1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

How helpful is USMLE studying for clerkship?

Discussion in 'Step I' started by canadagirl, Jul 31, 2006.

1. canadagirl

canadagirl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm in Canada, so I don't have to take the USMLE's, but I'm thinking that it would be useful as a focussed way of preparing for the clerkship years. Have you found that your USMLE preparation translated to better performance / better confidence / etc in clerkship?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. kito

kito Big Evil
    10+ Year Member

If you know your stuff from Step 1 cold, then no one can mess with you on the wards. The increasingly clinical nature of Step 1 is making students better clinicians faster.

4. Catalyst

Catalyst Enjoying Life
    10+ Year Member

usmle prep helps up to the point when I'm asked, "so what tests would you order to diagnose and how would you treat/manage this patient?"... for that I just have to study on my own

5. ddmo

ddmo BMF
    10+ Year Member

It seems like everything I know I learned studying for Step I. There is very little that I get pimped on that I don't know, or at least have an idea about. Another bonus is that studying for clerkships is easier since most of it is just a repeat of what was covered on the boards.

6. enanareina

enanareina small but scrappy
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I did very well on the step and feel like I know absolutely nothing in clerkship. Maybe I'm just not good at applying the knowledge, or I'm just not getting pimped on the stuff I learned for the step, but it seems that the important stuff in clerkship is completely separate from the important 1st and 2nd year stuff.