How has the MCAT physically affected YOU - before and after pictures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fas376

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I came across a thread from 2007 where people talked about how fat and lazy they had gotten through the MCAT process, so I thought I'd make this post to lighten the mood.

My diagnostic score 3.5 months ago was a 14 (on AAMC 3) and I worked my ass off to bring it up to the high 20s-low 30s range (verbal is still killing my score). My test is next Saturday.

Unfortunately, my body took a toll, and here are the results (you don't have to post pictures, I just thought it'd be funny if I did).

Before - 6 feet 1 inch. 190 pounds, 6% BF
After - 210 pounds. 16% BF

If any of you have experience similar transformations, please share :D:D:D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I didn't gain weight but I can only be found wearing yoga pants and t-shirts/hoodies. Oh and my hair is never done anymore. 1 hour flat iron-ing my hair vs. 1 hour verbal EK verbal test.. MCAT studying wins everytime. I just hope this pays off.

I came across a thread from 2007 where people talked about how fat and lazy they had gotten through the MCAT process, so I thought I'd make this post to lighten the mood.

My diagnostic score 3.5 months ago was a 14 (on AAMC 3) and I worked my ass off to bring it up to the high 20s-low 30s range (verbal is still killing my score). My test is next Saturday.

Unfortunately, my body took a toll, and here are the results (you don't have to post pictures, I just thought it'd be funny if I did).

5WTTu.jpg

Similar stuff happened to me.

5'10 175 10% BF, gained 40 pounds around 205 lbs now...dont want to measure my body fat.

5WTTu.jpg

Haha you look good. WAIT correction-you looked good. =p

Haha but you're fine. As a girl, I've gained 10 pounds on a 5'4 frame purely from energy drinks. Thats ggonna be a hassle to burn off

I didn't gain weight but I can only be found wearing yoga pants and t-shirts/hoodies. Oh and my hair is never done anymore. 1 hour flat iron-ing my hair vs. 1 hour verbal EK verbal test.. MCAT studying wins everytime. I just hope this pays off.

Jeans, sneakers and T-shirts for me. Lucky I have straight hair so I don't have to worry about working with it in the monrning.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha you look good. WAIT correction-you looked good. =p

Haha but you're fine. As a girl, I've gained 10 pounds on a 5'4 frame purely from energy drinks. Thats ggonna be a hassle to burn off

Jeans, sneakers and T-shirts for me. Lucky I have straight hair so I don't have to worry about working with it in the monrning.

Good to know I'm not the only one that looks like crap 24/7 and has gained some weight :D

I lost 5lbs.. i study too long that lotsa times I just have 2 meals a day, and stopped eating out with my friends. Stopped wearing eye makeup.. bought a backpack for my books (i haven't used a backpack since 6th grade).. if i could i'd wear sweats all the time, but since I still work, I still have to look presentable..

5WTTu.jpg

tumblr_lypqxg82M51ro9fdao2_400.jpg

I gained a few pounds last time, but afterwards I was so depressed about failing that I lost like 20. So it all works out in the end =D

Forget no shave november...it's like no shave SDN schedule for me.

Haha, I haven't shaved the month of April. I think my last haircut was in January. I'm going to look like a castaway pirate for the MCAT.

Physically the MCAT had the opposite effect on my health. I've been lifting MWF and running TR religiously. I'd crack from stress without exercise.

Haha finally a thread not about academics!

I gained about 15lbs from MCAT studying. My sleeping and eating schedule is so terrible. I go to sleep at 3am and wake up at 1pm sometimes because I study til I drop and then when I collapse, I can't get up. I'll eat about 1 good meal a day and the rest is utter junk. The other day, i made a stop at walmart at 1 am and bought this:

c7c5ee7688fb11e1a92a1231381b6f02_7.jpg

blahhhh

I gained about 15lbs from MCAT studying. My sleeping and eating schedule is so terrible. I go to sleep at 3am and wake up at 1pm sometimes because I study til I drop and then when I collapse, I can't get up. I'll eat about 1 good meal a day and the rest is utter junk. The other day, i made a stop at walmart at 1 am and bought this:

blahhhh

Wait...I don't see the junk.

