• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

How Impactful Will These Extracurricular Activities Be ?

Hzreio

2+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2019
  1. Medical Student
Crisis Text Line: I was thinking helping people through this organization would be a good way of getting non-clinical volunteering during the pandemic.
Microbe Online Research: Its essentially an online research gig I guess if you can call it that. Its connected with an Ivy League school and I essentially do internet research on different microbes and update their encyclopedia of microbes. I'm not sure how useful this can be.
(I already have 150 hours of non-clinical volunteering and around 100 hours of clinical research + an agreement with a chem professor that after the pandemic I can be on his research team and do work for him and possibly even get published. I was wondering how useful would these extra activities be to a medical application?)

Crisis text line is pretty standard volunteering experience. Idk about the online research though

About the Ads

Hzreio

2+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2019
  1. Medical Student
I mean yes ofc I find them interesting but I also want to know if they’ll be useful for med school admissions

There’s no one activity that makes adcoms go “oh wow very impressive he did this” (unless you did something truly extraordinary, but if that were the case you wouldn’t need to consult sdn about it). Thousands of premeds will have similar volunteering, research, clinical experience. It’s about your level of engagement, how you write about them and how you grew as a result of your participation that matters more. Quality > quantity

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.