how hard is to get in a residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cool_vkb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How hard is it to get into a residency after graduating. I mean i know u gotta take Boards. So is it like only those who score like above 90% get to go to residency. Or its like Medical residencies which are pretty easy to get in if u graduate from a US medical school and get like 60% in USMLE exams. (plzz note, iam not talkin abt dermatology residencies, iam just talkin abt internal medcine, FP, etc).

Members don't see this ad.

At the present time, there are more residencies then there are graduates. This has not always been true, in the 80s and 90s, residencies were very competitive and difficult to get. As the number of students continues to rise this may change in the future.

Dr_Feelgood said:
At the present time, there are more residencies then there are graduates. This has not always been true, in the 80s and 90s, residencies were very competitive and difficult to get. As the number of students continues to rise this may change in the future.

The CPME has vowed to make sure that the mid-90s residency disaster does not happen again. Hopefully, as more students apply, the number of seats will remain the same. We need to push for capping enrollment. Apparently that hasnt been the most popular thing among the schools. Hmmm, I wonder why?

Members don't see this ad :)
You mentioned a 90% on board exams, my impression has been that nobody ever finds out your board exam score, you either pass or you don't. I have heard that if you fail they tell you how baddly you fail to prepare you for the next exam, but if you pass....you pass, end of story. If I have been misinformed someone else please correct me.

So, if what I have heard is true, what is important is that you pass the boards, then, to get the residency you want you need to become known to those programs you're interested in, go visit, do an externship, besides the obvious grades and extra curricular things they expect you to have I've heard the interview and externship are where the real decisions get made, they really want to know if you fit in well with their style of teaching and the personalities of the people already there.

cool_vkb said:
How hard is it to get into a residency after graduating. I mean i know u gotta take Boards. So is it like only those who score like above 90% get to go to residency. Or its like Medical residencies which are pretty easy to get in if u graduate from a US medical school and get like 60% in USMLE exams. (plzz note, iam not talkin abt dermatology residencies, iam just talkin abt internal medcine, FP, etc).

PoddyTrained said:
You mentioned a 90% on board exams, my impression has been that nobody ever finds out your board exam score, you either pass or you don't. I have heard that if you fail they tell you how baddly you fail to prepare you for the next exam, but if you pass....you pass, end of story. If I have been misinformed someone else please correct me.

So, if what I have heard is true, what is important is that you pass the boards, then, to get the residency you want you need to become known to those programs you're interested in, go visit, do an externship, besides the obvious grades and extra curricular things they expect you to have I've heard the interview and externship are where the real decisions get made, they really want to know if you fit in well with their style of teaching and the personalities of the people already there.

In NBPME Part 1 and 2 Board Exams, if you pass the exam, you will just get a PASS in your Exam Result Report. If you failed, you will get a numerical score. In NBPME Part 3 Board Exam (PMLexis), you actually get a score for the exam. However, since the State that you are applying for the license informs you of your PMLexis exam result, you may or may not get your actual PMLexis score. Some states simply report a Pass or Fail. However, many of the states do actually report the score to you. NBPME has arbituarly set the score of 75 as the passing grade for PMLexis exam. However, it is the individual state that has the final say as to what is the passing score for that individual state.

When you sit for the ABPS Foot Surgery and Reconstructive Rearfoot Written Board Certification Exam, you will also get a score for the exam. Every year, ABPS determines what score is consdered to be the passing score for each of the two exams. I am so glad to be done with all of the written board exams for now.

I’m sorry, but there is no way to comment without you likely getting defensive. GreenHousePub obviously agrees with me when he/she wrote “how bout them bunions”.

I understand that this is the internet. I understand you are anonymous. I understand it may be easier to use abbreviations, etc. However, if you are considering a career in any aspect of medicine, it’s time to write like a mature adult.

“I mean i know u gotta take boards”. Really, do you want people to take you seriously?

Using the word “like” in every sentence?

(plzz note, iam not talkin abt dermatology residencies, iam just talkin abt internal medcine, FP, etc). Again, do you really want to be taken seriously writing “plzz” “talkin abt”, etc.

Yes, again I know it’s the internet and everyone is in a hurry. But this is now the time in your career to stop thinking as if you’re still in high school. Bad habits are hard to break, but I assure you there is no better time.

I’ve had more than one student write to me to shadow me over the years. As soon as I read “Hey doctor” or any sophomoric abbreviations or slang, I ask my staff to please let the student know I’ll pass. And over the years I’ve had MANY students and residents spend time with me.

Eventually you’re going to have to write a letter to a doctor and/or admissions committee, residency director, etc. Now is the time to write the way I’m sure you can.

Instead of a knee-jerk reflex answer being defensive or combative, please understand I don’t know you, and I’m just offering honest advice for YOUR future.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m sorry, but there is no way to comment without you likely getting defensive. GreenHousePub obviously agrees with me when he/she wrote “how bout them bunions”.

I understand that this is the internet. I understand you are anonymous. I understand it may be easier to use abbreviations, etc. However, if you are considering a career in any aspect of medicine, it’s time to write like a mature adult.

“I mean i know u gotta take boards”. Really, do you want people to take you seriously?

Using the word “like” in every sentence?

(plzz note, iam not talkin abt dermatology residencies, iam just talkin abt internal medcine, FP, etc). Again, do you really want to be taken seriously writing “plzz” “talkin abt”, etc.

Yes, again I know it’s the internet and everyone is in a hurry. But this is now the time in your career to stop thinking as if you’re still in high school. Bad habits are hard to break, but I assure you there is no better time.

I’ve had more than one student write to me to shadow me over the years. As soon as I read “Hey doctor” or any sophomoric abbreviations or slang, I ask my staff to please let the student know I’ll pass. And over the years I’ve had MANY students and residents spend time with me.

Eventually you’re going to have to write a letter to a doctor and/or admissions committee, residency director, etc. Now is the time to write the way I’m sure you can.

Instead of a knee-jerk reflex answer being defensive or combative, please understand I don’t know you, and I’m just offering honest advice for YOUR future.

Hello Dr. ExperiencedDPM,

With all due respect sir this was a post from 2006 that got bumped.

Regardless, we are in complete agreement with your professional advice for Original Poster.

Sincerely,

Weirdy

Reactions: 1 user
“The CPME has vowed to make sure that the mid-90s residency disaster does not happen again”

“Watch this”
-2012-2013.

History has a tendency to repeat itself.

Regardless, we are in complete agreement with your professional advice for Original Poster.

Sincerely,

Weirdy

Sincerely,

Weirdy

You are correct. I simply didn’t look at the date of the original post.

Reactions: 1 users