How helpful are the NAI really?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinipig523

I like my job!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How helpful are the NAI drugs like oseltamivir and zanamivir against Flu?

I know relenza is more efficacious against both A and B while tamiflu is more of A than B.

I know the sx diminish by 1.3d... but how efficacious are these in severe flu cases? I have been looking for studies but have not found it yet...

Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

Neuraminidase inhibitors for preventing and treating influenza in healthy adults and children
"We identified that a large number of studies, including data from 60% of the people who have been involved in randomised, placebo-controlled phase III treatment trials of oseltamivir, have never been published. This includes the biggest treatment trial ever undertaken on oseltamivir that on its own included just over 1,400 people of all ages," noted Jefferson.

Having pieced together information from more than 16,000 pages of clinical trial data and documents used in the process of licensing oseltamivir, the Cochrane team raises critical questions about how well the drug works, as well as about its reported safety profile. While the drug did reduce the time to first alleviation of symptoms by an average of 21 hours, it did not reduce the number of people who went on to need hospital treatment.
http://www.cochrane.org/features/ne...reating-influenza-healthy-adults-and-children

Tamiflu: the battle for secret drug data
BMJ 2012; 345 doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.e7303 (Published 29 October 2012)
David Payne, editor, bmj.com
http://www.bmj.com/content/345/bmj.e7303

etc.

I don't recommend TamiFlu to my patients. I wouldn't take it myself.

Critically ill and hospitalized patients are a different situation – it's not terribly expensive in the context of even small potential benefits, and nausea/vomiting/neuropsychiatric side effects aren't really relevant. That being said, the evidence supporting its use in reducing mortality in the hospitalized patient is all retrospective and observational, and Roche isn't allowed to market it for that purpose.

Peds residents never want to hear this and give it to patients anyway.

Give them Tamiflu and a zpack. Imaginary effect drugs can counteract each others side effects. Maybe.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys... as per usual, this place is awesome. :thumbup:

The funny thing that borders on ridiculousness, I had a patient come in who had reported flu-like symptoms, seen 1 week prior and given tamiflu for the flu...after a negative flu swab...

The funny thing that borders on ridiculousness, I had a patient come in who had reported flu-like symptoms, seen 1 week prior and given tamiflu for the flu...after a negative flu swab...

To be fair, rapid influenza tests have very poor sensitivity (and very high specificity). See the January 13, 2013 issue of Annals of EM: "The results of rapid influenza diagnostic tests can be used to rule in but not rule out influenza."

If I think someone clinically has flu, I don't see a point in even running the flu swab. (I agree with all of the above regarding tamiflu. I generally only give it out to those who request it for patient satisfaction purposes.)

To be fair, rapid influenza tests have very poor sensitivity (and very high specificity). See the January 13, 2013 issue of Annals of EM: "The results of rapid influenza diagnostic tests can be used to rule in but not rule out influenza."

If I think someone clinically has flu, I don't see a point in even running the flu swab. (I agree with all of the above regarding tamiflu. I generally only give it out to those who request it for patient satisfaction purposes.)

that is true, and i agree that if it's obvious flu, it's obvious flu and will dx it as such. but I don't like ordering tests if I'm going to ignore the results. just give the tamiflu then and don't perform the test =p I do Rx it because sometimes the flu can be complete and utter absolute misery that 1 day better is huge. If they've been on antipyretics and motrin and they're still miserable looking i'll offer it. not like otitis or strep where it's really not that bad.

i have gotten some really ridiculous requests for tamiflu... in patients w/o any symptom of the flu! stuffy nose, isolated vomiting, etc.

i sit down, explain the CDC recommendations and the risk of GI distress and then ask them if they're ok w/ not taking it.

haven't had anyone continue to insist on taking it.

have given it to a few kiddos and older folks, but most of the sick pts i've seen needed to be admitted so they got it as an inpt.