how hard is it to get into purdue's pre-pharm program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hilorlrav928

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey...im new to the forum thinking that i'll get answers to my questions...:)

im in high school and im planning on applying to purdue's pre pharm program. thats the main school im going for. i am an indiana resident. could u guys tell me what the requirements r in order to get into purdue's pre pharm? how hard is it? what do they look for? whats the average minimum gpa requirement unweighted? what classes do they look at? whats the minimum sat score they'll accept? what classes should i be taking ap wise? how well should i do in them? the first is that i want to get an interview...and then if i do get past he application part..ill work ont eh interview part...i tried asking the admissions department all the these questions and they didnt quite answer them...they were kinda bitchy about it too...so yeah idk...i figure that ill get more answers outta u guys since u have been through it...please help! thanks...:)

Members don't see this ad.

ive checked that site like a million times...no answer...

Members don't see this ad :)
Not really?

I mean its been 5 years since I was accepted into it..but if i remember right, more of the weedout process happens once you are there. I know the gen chem is hell and I remember something about the gpa you had to keep to become a Pharm.D student was pretty high.

then again its been awhile..things could've changed.

of u guys that got interviews there...what was ur gpa and sat score? what else did u have on there? if u can remember...

To become a pharmacist you need:

1) Pre-pharmacy:
+No requirement to get in
+Take at least 60 credits of science and social science classes such as anatomy, chemistry, physic, so on... Talk to your college advisor for the classes you need.
+ Take Pharmacy College Admission Test ( Pcat). This test includes English, Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Reading Comprehension, writing.
+ Other activities, volunteer in pharmacy or hospital.
+2 or 3 letter of recommendations.

2) Apply to pharmacy school:
+Through Pharmcas. Check out thier website www.pharmcas.com
+Have an interview with the school after summiting your application through pharmcas.
+ Wait for thier decision.

Remember you do not need bachelor to get in. It is true at this moment. I do not know by the time that you apply they can change to bachelor requirement.

i have to take the PCAT in order to get into pre pharm?.....

oh ok thank godd...haha scared me for a sec there....like i know taht purdues pre pharm is very comptetive...i just really wanna get in...if only i knew what purdue was looking for on the application...and what kinda answers do they want from interviews...im just so worried...

Pre-pharmacy will take you 2 to 3 years to complete, so do not worry you still have plenty of time to learn about interview.

Getting into pharmacy is hard, and you can only succeed if you are totally determined to have this career as your ultimate one.

Pcat can be the most difficult test for pharmacy career that turns many people down. Make sure you learn the materials well before you take it. You can take it as many times as you want. School will look at the highest one. However, it will not look good if you fail many.

i appreciate u guys telling me about pharmacy school...but i just wanna take one step at a time...i want to get into pre pharm first...at purdue...then go from there....i just need to know the requirements....thats all...ive called them..they didnt give a good answer, i checked their website..couldnt find anything on pre pharm...it was very vague...

oh ok thank godd...haha scared me for a sec there....like i know taht purdues pre pharm is very comptetive...i just really wanna get in...if only i knew what purdue was looking for on the application...and what kinda answers do they want from interviews...im just so worried...

I applied for (and was accepted to) Purdue's pre-pharmacy major in 2006. I ended up not going to Purdue because it is out of state for me, but they do have a very respectable program. From what I can remember, I never had to do an interview in order to get accepted. You just apply to Purdue's undergraduate program and list pre-pharmacy as the major that you are interested in pursuing. I did make a campus visit and met with one of the pre-pharmacy advisors. I would definitely recommend doing that because they are able to judge how well you would do in their program, based on your high school performance, extracurricular activities you are involved in, and any pharmacy experience you may have already - also they will be able to assess your personality early on as well.

Long story short, unless things have changed, which it appears that they haven't because I just looked at Purdue's prepharm page to see if the requirements were different, I don't think you have to interview for Purdue's prepharm program. Just apply to the major and hope you get in. However, if you don't get into the prepharm program, you can still apply to pharmacy school so don't get too discouraged if you do not get in.

PM me if you have any more specific questions. Good luck! :)

Pcat can be the most difficult test for pharmacy career that turns many people down. Make sure you learn the materials well before you take it. You can take it as many times as you want. School will look at the highest one. However, it will not look good if you fail many.

