How hard is it to get Ophtomology??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AverageMD

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a third year and new this board, I was just wondering from all of you experts :) How hard would it be for me to obtain an Ophto residency, I'm a US grad but probably at 50% of my class and average board scores....Is it even possible for me to get this residency? Or should i not even bother?? What about those obscure programs like Bronx-Lebanon??

Thanks everyone!!

P.S. is it possible for me to obtain a decent anesthiology residency with these average scores anywayz???

Members don't see this ad.

With that spelling, I doubt you scored anywhere near "average" on the boards, considering both ophthalmology and anaesthesiology were subjects covered on it!!

No, I think you're out for both fields.

Originally posted by medstud721:
•With that spelling, I doubt you scored anywhere near "average" on the boards, considering both ophthalmology and anaesthesiology were subjects covered on it!!

No, I think you're out for both fields.•••

I second that, I'm not a big stickler for spelling but you should at least know how to spell the fields that you are interested in ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, you'll certainly have a tough time getting into ophthalmology, although it won't be impossible. You'll have to get some research, work with some name faculty, and bust your butt though. Anaesthesiology is tougher this year than before, but it's still not really that hard to get into, I think. I'm sure I'll get flamed by some anaethesia guy trying to defend the honor of his specialty and the size of his ego, but that's my opinion. You could probably get a decent residency there, no problem. I agree though, learn to spell.

Oops, typo. And after I ripped a guy for spelling. Shows what I know.

Hmm, actually it's anesthesia. . .forget everything I said about spelling, I'm a *****. It's still an easier field than many, I think though.

LOL, thanks for the input fellas, I don't know how i ever got into med school with my crappy spelling skillz. Thank god for spell check, too bad I can't use that program on this forum. And to think that I used to be a star in da spelling Bee.....in middle school :p

Originally posted by AverageMD:
•LOL, thanks for the input fellas, I don't know how i ever got into med school with my crappy spelling skillz. Thank god for spell check, too bad I can't use that program on this forum. And to think that I used to be a star in da spelling Bee.....in middle school :p •••

AverageMD,

Here is a little hint. Type up your posts in Microsoft Word so you can spell check prior to posting. Than all you need to do is copy and paste your message to the reply box.

One other note, definitely learn how to spell the discipline you wish to enter. Attendings very often are insulted by applicants that cannot spell the name of the profession they wish to enter. It is enough to eliminate you from a rank list. It may sound silly, but the reaction your post elicited is not much different from how attendings might react. Best of luck.

As a future anesth. guy I'm not going to "defend my specialty" BUT...

Being an avg. canidate means u can probably wiggle into an avg. (maybe below avg.) anesth. program, but u never know considering how hot the field is right now and for the next couple yrs. An above avg. program is probably out, but u probably can swing an avg. program somewhere.

Just guessing.

Good luck

anaesthesiology: This is the Anglican spelling.