How hard is it to get residency matches as a DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vvm

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how hard it is to get residency matches to your top picks, coming from an osteopathic school. Does anybody have any experiences or classmates that had trouble? Or if you have good scores, the world is your oyster.

Members don't see this ad.

During my interview season it was obvious to me that osteopathic applicants, in general, needed to be a shade better (especially USMLE's) in order to be considered "equal" with allopathic candidates. In some instances, it wouldn't have mattered anyway. :( I applied for rads in NY and New England.

Do you best, apply widely, and good luck.

I agree with Pags. Make sure to take the USMLE (steps 1 and 2)in addition to the COMLEX. Many ACGME programs I applied to stated that they took COMLEX scores, but when I interviewed, it was obvious they would have prefered USMLE scores. And, like Pags stated, as an osteopathic student, you will have to shine a little brighter than the allopathic candidates for equal consideration. Also, much depends on both the programs you are looking at and which specialty you have chosen. Just remember, you don't have to go to a premiere progam to get a solid education.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!

Does anyone know when LECOM's 2002 whitecoat ceremony will be? My boyfriend is in the 2006 Class at LECOM, and I am at another school, and we are hoping that our ceremonies do not conflict. Or the start of classes/orientation?

Thanks! Mylaina

I agree with pags 100%....my advice, do a rotation at hospitals you are interested in. I did crappy on COMLEX, preety good on the USMLE's and matched in an allopathic surgery program. GOing to a hospital and showing them how good you are over a period of time is a much better strategey then just trying to impress over a several hour period in one day. During one interview , the program director told me flat out that on paper I was a little better than average, but that I shined during my roatation.
Good Luck and don't be afraid to apply to competitive programs. :clap:

Very Possible. You will almost always be the black sheep so work harder than the rest so you do not get skinned. Take USMLE and always be honest. The old addage hard work and honesty always pay off in the end! Good Luck!