How hard is it to lose your license?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Altary

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, since pharmacists are liable for a tech's error and all.

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty hard.

Reactions: 1 users
The vast majority of pharmacists never lose their licenses. The few who do, usually get their licenses back if they are willing to jump through the hoops (drug treatment, drug testing, etc.....which in my experience has been the #1 reason I've seen pharmacists get their licenses suspended or put on probation, drug addiction/abuse) Probably the 2nd most likely reason pharmacists lose their license is because of some kind of fraud, especially with Medicare/Medicaid.

There is the case in Ohio where the hospital pharmacist had his licensed revoked because a technician mixed the IV wrong leading to the death of a child--but this was an unusually rare case.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The vast majority of pharmacists never lose their licenses. The few who do, usually get their licenses back if they are willing to jump through the hoops (drug treatment, drug testing, etc.....which in my experience has been the #1 reason I've seen pharmacists get their licenses suspended or put on probation, drug addiction/abuse) Probably the 2nd most likely reason pharmacists lose their license is because of some kind of fraud, especially with Medicare/Medicaid.

There is the case in Ohio where the hospital pharmacist had his licensed revoked because a technician mixed the IV wrong leading to the death of a child--but this was an unusually rare case.

I was going to say the same thing. Violation of professional boundaries, which usually consists of trading drugs for sex, can and will get a license yanked as well. So will commission of a felony in some states - any felony.

As for the Ohio situation, there was a LOT more to that story. Pharmacists who are disciplined because of something a technician did usually got that because they were complicit in some way (knowingly filling a forged RX, that kind of thing) or they had a lengthy and documented history of messing things up - in other words, they were incompetent.

It's either really difficult or really easy depending on how you practice.

Reactions: 1 users
In my state I think I've only seen people lose their licenses due to drug addiction that caused them to break the law multiple times.

The last person in Wisconsin who lost their license with no opportunity for the suspension to be waived, stole drugs from his pharmacy and used it to kill his wife. The most common reason for license issues has to do with drug addiction.

How many people got their licenses revoked for critical dispensing errors besides Eric Cropp due to the IV error? Just wondering.

How many people got their licenses revoked for critical dispensing errors besides Eric Cropp due to the IV error? Just wondering.

It doesn't happen often. If the board comes down on someone for a med error, they usually request that the person pay a fine and do some extra CEs.

There was also a pharmacist in my state whose license was suspended because he was arrested for exposing himself to women in the parking lot of the store where he worked. :wow: When I mentioned this on my Facebook page, one Wags alumnus said, "Did he work at Walgreens?" I replied, "How did you guess? Least he could have done was go across the street to CVS."

:mooning: :wacky:

The last person in Wisconsin who lost their license with no opportunity for the suspension to be waived, stole drugs from his pharmacy and used it to kill his wife. The most common reason for license issues has to do with drug addiction.

He should never get out of prison for that, period!

Illinois places all their licenses on the same website (idfpr.com) and I was quite surprised to see that the largest number of disciplinary actions seemed to be against - get this - locksmiths. Why, you may ask? They lied about their criminal records. :nono: Barbers and beauticians have a lot as well; for them, the most common things are practicing without a license, and nonpayment of child support (for which Illinois only allows a 30-day arrearage before taking action).