How Impactful Will These Extracurricular Activities Be ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smhmd

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Crisis Text Line: I was thinking helping people through this organization would be a good way of getting non-clinical volunteering during the pandemic.
Microbe Online Research: Its essentially an online research gig I guess if you can call it that. Its connected with an Ivy League school and I essentially do internet research on different microbes and update their encyclopedia of microbes. I'm not sure how useful this can be.
(I already have 150 hours of non-clinical volunteering and around 100 hours of clinical research + an agreement with a chem professor that after the pandemic I can be on his research team and do work for him and possibly even get published. I was wondering how useful would these extra activities be to a medical application?)

Crisis text line is pretty standard volunteering experience. Idk about the online research though

Both of those are great, but don't do them just to check off a box, do them because you want to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both of those are great, but don't do them just to check off a box, do them because you want to.
I mean yes ofc I find them interesting but I also want to know if they’ll be useful for med school admissions

I mean yes ofc I find them interesting but I also want to know if they’ll be useful for med school admissions

There’s no one activity that makes adcoms go “oh wow very impressive he did this” (unless you did something truly extraordinary, but if that were the case you wouldn’t need to consult sdn about it). Thousands of premeds will have similar volunteering, research, clinical experience. It’s about your level of engagement, how you write about them and how you grew as a result of your participation that matters more. Quality > quantity

Crisis text line is pretty standard volunteering experience. Idk about the online research though
Thanks for your help ! You think it would be possible to remove the quote of my original post though through editing ? I'm going to delete my question to remain as anonymous as possible, thanks.