How hard is the physics you need for medical school w/o taking calc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustintheDoctor

High functioning FeelsOpath
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So long story short, I took stats instead of calc without realizing physics(that you need for the MCAT and med school) is calc based.

Has anyone had this issue and did good in physics? Should I take a calc class? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Calculus-based physics is not required. Algebra-based physics is adequate and what majority of pre-med students take.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I took calc and not stats and always wished I'd taken stats.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks a lot guys, you just saved me from continuing my panic attack. F*cking love this site.

Reactions: 2 users
I know many people that took calc just so they could take the calc-based physics to prepare better for the MCAT. They all regretted it because it was of minimal benefit and in most cases put a dent in their sGPA. Take the trig/algebra-based and call it a day.

Reactions: 1 users
I know many people that took calc just so they could take the calc-based physics to prepare better for the MCAT. They all regretted it because it was of minimal benefit and in most cases put a dent in their sGPA. Take the trig/algebra-based and call it a day.
That's the plan lol. Still sucks that I have to take Calc alone as a stand alone course for my major. I hate math.

Calculus-based physics makes you understand physics at a deeper level that will help you see clearly how the human body can be modelled as a physical system. The engineer and physics guys applying to medical school (as well as current med students/residents/fellows/attendings etc with these backgrounds) will know what i mean.

Practically speaking though (i.e. for the typical premed), physics refers to algebra-based, which is a lot easier to dispose of with an A than calc-based. Calculus is required only by a few schools (see the MSAR) but even then, one semester of calc is fine. Stats, however, is very good to have, if not required.

Reactions: 1 users
Calculus-based physics makes you understand physics at a deeper level that will help you see clearly how the human body can be modelled as a physical system. The engineer and physics guys applying to medical school (as well as current med students/residents/fellows/attendings etc with these backgrounds) will know what i mean.

Practically speaking though (i.e. for the typical premed), physics refers to algebra-based, which is a lot easier to dispose of with an A than calc-based. Calculus is required only by a few schools (see the MSAR) but even then, one semester of calc is fine. Stats, however, is very good to have, if not required.
Yeah sadly I'm in a little tie with my major and they're telling me I have to take Calc with pre-calc and a computer lab calc thing for me to major in biology. It bothers me that I'm being forced to take this crap lmao.