Or just plan on a school in California and give the PCAT digit 3.

Well, since you've called and checked their website, I would recommend that you visit Purdue sometime. I don't know how feasible it would be for you, but since you live in Indiana it will be easier than if you lived out of state.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but for now, what you're worried about (or should be worrying about) is simply getting into Purdue for undergrad and declaring Pre-pharmacy as your major. In this case, you should be worried about undergraduate admissions. The website you should visit for that is
http://www.purdue.edu/Admissions/Undergrad/
For Purdue's admissions criteria, visit
http://www.purdue.edu/Admissions/Undergrad/Admissions_Criteria/Expectations_for_Fre.html
For the classes you should take while still in high school, visit
http://www.purdue.edu/Admissions/Un...isc._Admissions_cri/Subject_Matter_Expec.html

Information abounds on the Web. You just have to know what you're looking for.

yeah...i looked at the high school criteria...but like, u would think that their requirements would be more rigorous since its 2nd ranked...

"Pre-Pharm" is just a designated pathway for undergraduate students to follow. It is not a major, but most people going into pharmacy declare chemistry, biology, etc. as majors because most of the classes fulfill pre-pharmacy requriements.

So just like what Medicalcpa said, worry about being accepted to Purdue first. Then you can simply declare that you're in pre-pharmacy.

If, for whatever reason it is competitive to get into their pre-pharm program, another option that I'm sure could work is to apply and go as "undecided" and simply switch to a science major once you're in college. No matter what, you'll have to apply to Purdue's pharmacy school even if you're an undergrad student there.

"Approximately 325 students are accepted each year into the Pre-Pharmacy program. Approximately 900 applications are received from eligible candidates each year for the professional program. 160 are accepted into the professional (Pharm D) program and 25 into the BSPS program."

a friend sent me that....325 students?...ok now im really worried...my core gpa cummulative will be a 3.64 at the end of my junior year...idk if thats good enough...and im taking the SAT's in jan...

"Approximately 325 students are accepted each year into the Pre-Pharmacy program. Approximately 900 applications are received from eligible candidates each year for the professional program. 160 are accepted into the professional (Pharm D) program and 25 into the BSPS program."

a friend sent me that....325 students?...ok now im really worried...my core gpa cummulative will be a 3.64 at the end of my junior year...idk if thats good enough...and im taking the SAT's in jan...

Well that 900 is for the people applying for the pharmacy program, hence the professional, not the pre-pharm. I think your best bet is to get some info directly from the school. You should be apply to find an e-mail from for a pre-pharm advisor or at least an admissions advisor on the Purdue website.

I did my pre-pharmacy at Purdue, do not worry about getting into the 'pre-pharmacy major'. Many were not accepted to it simply because they applied late or there wasn't space. That does not stop you though, in my class alone about 200 people codo'ed in from other majors. You can still take all of the pre-pharmacy classes if your declared major is say biology, the only set back is your advisor will not be in the college of pharmacy. Thus, you are at a *slight* disadvantage because your advisor can help push for you to get into the professional program when you apply. But like I said there is nothing to stop people from codoing from other majors into the pre-pharmacy major once school actually starts.

I did my pre-pharmacy at Purdue, do not worry about getting into the 'pre-pharmacy major'. Many were not accepted to it simply because they applied late or there wasn't space. That does not stop you though, in my class alone about 200 people codo'ed in from other majors. You can still take all of the pre-pharmacy classes if your declared major is say biology, the only set back is your advisor will not be in the college of pharmacy. Thus, you are at a *slight* disadvantage because your advisor can help push for you to get into the professional program when you apply. But like I said there is nothing to stop people from codoing from other majors into the pre-pharmacy major once school actually starts.

When I did read this, I remembered how much they emphasized how important it was to apply early and send in your deposit because they do run true rolling admissions for undergrad. So that 900 vs 325 getting in number might be a little inflated by people sending it in late, etc.

ok so...what would u guys think is a good enough gpa to get into the pre pharm program at purdue? like the undergrad...not grad...cuz ill have a 3.65 by the end of this year...and i wanna know if thats good enough for me be in purdues undergrad pharm program...