how hard is it to match into USC's Internal medicine residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

billytoanle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
do they have good training? Or is it as bad as people are describing it?
-OMS III

Members don't see this ad.

If you breathe, have passed the steps, and have full mental and physical function, you can be considered for USC's internal medicine program. They host many DO's and FMG's if that tells you anything.

If you breathe, have passed the steps, and have full mental and physical function, you can be considered for USC's internal medicine program. They host many DO's and FMG's if that tells you anything.

cOnISE anD inFormATivE dEsRIptIOn wiTh WelL tHOughT oUt cRItiCism.... o_O ....lol.

Members don't see this ad :)

And such wit!

do they have good training? Or is it as bad as people are describing it?
-OMS III

Not hard.

Last year they had like 53 categorical spots. Those are petty decent chances merely by the numbers, but factor in that it's the largest LA County program, residency is NOT "cush" by any stretch of the imagination, and the fellowship placement is arguably the worst of any SoCal University based IM program based on a per capita calculation.

It's my understanding they've moved into the new facilities? If they have this means that call will change from Q4 for 11 months (yes, I said ELEVEN), to a more modern style schedule.

It's a solid program, with lots of potential, and it's not for slackers - you WILL be an animal when you come out after 3 years at LA County. So, it's not a bad choice, and shouldn't be hard to get into - I gave it a lot of consideration last year, but UNlike most people I was trying to get OUT of SoCal . . .

Thanks for the answers. You guys have been great.
Fellowship placement is is not too great????
I am certainly interested in fellowship...darn

Thanks for the answers. You guys have been great.
Fellowship placement is is not too great????
I am certainly interested in fellowship...darn

It not that it's horrible, only that if you look at the other SoCal university programs it's not as good as a per capita basis, in other words, the people going to fellowships as a number of actual graduating residents is arguably the lowest. It is a large program and people go into ALL of the IM fellowships.

Why are people trying to get out of southern cal? Great weather out there I thought?
I hear LA is a bit grimy, but...

Why are people trying to get out of southern cal? Great weather out there I thought?
I hear LA is a bit grimy, but...

People aren't. I'm just weird. :D

I'm a midwest kid who found myself in SoCal for med school and decided I wanted ot go back. You CANNOT beat the weather in L.A.

I am a resident that is in the program right now. The main problem with this program is the program director (Dr. Ron Ben-Ari). He runs the program in a very haphazard way. Treatment of residents is very inconsistent. Good residents are not recognized and bad residents are not reprimanded. As a result, the morale of all the residents is extremely poor and everyone is constantly complaining about how unhappy they are.

Thanks - thats really good to know. Ive heard of the USC program not being too good. Didnt know the reason why. Got it now. Do you know of any plans in leadership changes soon?

last time I saw, too many people who didnt look like they spoke good english. im not saying theyre dumb, but far too many IMG's for my taste, maybe that's changed. La county is no picnic either.

last time I saw, too many people who didnt look like they spoke good english. im not saying theyre dumb, but far too many IMG's for my taste, maybe that's changed. La county is no picnic either.

:eyebrow:

I wasn't able to find it, but did anyone come across either an incoming residency roster or fellowship match list online?

Don't know about any future leadership change. I think there's a new black woman who became one of the associate program directors this year. Otherwise there have been no changes I've heard about. But, the clerkship director is very involved in teaching both students and residents and he is really good. Oh, and the guy in charge of discipline is a total joke.

Fellowship placement seems good, actually, but I don't have a list.

would it be a stretch to say USC might be a good place for people trying to become hospitalists?

----------------------------------
Fight me. http://konhndrkx.mybrute.com

Fellowship placement seems good, actually, but I don't have a list.

LAC+USC actually lost accreditation for their Cards fellowship a while ago. I dont know if they have managed to get it back. I have heard if you want to do cards LAC+USC does not have a good track record for putting residents into that fellowship.

I did an IM rotation at the old LAC+USC county hosiptal and you need to be competent to speak spanish to have any shot at providing good patient care. other languages are also common, such as some asian types.

You will see tons of stuff that you wouldnt see at most cush private hospital programs. You do however, have to deal with a terrible ancillary staff and do a lot of social work for the patients yourself.

good luck