How hard will this be in summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boburnham

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

One of my friends suggested I make an account on SDN to ask a question he did not know the answer to.

So I need to take Chem 2 (w/ lab) and Pre-calc (5 credits) this summer, and I was wondering how much (or how little) free time I will have.

I do not plan on working over the summer, but I will be volunteering about 8 hours/week total.

The start/end date for Chem is 6/22 until 8/2, (6 weeks) Mon-Thurs from 8:00-10:45.

The start/end date for Pre calc is 6/05 until 7/27 (8 weeks) and is all online.

Will I have any free time over the summer? I ended chem 1 with a 97 so I have a pretty good understanding of gen chem.

I tried searching the forums for a science and math class over summer thread but could only find multiple sciences over summer threads so hopefully this hasn't been beat to death.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah you will.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Gen Chem 2 is mostly formulas and knowing how they work when changing certain variables and solubility/other rxns. Pre-calc is kind of annoying because it's so much work ie using the definition of derivative instead of power rule but it's not too hard per se. You'll be fine but your time will be fairly limited, just because labs take a lot of time to do

It really just depends on how quickly you learn

Members don't see this ad :)
Gen Chem 2 is mostly formulas and knowing how they work when changing certain variables and solubility/other rxns. Pre-calc is kind of annoying because it's so much work ie using the definition of derivative instead of power rule but it's not too hard per se. You'll be fine but your time will be fairly limited, just because labs take a lot of time to do

It really just depends on how quickly you learn

I learn fairly quickly so I don't think the faster pace will be an issue, I was more concerned with the fact that I didn't know how to gauge if taking x amount of classes is possible or not since I had no experience taking a science class in the summer

Thanks for the help!

This seems like a fairly easy semester. But only you can tell if this is too much or too little.

Classes are condensed so it may be more work, but all in all you should be able to enjoy your summer

I'm taking the same exact classes in the summer over a course of 12 weeks IN-CLASS. I may need to add that when taking online classes you will need to study and work twice as hard. Sure you'll have free time during the summer, but you'll probably be burned out midway through.

Chem 2 can be a lot of work but Pre calc was a breeze. You will be fine. Especially if that is your only 2 classes.

Chem 2 (w/ lab) and Pre-calc (5 credits)

Do both of those courses combine for a total of 5 credits or, is Pre-calc 5 credits? Either way, given that one is six weeks and the other is eight weeks, you should have some free time. Obviously it will be accelerated, but since you said you are a fast learner, I am sure you'll be able to handle the course load. I had to take eight credit hours during the span of roughly four weeks and it was manageable. Busy, but manageable. Also, Pre-calc is a breeze, so no worries.

Do both of those courses combine for a total of 5 credits or, is Pre-calc 5 credits? Either way, given that one is six weeks and the other is eight weeks, you should have some free time. Obviously it will be accelerated, but since you said you are a fast learner, I am sure you'll be able to handle the course load. I had to take eight credit hours during the span of roughly four weeks and it was manageable. Busy, but manageable. Also, Pre-calc is a breeze, so no worries.

Chem 2 with lab is 4 credits and pre calc is 5 credits so it'd be 9 credits total.

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

My adviser seemed to think I was crazy when I said I wanted to take both, but she also said that when I take Organic next fall that Orgo 1 and Orgo 2 should be my only classes in the fall and spring.. as in she thinks I should take Orgo 1 with no other classes fall and Orgo 2 with no other classes in the spring.. so it's a little hard to take her seriously

This seems like a fairly easy semester. But only you can tell if this is too much or too little.

Yeah I don't think it would be the class material that I would struggle with, I just don't have any experience taking science classes in the summer so I didn't know if it was in the realm of possibilities to take a science and math course together in the summer.

Based off these replies, it seems like it will be doable.

I'm taking the same exact classes in the summer over a course of 12 weeks IN-CLASS. I may need to add that when taking online classes you will need to study and work twice as hard. Sure you'll have free time during the summer, but you'll probably be burned out midway through.

Yeah I really wanted to take pre calc in class, but they are both Mon-Thurs at the same time so I have to take pre calc online :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
IMO Gen. Chem. II is the easiest chemistry
My adviser seemed to think I was crazy when I said I wanted to take both, but she also said that when I take Organic next fall that Orgo 1 and Orgo 2 should be my only classes in the fall and spring.. as in she thinks I should take Orgo 1 with no other classes fall and Orgo 2 with no other classes in the spring.. so it's a little hard to take her seriously

Organic is a punch in the face but this is insane. Do you have a program adviser yet or is this some sort of premajor/underclassman adviser? Decent advising can save you a lot of headaches.

Chem 2 with lab is 4 credits and pre calc is 5 credits so it'd be 9 credits total.

