How have your study techniques changed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yadster101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Depending on how far you are in training, how have your study techniques changed from College --> MS1/MS2 --> MS3/MS4 --> Residency?

How have the number of hours, use of diff resources like ppts, vidoes, texts, etc. changed? Are you still relying on a lot of your pre-med habits or has your study game completely changed in the past few years?

Members don't see this ad.

Now MS3: Wikipedia, Google images, YouTube, and as many Questions as I can find. (1-2hrs per day, but often nothing at all)

MS2: All of the above plus sketchy, FA, Pathoma, a little Anki, a ton of Qbank questions. (8-12hrs a day and watched lectures at 2.5-3x speed)

MS1: Anki, Anki, Anki. (6-8hrs a day and watched lectures at about 2x speed)

College: Textbooks and in class learning. (1-2hrs a day homework, assigned readings, lab reports etc.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Now MS3: Wikipedia, Google images, YouTube, and as many Questions as I can find. (1-2hrs per day, but often nothing at all)

MS2: All of the above plus sketchy, FA, Pathoma, a little Anki, a ton of Qbank questions. (8-12hrs a day and watched lectures at 2.5-3x speed)

College: Textbooks and in class learning. (1-2hrs a day homework, assigned readings, lab reports etc.)
how do you balance all of that and determine which to use for what? Do you read all of FA and pathoma etc at some point or do you just read the parts u are interested in at the time?

Members don't see this ad :)

You guys have a 3x speed option? Impressive!

MS4: UpToDate, Anki, Radiopaedia, UWorld for Step 2, First Aid for Step 2CS

MS3: UpToDate, Anki, UWorld for Step 2, MKSAP, Pocket Medicine, Pestana's Surgery Notes, DSM 5, uWISE

MS1/2: First Aid for Step 1, UpToDate, Anki, UWorld for Step 1, Kaplan Qbank, Picmonic, school lecture videos

how do you balance all of that and determine which to use for what? Do you read all of FA and pathoma etc at some point or do you just read the parts u are interested in at the time?

Sketchy for Micro block and each Pathoma and FA chapter when in that block (Cardio v Neuro v Pulm etc.)

All again in Step 1 dedicated study time.

Sketchy for Micro block and each Pathoma and FA chapter when in that block (Cardio v Neuro v Pulm etc.)

All again in Step 1 dedicated study time.
how long does it take you to read each chapter? Do you take notes on the chapters/highlight/etc? I cant believe you can do all of that....Not sure how long each chapter is or how dense but id imagine itd take me an hour to reach and another 1/2 hour to hour to take notes for each

college: look at material for the first time 1-2 days before test
MS1: just listen to lectures daily, then really crank up studying 3-4 days before test
MS2: just listen to lectures daily, then crank up studying 5-7 days before test

Reactions: 1 user