back for a second and think about it. It isn't just a fractions game with 5000 applicants --> 600 interviews --> 400 acceptances. First off, a LOT of people turn down interviews and a LOT of people don't fill out the secondary. You'd be surprised how many random kids just throw out their AACOMAS app. Second, a 25 on the MCAT is around 50 percentile, meaning the average kid who even sits down to take the MCAT has a good chance at getting into DO programs. No one can say for sure, but I would like to think getting a 50 percentile on the MCAT is not much more difficult than getting 75 percentile on say the GRE or the DAT. It couldn't be that much of a discrepancy and I know premeds on here seem to advocate that the MCAT is the hardest professional school entrance exam out there.

I don't even have to go there with average GPAs, the numbers are all out there PLUS, DO's calculate retakes, which makes it even EASIER for admittance. I firmly believe ANYONE can get into a DO school if they really put in the time and effort. I cannot say the same about MD schools.

Lol @ this...what is the relevance of this thread, period? A random statistical analysis of DO school versus pharm/dental school...wow. What's the difference from DO to MD school? The best doctor in our city is a DO. You have entirely too much time on your hands champ. @^^^^^^^^

Last edited:
FWIW, dreamcatcher got into LMU with 3.0 sgpa and 24 mcat

2 ppl won the mega million jackpot......does that mean I have a good shot at winning next time?

possible...assuming OP has good extra curriculars, demonstrates knowledge and passion for osteopathic medicine, has good letters of rec, and interviews well. if any of those pieces are glaringly missing, then i wouldn't bet on he/she getting in anywhere. it's amazing how much of a barrier the interview can be for some applicants. some people just don't have the charm or charisma when the red light is on
I beg to differ... The application has to be average IMO.

I beg to differ... The application has to be average IMO.
well that's, like, your opinion man...

I will guarantee you that someone with a 3.2 and a 25 does not have a guarantee in anywhere. they have a possibility of securing an interview at a newer school...but that means nothing if the applicant is terrible at interviewing (which is already bad news if he/she is going in as an underdog). not to mention, if they have no clinical experience, or experience volunteering in the field, or have no clue about what osteopathic doctors do, then with those stats they will NOT get far. Ask Goro, by all means. it's an application killer.
If they go in to an interview and it shows that the applicant has no idea about what osteopathic medicine is, but that they are there only because they didn't have the stats to go for MD schools, then they will NOT get beyond that. show me your one or two exceptions, and I'll show you the thousands that are the rule

No one can say for sure, but I want 50 pairs MCAT percentile much more difficult than the 75th percentile on to say, GRE or data.
kc0X8t

As for the main topic of this thread, I happen to think the difficulty of getting into a DO school is about the same as getting into an average PhD program or an average to upper Dental School/Pharm School. I know you guys may disagree, but take a step back for a second and think about it. It isn't just a fractions game with 5000 applicants --> 600 interviews --> 400 acceptances. First off, a LOT of people turn down interviews and a LOT of people don't fill out the secondary. You'd be surprised how many random kids just throw out their AACOMAS app. Second, a 25 on the MCAT is around 50 percentile, meaning the average kid who even sits down to take the MCAT has a good chance at getting into DO programs. No one can say for sure, but I would like to think getting a 50 percentile on the MCAT is not much more difficult than getting 75 percentile on say the GRE or the DAT. It couldn't be that much of a discrepancy and I know premeds on here seem to advocate that the MCAT is the hardest professional school entrance exam out there.

I don't even have to go there with average GPAs, the numbers are all out there PLUS, DO's calculate retakes, which makes it even EASIER for admittance. I firmly believe ANYONE can get into a DO school if they really put in the time and effort. I cannot say the same about MD schools.
Regarding DO and average PhD program entrance, IMO I don't think it's the same difficulty at all. DO being more time consuming, and more difficult.
In my experience, 50 percentile MCAT is more difficult that 75% GRE. Done both. Haven't done DAT, but from an acquaintance that teaches both MCAT and DAT at a review company, the MCAT is considerably more difficult.
I do agree anyone with a good dose of ambition,perseverance and average brain-power can get in. I feel the same for MD, though it may take longer and an extra dose of perseverance. I mean, is not like MD all of a sudden is unattainable by a regular mortal.

Oh my god who the hell cares?
Looking back, with 3.6+ and 25 do you really feel like you were an UD? I mean, you scored 9 interviews and got into a solid school