Members don't see this ad :)

blahhhh

This is almost identical to my Walmart runs.

eww, those chicken potstickers are disgusting. Their pork ones are passable, but the chicken ones are hideous.

Ohh Ben & Jerry's .. I wuvv you !!!! esp. chunky monkey - all time favorite during my mcat prep

I've noticed the changes in my face the most, my eyes just have that really tired look about them now probably from studying non stop for the past 4 months for either classes or the MCAT. My friends always ask me if I'm ok because they say I look really tired and depressed all the time, even though I'm usually pretty happy. As far as my diet goes, I havn't gained or lost any weight since my long hours of sitting on my ass studying are usually coupled with forgetting to eat...
Speaking of food...pizza or chinese for tonight? hmmmm decisions decisions...

I've noticed the changes in my face the most, my eyes just have that really tired look about them now probably from studying non stop for the past 4 months for either classes or the MCAT. My friends always ask me if I'm ok because they say I look really tired and depressed all the time, even though I'm usually pretty happy. As far as my diet goes, I havn't gained or lost any weight since my long hours of sitting on my ass studying are usually coupled with forgetting to eat...
Speaking of food...pizza or chinese for tonight? hmmmm decisions decisions...

Chinese ftw. Use your head.

Wait...I don't see the junk.

Hahaha... um any type of frozen or processed food is junk to me. I'm doing my Masters in Nutrition so all this stuff is so bad for me. When I went home, I had the worst stomach ache ever. This might be TMI but we're all future doctors here so lemme just say that I had the worst diarrhea ever from it.

This is almost identical to my Walmart runs.

AHH!!! :eek:

eww, those chicken potstickers are disgusting. Their pork ones are passable, but the chicken ones are hideous.

Yeah the chicken ones are horrible. I can't eat pork tho....

Ohh Ben & Jerry's .. I wuvv you !!!! esp. chunky monkey - all time favorite during my mcat prep

I know right!!! XD

Hahaha... um any type of frozen or processed food is junk to me. I'm doing my Masters in Nutrition so all this stuff is so bad for me. When I went home, I had the worst stomach ache ever. This might be TMI but we're all future doctors here so lemme just say that I had the worst diarrhea ever from it.

AHH!!! :eek:

Yeah the chicken ones are horrible. I can't eat pork tho....

I know right!!! XD

Haha yeah its wweird because the only foods that I can stomach right now are chocolate chip cookies and cup of noodles, or whatever they're called. My feces also comes out weird but I dont give a ****.

Pardon the TWO puns there, people.

I think my penis has shrunk a few inches since I started MCAT studying

Pics on request

Last edited:
I think my penis has shrunk a few inches since I started MCAT studying

Pics on request

LOL

So I was studying last night and actually forgot to order food -_- ill make sure I remember today...can't really go wrong with good old general tso

your penis is shrinking? luckily i get 30 emails a day that say I can increase my size by 6 inches or more through a simple pill. want me to forward them to you? the internet doesnt lie.

I was probably in the best shape of my life when I was studying for the mcat... Interview season I gained 20 lbs and didn't workout for 2.5 months

I was probably in the best shape of my life when I was studying for the mcat... Interview season I gained 20 lbs and didn't workout for 2.5 months

I'm the opposite. I'll be working out and boxing like crazy as soon as this test is over. Applications don't really seem to be all that stressful in my opinion...it just seems like a ton of busy work

I'm the opposite. I'll be working out and boxing like crazy as soon as this test is over. Applications don't really seem to be all that stressful in my opinion...it just seems like a ton of busy work

its def stressful waiting to hear back from schools sometimes.

its def stressful waiting to hear back from schools sometimes.

I guess we look at differently bro. The way I look at it - once you're done applying, you've submitted your GPA, MCAT, ECs, personal statement, rec letters, etc. At that point, you can't do anything. So why waste your time worrying about something that's not in your control?

Um you can still take 30-60 mins every/every other day to work out.

Also, studying isn't an excuse to eat like crapppp.

C'mon...

Um you can still take 30-60 mins every/every other day to work out.

Also, studying isn't an excuse to eat like crapppp.

C'mon...

