How hard is med school, really

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gumshoe

LARGE Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is med school all that time consuming? I hope to get in next year, and I have a feeling that it is very time consuming. But would you say it's hard? I think you just have to figure out what you can learn and take as much of it in as possible. Inevitably, you'll fail at times.

Any comments, suggestions, preferences?

Gumshoe

Also, does anyone take or pursue/continue to develop their spanish? I wanted to know how they view this, because I can speak it but am not that sure about many medical terms.

Thanks for your time
Holla --> love to all my peeps :love:

Members don't see this ad.

I've only been here for 3 weeks and haven't had a test yet, so I can't say with certainty, but this is what I know so far: you cover a given body of material 3-5 times as fast as you would during undergrad. No joke. 20 weeks of biochem takes about 4 weeks here. So is the material hard? No. The volume is hard. It's like drinking water from a fire hose. Water is easy to drink in and of itself. But that much water that fast is what is difficult.

Originally posted by Moleculo
Yeah, that's what it's like at my school too.

No dude, the water at your school tastes bad. Very brackish, unpalatable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Moleculo
One man's sludge is another man's Cristal.

Yes, there's no accounting for some people's tastes.

Yes!! Double how bad youve heard it to be and you have what med school is really like. It turns everything in your life upside down and then shuffles it a few times. Think Im exaggerating?? Im a 4th year and every year is just as tough in its own way. Wait and see......

Originally posted by Diogenes
I've only been here for 3 weeks and haven't had a test yet, so I can't say with certainty, but this is what I know so far: you cover a given body of material 3-5 times as fast as you would during undergrad. No joke. 20 weeks of biochem takes about 4 weeks here. So is the material hard? No. The volume is hard. It's like drinking water from a fire hose. Water is easy to drink in and of itself. But that much water that fast is what is difficult.

ive heard that same analogy before..

i refuse to let myself get intimidated at this point.

No dude, the water at your school tastes bad. Very brackish, unpalatable.
At USC (Keck) they buy us bottled water. We are very papmpered here.

Originally posted by Jalby

Yes, but here they teach us to spell. And I was actually making a broad comment about the tap water in San Diego in general.

hey gumshoe and all,

i agree that med school is time consuming, but that is to be expected (graduate school is like having a job)...

in terms of difficulty, i don't think it is ridiculously hard. true, there's a lot of information, but they don't expect you to know EVERYTHING... you just have to know how to be selective about your studying.

the way my teachers explained it to us was that we need to know enough "to explain the concepts to a relatively intelligent high school student"...

take care,
swaroop

Fortunately, here in North Carolina, we are in the middle of a drought emergency, so they have had to scale back the amount of water from "fire hose" to "garden hose on high" levels.

Seriously, it is a heck of a lot of work, but so far, none of it all that mentally taxing. It's a lot more work than a full time job, though.

[ So is the material hard? No. The volume is hard. [/B]

Just right. Nothing you'll run into is very complex, it's just that you run into a LOT of stuff very fast. But really, If you've ever had a 40-50 hour/week job you'll be fine, because it's like that. You have to study (and I mean STUDY, like in a library--no TV, radios, etc.) every day. I do between 2-4 hours/day, (on top of 5-8 hours of class every day), then one weekend day about 8-10 hours. Upside is that I have all my evenings free, so I DO have a social life. If you use your time well, you'll be fine. Don't sweat it. You'll probably freak a bit the first couple weeks because of the pace, but you'll get used to it.

You don't study enough. You need to start aiming for 100s.

Med school gets easier and harder at the same time.

Basically, when you first start med school your anus isn't quite as distended, but with plenty of practice and after the curriculum committee applies a copious amout of KY, it's smooth sailing! At this moment, you could easily drive a train straight into me and I wouldn't feel it (sideways, even). *thumbs up*

word. i'm beginning to feel this way, exactly. heh.

Originally posted by cmz
Med school gets easier and harder at the same time.

Basically, when you first start med school your anus isn't quite as distended, but with plenty of practice and after the curriculum committee applies a copious amout of KY, it's smooth sailing! At this moment, you could easily drive a train straight into me and I wouldn't feel it (sideways, even). *thumbs up*