How hard is it to match into residency on a second try?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yeetus

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve been browsing online about what happens to those who don’t match and it seems that the situation isn’t as simple as applying a second time (like applying again for med school after a first unsuccessful try)? Some people even look for a career outside of medicine which is shocking considering how much time they invested into med school. Has it something to do with the second try likely to end up in a failure? Also, is applying for a less competitive residency a legitimate strategy at getting matched on a second try or does that not work?

Members don't see this ad.

There is not a single answer for this. Was this failure to match in a usamg or IMG or fmg, was the failure to match due to red flags, luck of the draw or no good self assessment .

Most of the time it will be harder to match , but may be easier if a us amg with derm stats is not applying fm . So the answer is it depends.

There isn't a lot of good data on this question to my knowledge .

Reactions: 1 user
Depends. I know people that had to apply 2-3 times before they got into the specialty of their choice. Also depends on how they applied (only applying to top tiers vs broadly), what letters were used (one terrible letter is enough to sink your application, removal of this letter next time you apply may be the difference between match and no match). I’m addition, AMGs will fair much better reapplying than IMGs/FMGs. They’re residents that resigned/were terminated and then reapply. There’s also people that just have irredeemable applications (failing Step 1 two-three times, multiple failed clinical rotations, etc). Everyone’s situation is different. Also yes, if you’re gunning for Ortho and don’t have a good application, then reapplying for FM/IM would probably illicit a higher probability of matching.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is not a single answer for this. Was this failure to match in a usamg or IMG or fmg, was the failure to match due to red flags, luck of the draw or no good self assessment .

Most of the time it will be harder to match , but may be easier if a us amg with derm stats is not applying fm . So the answer is it depends.

There isn't a lot of good data on this question to my knowledge .

So say that there’s a US medical school graduate/US Citizen with good step scores (240-260) and other good stats plus good interview skills and applies for ortho and surprisingly didn’t get matched on a fluke(the chances are very low but it seems it still happens). Is it recommended that they apply for a lower competitive speciality the next time or they should apply again for ortho as they have good stats and was possibly due to bad luck? Is it important to do research and extra opportunities in that one year too?