It is when you take physics, bio, and gen chem freshman year and have to teach it to yourself 4 years later.

its just mcat, i wonder what happen when we study for steps and board exams ?? penis shrink & boobs grow !!!

ugoky.png

i was studying mcat december 25th.

both my birthday, and christmas.

also i had a tooth infection

I don't have good comparisons. But the first one is the before. I still have another 2~ more weeks, but the 2nd is 'after.' Lost about 4-5 pounds of muscle and some water from not being able to get same carb/protein amount in. But both will come back quick afterwards. Even though I haven't gained fat, the MCAT has still made me change my eatinging - due to time constraints, I used to eat more variety of food but now its pretty much the same thing day after day every meal due to lack of time to prepare/priorities, once or twice a week I'll get something diff for a meal. These pics are horrible quality cheap cell phone pics in my dark apartment so work with me ;)

Attachments

• downsized_0831110930.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 128
  • downsized_0910112347.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Oh, and the guy I couldn't have done any of this studying without, the one who brightens my day after 10 hours of banging my head over TBR passages: (note MCAT official guide and lunch box in corner of pic -ha)

Attachments

• downsized_0408120207.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 121
  • 0406122351.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
I don't have good comparisons. But the first one is the before. I still have another 2~ more weeks, but the 2nd is 'after.' Lost about 4-5 pounds of muscle and some water from not being able to get same carb/protein amount in. But both will come back quick afterwards. Even though I haven't gained fat, the MCAT has still made me change my eatinging - due to time constraints, I used to eat more variety of food but now its pretty much the same thing day after day every meal due to lack of time to prepare/priorities, once or twice a week I'll get something diff for a meal. These pics are horrible quality cheap cell phone pics in my dark apartment so work with me ;)

You look the same. And broski, some advice - you need to do some major cutting. Chicks don't dig overly buff guys.

PS cute dog

Definitely lost weight studying for MCAT. I exercised super frequently and ate pretty well, since I was convinced this would be critical for me to get a good score. Also it was an escape from the frequent studying. What was bad for my score was getting my score back - I have the biggest case of senioritis ever in every aspect of my life.

You look the same. And broski, some advice - you need to do some major cutting. Chicks don't dig overly buff guys.

PS cute dog

If only I did it for the ladies. :laugh: But they don't complain. ;) But I do like to keep abs visible for health reasons, like they are.

You guys make me want to take off my shirt and post pictures now. I havent felt this way since I accidentally walked into a gay strip club.

You guys make me want to take off my shirt and post pictures now. I havent felt this way since I accidentally walked into a gay strip club.

I think the dude above me misunderstood the point of this thread. I'm not trying to show off by posting pictures of me with my shirt off. It's the complete opposite, actually. I'm showing how much my eating habits have changed in the past 3.5 months (and thus I gained 15-20 pounds).

I'm not going to a post a before and after picture of me looking the same. This isn't high school where I post pictures of me with my shirt off and try getting compliments. I'm not trying to get flattered online.

I think the dude above me misunderstood the point of this thread. I'm not trying to show off by posting pictures of me with my shirt off. It's the complete opposite, actually. I'm showing how much my eating habits have changed in the past 3.5 months (and thus I gained 15-20 pounds).

I'm not going to a post a before and after picture of me looking the same. This isn't high school where I post pictures of me with my shirt off and try getting compliments. I'm not trying to get flattered online.

Ugh, I was trying to show how you can study and not cause deleterious affects on your body. I have a 1-2 sentences in there explaining the things I did. I can add more... One of the main problems is lack of time to cook healthy meal. So what I did was grabbed the precooked Tyson chicken breast strips frozen (yes precooked= full of sodium, but better than almost any other precooked thing in the store). I would buy a 7 bags every week. Each night I would take one out of the freezer. And it would be dethawed for lunch, dinner, and late dinner(perfect for those 3~ meals you are at the library w/o a microwave). I just grabbed me a handful per meal - 120~g protein a day. And a carb sources are easy cause they don't go bad as easy as most protein sources. And fat is easy- 5 fish oil caps per meal, just don't let them get too hot in your car.

Yea I took a different approach to this thread, but I guess it's just the doctor in me seeing health degrading activities that is the main cause to our Western cultures diseased state today (insulin resistance->cellular inflammation->metabolic syndrome) and not want to say something - not negative, but presenting an alternative-- what I will be providing in a few years.

Last edited: