How hard is it to land a residency in general surgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Also, is it possible to do a couple years of general surgery training and then somehow switching to plastic or orthopedic surgery? I'm asking because I don't think I'll be able to get into ortho or plastics when it comes time to apply during my 4th year. I'm going to try my best at rocking Step I and doing great on clinical rotations, but my first year grades are far from phenomenal.

P.S. Does anyone know how hard it'd be to get a surgical residency at yale? Just wondering since its the closest hospital to my boyfriend's house...

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think gen surg is particularly competitive these days. Yes, you can do a plastics fellowship after gen surg residency (which is 5 years); don't think there's an ortho fellowship.

You know, I think it's good that you're lowering expectations for yourself--the majority of people will not rock step 1, will not hionor all their rotations, and will not be able to match into derm or integrated plastics, but you should remember that first year grades have next to no importance.

Also, is it possible to do a couple years of general surgery training and then somehow switching to plastic or orthopedic surgery? I'm asking because I don't think I'll be able to get into ortho or plastics when it comes time to apply during my 4th year. I'm going to try my best at rocking Step I and doing great on clinical rotations, but my first year grades are far from phenomenal.

P.S. Does anyone know how hard it'd be to get a surgical residency at yale? Just wondering since its the closest hospital to my boyfriend's house...

I dont know why but this made me lol

Members don't see this ad :)

One thing is for sure: You have your priorities in order.

However, before choosing a career and aiming for a specific general surgery residency, I would make sure there's no chance that your boyfriend might change apartments.

One thing is for sure: You have your priorities in order.

However, before choosing a career and aiming for a specific general surgery residency, I would make sure there's no chance that your boyfriend might change apartments.

:laugh:

I am not a resident, so I can't speak with authority over here. My understanding is that general surgery is not competitive to get into as long as you apply everywhere. But yale general surgery is more competitive to get into then the average ortho or plastic surgery program out there.

I am not a resident, so I can't speak with authority over here. My understanding is that general surgery is not competitive to get into as long as you apply everywhere. But yale general surgery is more competitive to get into then the average ortho or plastic surgery program out there.

While it is true that there are small community programs scattered across the US that are considered "not competitive," most desirable general surgery residencies are very competitive, and have been that way for several years.

It's a bad idea to go into the application process thinking you'll get in for sure. There are always some solid, qualified applicants that don't play the game well, and are shocked and miserable on match day.

I guess my point is that it's easier than you think to not match. That is, unless of course, you've identified all these small community programs and you're applying exclusively to them.

all jobs are competitive if you have no talent and no resume.

I didn't say that its easy to get into general surgery. I am sure that people have applied in the past with good grades and didn't get in. And I know that there is a possibility I won't match this year (I really hope I do though!) no matter how many interviews I go to.

All good jobs are competitive. But generally speaking, IM and GS are easier to get into then radiology and derm. I was just trying to make the point that the top programs, whether in IM or GS, probably will be as competitive as the ultra-competitive residencies to get into.

I didn't say that its easy to get into general surgery. I am sure that people have applied in the past with good grades and didn't get in. And I know that there is a possibility I won't match this year (I really hope I do though!) no matter how many interviews I go to.

All good jobs are competitive. But generally speaking, IM and GS are easier to get into then radiology and derm. I was just trying to make the point that the top programs, whether in IM or GS, probably will be as competitive as the ultra-competitive residencies to get into.

I actually did summer research at Yale between MSI and MSII and since my mentor was the chairman of surgery, I saw the list of new residents for that year. What surprised me most was that almost half (or even more!) of the residents were graduates from foreign schools! I'm not only talking about carribbean schools, but also students from europe, the middle east, asia, india, etc. If the program is so competitive, why would they accept foreign medical grads before what I assume to be a horde of hard-working, qualified american students?

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually did summer research at Yale between MSI and MSII and since my mentor was the chairman of surgery, I saw the list of new residents for that year. What surprised me most was that almost half (or even more!) of the residents were graduates from foreign schools! I'm not only talking about carribbean schools, but also students from europe, the middle east, asia, india, etc. If the program is so competitive, why would they accept foreign medical grads before what I assume to be a horde of hard-working, qualified american students?

I'm going to go ahead and call it.
:troll: (in case you didn't catch on after the boyfriend's apartment comment)

I'm going to go ahead and call it.
:troll: (in case you didn't catch on after the boyfriend's apartment comment)

i can understand why you might think i'm a troll, but i'm being serious. and regarding the boyfriend comment...I didn't mean I was going to apply to programs simply based on trying to move closer to him. I was just curious. Obviously it'd be nice to live closer than 5 hours to the person you love, but I know thats very hard for all you heartless b*stards to understand :)

Yale is not highly competitive; however I would bet that the IMGs are prelims, not categoricals.

are you serious??? Yale isn't competitive!!! I guess its not if you are coming from another ivy league school, but for the average med student out there, I'd say you have to be in the top 20 percent of people who take step 1 and 2 to be taken seriously over there

Well, I will let you guys now how competitive it is in the next couple of months. I hope you are right and its not!

are you serious??? Yale isn't competitive!!! I guess its not if you are coming from another ivy league school, but for the average med student out there, I'd say you have to be in the top 20 percent of people who take step 1 and 2 to be taken seriously over there

Well, I will let you guys now how competitive it is in the next couple of months. I hope you are right and its not!

It is an above-average competitiveness general surgery program, but it is not one of the super-competitive academic programs out there.

Don't get hung up on the "Ivy" name - that is really meaningless at this level.

You are right. This process is giving me flashbacks from back when I was applying for medical school. To be honest I don't even remember how high Yale was ranked in USNEWS, I guess its drilled in my head that its one of the best places in the world to get any kind of education

Well I guess I should not get involved in conversations I am not sure about. I know, I know, never assume anything .........

It is an above-average competitiveness general surgery program, but it is not one of the super-competitive academic programs out there.

Don't get hung up on the "Ivy" name - that is really meaningless at this level.

This is accurate.

Yale is not considered a very competitive general surgery residency in the grand scheme of things. The Ivy League sheen is different here than it is for undergrad and grad schools.

I'm sure this thread is thrilling Yale right about now. Not just the fact that everyone thinks they're average. The fact that people are applying to their residency to be closer to their boyfriends and people are like "yeah, that sounds reasonable." You can almost hear their Program Director dragging the 10 blade across his wrist.

Yale is tops at one thing...
most likely place to have your car broken into.

The only way I'd go to yale is if they paid me!!

who am I kidding, I will go there if I'd have to do residency over there for free

The only way I'd go to yale is if they paid me!!

who am I kidding, I will go there if I'd have to do residency over there for free

haha i hear yea...their campus (both the main one and the medical one) is BEAUTIFUL, plus I'm a big-name *****. New Haven ain't that bad anymore