• SDN Site Updates

    Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

  • How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

    In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.


Full Member
10+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2007
Southern California
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
My cousin wants to be a doctor and he graduates this year from high school. He is a Mexican National. So I guess he would have to go to school in Mexico, since he cant come to the US for he doesnt have a passport. So if he goes to Medschool in Mexico, which you can just start it right after high school. What are the chances of him getting to come to the states to practice, and what are the major obstacles.


Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I recently talked to a liver transplant surgeon about the options of medical school. While Im still hoping to get into an allopathic US medical school he suggested looking into the school in Guadalajara, select schools in the islands, and also osteopathic schools. It might be a little harder to get a residency going out of the country but definitely not impossible as some people on this board would have you believe. The best route for a top choice residency is to attend school in the US, whether it be osteopathic or allopathic it really doesnt make a difference as long as you do well on your boards tests. The "fifth pathway" as he referred to it can be had by going to school out of the country but you may end up having to take an extra year. Good luck to your cuz.


has an opinion
10+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Fifth pathway would be great, but you have to graduate from a U.S. college. www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/9306.html. There are only 3 US medical schools that provide a 5th pathway. Really I think it's for US kids who can't get into US med schools. But if your cousin can get a student visa, this is definitely the way to go.

The other way to work in the US is as an international medical graduate (IMG or FMG). www.ecfmg.org. You have to go to a recognized med school (there are 69 recognized in Mexico) and then you have to jump through paperwork hoops, take the US tests (USMLE) and get accepted to a residency. The residencies that accept IMGs are typically not in competitive specialties; family med in rural and underserved communities are the stereotypical IMG residencies.

Either way you have to deal with a J-1 student visa, getting a sponsor, etc.

Best of luck to you.
About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.