How how heavy are DFV 3.5 EF?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madirocks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I was looking into DFV for loupes. I am trying to decide between 3.5 vs. 3.5 EF. I really liked the way their nike frame fit. So my question is how much heavier do the 3.5 EF feel compared to just 3.5? And do I have to get a specific frame in order for the 3.5 EF to hold up ok? I am thinking the nike might not cut it for the EF

Members don't see this ad.

The 3.5 EF's are considerably heavier than the regular 3.5's. My rep strongly recommended the yeoman (buddy holly) frames due to their robust design. He mentioned that if I went with Nike's, I would be back in for a new frame within a year. For what its worth I've been happy with my DFV 3.5 EF's, but they are heavy.

The yeoman frames look like they are a lot more sturdy and durable compared to the nike frames. I always hear about how those yeoman frames last forever and do a better job at holding the cylinders.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I get my first pair I hope to get the Yeomans with dark lenses to match my Wayfarers.

Thanks for your opinions!
I did not find the yeoman frame comfortable when I first tried it. Prob because it was too small for my face, but I assume they would fix that, so I will give it a try when the rep comes again!

What do you guys think of just regular 3.5? would not being able to see the whole mouth has significant drawbacks?

They're definitely heavier than the nike frames but I honestly don't even notice them when i have the band tightened up. I highly recommend them.