How hard is it...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curiousforever

X+0+ Cookies?
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
for an Out of State student to go to an in-state public University?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

About as difficult as it is for an in-state student to go to an out-of-state school.

Your welcome.

*****EDIT********

Okay, I feel a little guilty for the flippant answer. I blame it on the bad day I am having and the fact that I was trying to forget this whole nasty business in the lounge.
Really you should check the MSAR for the individual school of interest. Here's what I know: the Univ. of Utah takes 10 students(+15 western state students), Univ. of Mich takes 50% of their class, UVa and OSU take about 40 students. Those are the schools that come to the top of my mind.

if you have a particular school in mind I can look it up for you in the MSAR and give you some stats. In general, it's pretty tough.

Members don't see this ad :)
very tough. what about your own state school?

really depends on the school. UC's, almost impossible. On the other hand, my two acceptances so far are from public schools, out of state. MSAR should help, or US News.

isn't it still hard to get into an UC even if you are a resident?

To OP:

In another post, you state that you are finishing at a two-year institution and wish to move to an out-of-state or Ivy league university. I take this to mean that you are looking to attend an out-of-state UNDERGRADUATE institution to finish college, and are not applying to medical school yet.

Getting into an Ivy League college is DIFFICULT, and you may have to come in as a transfer. Without any more information about your situation, that's all I can say for sure. Get your GPA as high as possible, and find information on admissions to various colleges from the large books published every year.

If your situation is different from what I've assumed, please post some more specific info.

Yes. Actually I'd say its harder to get in a UC as in state than getting in a public school as out of state. Thats the price we pay for living in the golden state!

Originally posted by lazgirl24
isn't it still hard to get into an UC even if you are a resident?