How impactful is a research year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ophthowannabe1

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a sub-par applicant STEP 1 <230, 2 HP during 3rd year. I do have quite a few pubs (only 1 peer-reviewed article), but no ophtho related. So I want to try to do a research year to beef up my chances.

How much impact do you think a research year will have for me?

How much impact would a research year have on an applicant stronger than me?

Members don't see this ad.

I should mention that the year will be at a top 5 program

Members don't see this ad :)
Look, nobody has a crystal ball. You keep asking the same questions in different ways hoping for someone to tell you the future.

Obviously you're going to do a research year. You're still here and persistent. The best thing you can do is just do it. Keep your head down and work hard and stop asking everyone to predict the future. They can't. You can't control this you can only try and sway things in your favor.

To beat a dead horse:

NOBODY HAS THE ANSWER.

I know people at top 20 programs with scores under 220. I know people at middle tier programs or maybe even what some people say is a less desirable program with scores in the 250s. There are people every year who don't match with 245+

Things that we just don't know:

1) what happens between you and an interviewers 1 year from now.

2) how many ppl your PI knows and can actually sway to interview you

3) how productive you will be in your year off

4) where you are actually going

5) whether or not you are self aware and people actually like you

6) your ability to sell yourself and your interviewing skills

And even if we did know. Each admission committee is different and each selection process is different. Most people know little about how this works outside of their own program.

I am a sub-par applicant STEP 1 <230, 2 HP during 3rd year. I do have quite a few pubs (only 1 peer-reviewed article), but no ophtho related.

I have just started my 3rd year, and so I am running into 3rd year grading for the first time. I did well on Step 1 245+, did decent in the clinical years 25-50%, have quite a few publications (5 including posters…none ophtho yet).

What?