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

I take Organic Chemistry 1 with a lab (both combine for 5 credit hours) next semester. I took IB Chemistry in high school, which went over a lot of organic chemistry and while it's definitely not the easiest material, I definitely don't see why she would think that it should be your only class for an entire semester. Most, if not, all schools would consider that part-time and, unless you have a lot of responsibilities, such as a family to tend to, I personally don't think medical schools would like to see that you only took 4-5 credit hours for one semester (I could be wrong). Also, it just seems like a waste of a semester to me to only take one class and a lab.

Gen chem is all equations, and theorems. If you can do calculations, and understand concepts you will do well in gchem 2.

I take Organic Chemistry 1 with a lab (both combine for 5 credit hours) next semester. I took IB Chemistry in high school, which went over a lot of organic chemistry and while it's definitely not the easiest material, I definitely don't see why she would think that it should be your only class for an entire semester. Most, if not, all schools would consider that part-time and, unless you have a lot of responsibilities, such as a family to tend to, I personally don't think medical schools would like to see that you only took 4-5 credit hours for one semester (I could be wrong). Also, it just seems like a waste of a semester to me to only take one class and a lab.

Yeah that's what I thought, and I'm definitely planning on taking around 15 credits to make sure I graduate on time. The big thing that I'm considering for next fall is whether to take physics and orgo in the same semester or not

Hard. No, not a lot of free time. Is it doable? I would say yes.

Yeah that's what I thought, and I'm definitely planning on taking around 15 credits to make sure I graduate on time. The big thing that I'm considering for next fall is whether to take physics and orgo in the same semester or not

I've had friends who took Organic 2 and physics 2 in the same semester and did perfectly fine. I think it really depends on how much effort you're willing to put into studying, how well you retain the materials, and who your professors are. Personally, if you can, look up which professors teach those courses and then view them on that ratemyprofessor.com website. That's what I like to do. Also, will you be taking Calc 1 before you take physics? I would recommend it. It is good to have a strong background in math for physics.

I took chem1/2 over 1 summer and had plenty of free time. It is more work b/c of the condensed time, but you also have way more time from not taking a full course load. I actually regret not being more productive that summer because looking back I definitely had free time to volunteer/shadow, etc.

I've had friends who took Organic 2 and physics 2 in the same semester and did perfectly fine. I think it really depends on how much effort you're willing to put into studying, how well you retain the materials, and who your professors are. Personally, if you can, look up which professors teach those courses and then view them on that ratemyprofessor.com website. That's what I like to do. Also, will you be taking Calc 1 before you take physics? I would recommend it. It is good to have a strong background in math for physics.

I am planning on taking calc at some point, but isn't it acceptable to just take the Algebra based physics? I spoke to a few people about this and they all thought Algebra based physics would be sufficient for the MCAT

I took chem1/2 over 1 summer and had plenty of free time. It is more work b/c of the condensed time, but you also have way more time from not taking a full course load. I actually regret not being more productive that summer because looking back I definitely had free time to volunteer/shadow, etc.

Thats true about the lesser workload of not having multiple classes, I also think it will be easier because Chem 2 and Pre calc are classes I am interested in, whereas now I hate 3 of the 5 classes I'm in and are just being taken for graduation requirements

Thats true about the lesser workload of not having multiple classes, I also think it will be easier because Chem 2 and Pre calc are classes I am interested in, whereas now I hate 3 of the 5 classes I'm in and are just being taken for graduation requirements

Makes sense to me. Although I realized that I took chem1 first then chem2, so I was never taking two classes at once. Still, I think volunteering a few hours a week is a great idea.

I am planning on taking calc at some point, but isn't it acceptable to just take the Algebra based physics? I spoke to a few people about this and they all thought Algebra based physics would be sufficient for the MCAT

I'm pretty sure that it is. I don't think it's required to take a Calc based physics as a prereq for medical school. I'm only taking a calc based physics course because I already knocked out my calculus class and I really enjoy physics.

IMO Gen. Chem. II is the easiest chemistry

Organic is a punch in the face but this is insane. Do you have a program adviser yet or is this some sort of premajor/underclassman adviser? Decent advising can save you a lot of headaches.

What makes you think Gen Chem 2 is the easiest?

She's my freshman adviser, we don't get a pre med adviser until Sophomore year. I'm at a public state school, so I doubt there are many applicants coming from here but I agree that shouldn't be an excuse to have uneducated advisers

What makes you think Gen Chem 2 is the easiest?

She's my freshman adviser, we don't get a pre med adviser until Sophomore year. I'm at a public state school, so I doubt there are many applicants coming from here but I agree that shouldn't be an excuse to have uneducated advisers

Some of my classmates were pressed into HDFS associate's degrees (along with their majors) by their freshman advisors because "it'll help you get into medical school."

In my opinion chem II is way less conceptual and is mostly describing chemical kinetics with basic algebra.

Some of my classmates were pressed into HDFS associate's degrees (along with their majors) by their freshman advisors because "it'll help you get into medical school."

In my opinion chem II is way less conceptual and is mostly describing chemical kinetics with basic algebra.

o_O Yikes.. Sounds like bad advisers is more common than I thought..

And oh that's interesting, by the way you put it Chem 2 does sound a lot easier.