How hard is it to get Ophtomology??

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by AverageMD, Jan 23, 2002.

1. AverageMD

AverageMD Junior Member

Hey guys, I'm a third year and new this board, I was just wondering from all of you experts :) How hard would it be for me to obtain an Ophto residency, I'm a US grad but probably at 50% of my class and average board scores....Is it even possible for me to get this residency? Or should i not even bother?? What about those obscure programs like Bronx-Lebanon??

Thanks everyone!!

P.S. is it possible for me to obtain a decent anesthiology residency with these average scores anywayz???

2. medstud721

medstud721 Member
    7+ Year Member

With that spelling, I doubt you scored anywhere near "average" on the boards, considering both ophthalmology and anaesthesiology were subjects covered on it!!

No, I think you're out for both fields.

3. ckent

ckent Membership Revoked
    Removed

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. 7ontheline

7ontheline Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Well, you'll certainly have a tough time getting into ophthalmology, although it won't be impossible. You'll have to get some research, work with some name faculty, and bust your butt though. Anaesthesiology is tougher this year than before, but it's still not really that hard to get into, I think. I'm sure I'll get flamed by some anaethesia guy trying to defend the honor of his specialty and the size of his ego, but that's my opinion. You could probably get a decent residency there, no problem. I agree though, learn to spell.

5. 7ontheline

7ontheline Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Oops, typo. And after I ripped a guy for spelling. Shows what I know.

6. 7ontheline

7ontheline Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hmm, actually it's anesthesia. . .forget everything I said about spelling, I'm a moron. It's still an easier field than many, I think though.

7. AverageMD

AverageMD Junior Member

LOL, thanks for the input fellas, I don't know how i ever got into med school with my crappy spelling skillz. Thank god for spell check, too bad I can't use that program on this forum. And to think that I used to be a star in da spelling Bee.....in middle school :p

8. Goofy

Goofy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. navs

navs Member
    10+ Year Member

As a future anesth. guy I'm not going to "defend my specialty" BUT...

Being an avg. canidate means u can probably wiggle into an avg. (maybe below avg.) anesth. program, but u never know considering how hot the field is right now and for the next couple yrs. An above avg. program is probably out, but u probably can swing an avg. program somewhere.

Just guessing.

Good luck

10. Mindy

Mindy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

anaesthesiology: This is the Anglican spelling.